Did you ever come across a black and white pup and mistook the furry baby for an Affenpinscher? Chances are you saw a crossbreed of Affenpinscher and Shih Tzu—the Affen Tzu. These hybrid dogs are lovesome and perfect companions for just about any type of family.
They carry the sweet nature of Shih Tzus and the feisty, sassy traits of Affenpinscher. Just like their parent breeds, Affen Tzus are tiny little furballs who require considerable attention for grooming. Also, they demand special training for socialization and cannot be left alone at home.
Before adopting these quirky little furry mates, you must gather all the information about this breed. Ito save your time, we got you covered with all you need to know about Affen Tzus!
Affen Tzu History
Affen Tzus are designer dogs that have gained fame only recently, which is why little is known about their history. However, both Affenpinscher and Shih Tzu carry substantial histories. Affenpinschers were initially bred in Germany to guard farms and chase away rats and varmints. Over time, they gained fame and were bred to form companion dogs in the 18th century.
On the other hand, Shih Tzu originated in China and is one of the 14 oldest dog breeds. Though it has existed since the 17th century, the Chinese royals only allowed the species to go out in the 1930s. The American Kennel Club now recognizes both these breeds as purebreds. However, the adorable Affen Tzu does not fall in this category, and hence, is not recognized.
Affen Tzu Characteristics
Affen Tzus are little doggies who are known for their humor. They are witty and will leave you laughing on the floor. However, owing to their Affen parent, these pups can be stubborn and long for a constant companion. You may find these canines in a white and black, grey, brown, or red coat with medium to long fur.
How Big Do Affen Tzus Get
Since both their parents are tiny pooches, Affen Tzus carry on the tradition and only grow up to 8-12 inches. Plus, they are relatively lightweight, weighing around 11-15 pounds. The good thing here is that they make for excellent lapdogs, and you can carry your pooch around without many issues.
How Long Does Affen Tzu Live
Affen Tzu is a healthy canine in general and can accompany you on your journey for 11 to 15 years. However, you need to ensure proper care concerning its grooming, activity requirements, and nutrition to ensure the furball’s health.
How Much Does an Affen Tzu Cost
Affen Tzu is a relatively new breed and has gained some fame over time. Its beautiful fur and affectionate, funny nature has led to an increase in the furball’s demand. Therefore, you may get a healthy Affen Tzu pup for about $600-$1000. Do not forget to find out all about its parents and health background before you adopt the baby!
Affen Tzu Temperament/Personality
Affen Tzus are lovesome pooches who love companionship and are always ready for plenty of cuddles with their dog-parents. These pooches crave attention from everyone present around. However, they are not the same with other pets and strangers. These canines reflect the personality of their Affenpinscher parent through protective and territorial nature, especially when it comes to food.
That is why you must ensure that you teach children not to play with the canine’s food. However, the good part is that with little training, these furballs can become excellent social doggos. They will show off their intelligent side and entertain one and all throughout the day. When it comes to their human pack, these furry pooches are downright loyal and affectionate.
Caring for Affen Tzu
Though they are tiny babies, they do require some effort in grooming and care. Still, the good news is Affen Tzus are not heavy shedders, so you need not worry about your carpet or couch. Also, this makes them hypoallergenic, and thus, suitable for individuals with allergies.
Affen Tzu Nutrition
Affen Tzu has minimum food requirements. However, the small diet must suffice the energy bundle’s nutrition needs. Choose an energy-rich dog food for this kiddo that is specially made for small-sized pooches. Remember to feed the pup only 2-3 times a day. Free feeding may lead the tiny canine to be obese.
How to Groom an Affen Tzu
Affen Tzu sheds relatively less to no fur. However, a few grooming requirements include trimming its hair falling on the eyes and keeping the floppy ears clean. You may need to brush the pooch only 2-3 times a week to keep its fur free of tangles and debris. Also, make sure to clip its nails regularly.
Affen Tzu Activity Levels
Affen Tzus often get bursts of energy 2-3 times a day when they run around the house and perform tricks. Apart from that, you must ensure a walk of 25-30 minutes daily to keep the body healthy and worked-up. Additionally, do not forget to give the pup engaging puzzles and toys.
Caring for Affen Tzu
Affen Tzus always seek attention, especially from their human pack, and cannot be left alone. Despite their affectionate nature, these canines may be challenging to train. That is why they are best for owners who have experience and ample time to spend with the pooch. Also, remember to treat the kiddo while training.
Once trained, the Affen Tzu will be the best doggo you ever had. The furball will cuddle with you and be friendly with other humans and pets.
Affen Tzu Health
Though average Affen Tzu pups are healthy enough, they may inherit certain diseases from their parent breeds. The minor problems include ear and eye infections, patella luxation, etc. However, what you must be concerned about are hip dysplasia and hyperthyroidism.
The former affects the hip and leg joints of the doggo, while the latter results in dangerously increased thyroid hormones. Keep the doggo fit by ensuring the required exercise and nutrition!
Breeds Similar to Affen Tzu
Best Dog Food For Affen Tzus
For healthy joints and a well-functioning heart, the best dog food for Affen Tzus is Purina Pro Plan Adult Shredded Blend Chicken & Rice Formula Dry Dog Food. This prebiotic-rich commercial food contains poultry-by-product meal and fish meal as a source of glucosamine. This yummy diet has 26% protein along with guaranteed vitamins and minerals.
- The small kibbles are pungent as there is garlic oil in the recipe.
- These high protein kibbles are pretty tender and pop a unique taste with every bite.
- The omega-6 fatty acid is a vital ingredient of the food, which encourages soft and healthy skin.
Best Puppy Food For Affen Tzus
The best puppy food for Affen Tzus is Merrick Grain-Free Puppy Chicken & Sweet Potato Recipe Dry Dog Food for its appropriate ratio of protein and fat. Suitable for all breeds, the puppy food also includes turkey, egg products, deboned salmon, pea, etc. This recipe is packed with chondroitin, glucosamine, and taurine for overall development.
- This grain-free diet is perfect for weight watchers.
- Apples, blueberries, etc., takes care of the antioxidant balance in the food.
- This 401 Kcal/cup diet strengthens the hip bone and skeletal structure of the dog’s body.
Best Dog Bed For Affen Tzus
According to us, the best dog bed for Affen Tzus is PetFusion Ultimate Lounge Memory Foam Bolster Cat & Dog Bed w/Removable Cover. This classic gray or brown colored sofa bed has a stuffed pillow on all its sides except one. The manufacturers use 2 inches, 4 inches, and 6 inches high memory foam for different sizes of the model.
- This bed features a waterproof liner.
- The surface layer of the bed is made of cotton, and for the cover, the manufacturers have used polyester twill.
- The bed, along with its foam, can tolerate the machine wash.
Best Dog Crate For Affen Tzus
If you are looking for a private castle for your dog, the best dog crate for Affen Tzus is Petmate Single Door Collapsible Soft-Sided Dog Crate. The classic design of the crate features a unique arch shape with the ‘petmate’ logo on top of the main entrance door. The flexible shape of the crate allows you to place a white fleece mattress on the floor so that dogs can sit on it.
- The rolling curtains allow plenty of light and air to enter the crate.
- This portable and heavy-duty crate has a water-resistant base.
- This soft and cozy crate can be washed with the help of mild soap water.
Best Dog Harness For Affen Tzus
For easy and fast training, a dog harness is of utmost importance, and the best dog harness for Affen Tzus is Kurgo Journey Air Polyester Reflective No Pull Dog Harness. This dual colored toy has a fabric handle on the back so that you can lift your dog while passing through difficult terrain. There is a deep V neck, which reduces the strain on the neck.
- There are four release buttons in case you want to set free your Affen Tzu quickly in case of emergency.
- Along with regular use, one can use the harness for adventurous tasks also.
- This reflective harness allows you to use both the front and back rings for leash attachment.
Best Dog Collar For Affen Tzus
A flawless yet fashionable collar can change the image of your dog, and for this purpose, the best dog collar for Affen Tzus is EzyDog Checkmate Dog Collar. Made of high-quality nylon, the collar ensures a reliable fit with correct adjustment procedure. This comfortable training item lasts longer than these dogs can survive.
- The D ring and other components are built with sturdy steel.
- The reflective stitching ensures optimal visibility after sunset.
- This humane dog collar comes with a one year warranty and four size options.
Best Dog Muzzle For Affen Tzus
To modify the dogs’ behavioral traits, the best dog muzzle for Affen Tzus is Baskerville Ultra Dog Muzzle. This elegant tan-colored muzzle is an instrument to calm your dog down when it is too stressed or exciting. For mobility support, there is neoprene padding in the muzzle.
- The matching over-head strap meets the rear strap to ensure a tight fit.
- These holed grills let the dog breathe, pant, drink, and even eat wearing the muzzle.
- This tough and durable muzzle has a metal buckle and two slides as adjusting tools.
Best Dog Toy For Affen Tzus
The best dog toy for Affen Tzus is Jolly Pets 14″ Push-n-Play Dog Toy as it is apt for physical stimulation and keeping the dogs busy. Available in only purple and blue color, the giant toy is around 14 inches high. This bouncing ball brings out the athletic side of your Affen Tzu and helps in meeting the daily exercise requirement in a way.
- This is ideal for water sports and swimming lessons as it floats on water, luring the dogs.
- This safe and trustworthy toy has been made in the USA.
- Your dog can play with this rolling toy on difficult terrain.
Best Dog Brush For Affen Tzus
For an organized look, the best dog brush for Affen Tzus is Dakpets FURblaster Dog & Cat Grooming Glove. This efficient rubber glove has to be worn on the right hand only. This durable and unique-shaped brush dramatically collects all the loose hair from the coat, reducing shedding.
- This adjustable glove comes in grey color only.
- Ideal for any coat type, the brush enhances the connection between you and your Affen Tzu.
- This flexible grooming kit is ideal for massaging and a relaxing spa break.
Best Dog Shampoo For Affen Tzus
If you want to naturally groom your puppy and adult dog, the best dog shampoo for Affen Tzus is Burt’s Bees Tearless Puppy Shampoo with Buttermilk for Dogs, 16-oz bottle. This tearless shampoo includes glycerine and other soothing agents. The buttermilk moisturizes the coat and improves skin quality.
- This PH balanced shampoo is ideal for soothing irritated and rough skin.
- This mild shampoo can work simultaneously with the tick and flea treatment.
- This cruelty-free shampoo eliminates bad odors and enriches the fur fiber.
- Best Dog Food
- Best Dog Bowl
- Best Automatic Dog Feeder
- Best Interactive Dog Toys
- Best Dog Playpen
- Best Outdoor Dog Kennel
- Best Dog House
- Best Dog Crate
- Best Dog Treat
- Best Automatic Fetch Machine
- Best Dog Activity Monitor
- Best Dog Food Container
- Best Electronic Dog Door
- Best Dog Ramp
- Best Dog Cooling Vest
- Best GPS Tracker for Dogs
- Best Dog Bed
- Best Dog Cooling Pad
- Best Indestructible Dog Bed
- Best Dog Training Book