Do you love tiny doggos like the Chihuahua but also sassy like Affenpinschers? Well, you can get the best of both breeds in the exquisite—Affenhuahua. The name does sound different and may be slightly out of place, but that is certainly not the case with this breed.
Also known as Affen Chis, these little furballs have a petite body structure with high enthusiasm and cheer. They are playful buddies but will love to be your favorite lapdog. These designer dogs are usually grey, black, or dark brown in color, with moderate length fur. Affenhuahua has a short face and can melt you with their big round eyes.
That said, you must learn more about this breed before adopting one. Worry not, as we have done the work for you and gathered all you need to know about the Affenhuahua!
Several crossbreeds come into existence naturally, and the same happened with Affenhuahuas decades ago. However, they were artificially bred only in the late 1990s by crossbreeding Affenpinschers and Chihuahuas in the United States. The prime intention here was to get designer dogs who are tiny, cute, yet alert about strangers and intruders.
Over time, the demand for this lovesome mix breed has increased, which has also led them to dog shelters. Yes, despite being a designer breed, you may find the Affenhuahua in your nearby dog homes and rescue centers.
Affenhuahuas are cute little pups with a relatively small build and may have medium to long coats that are brown, black, grey, or tan. These pups are perfect apartment doggos and do not require high maintenance. Still, owing to their Chihuahua parents, they may get yappy and overly protective of their dog-parents. Nevertheless, they love their humans and accompany them for every activity.
How Big Do Affenhuahuas Get
Mix breeds mostly do not have a standard size. Still, descending from Affenpinschers and Chihuahuas, these pups have a short demeanor. They may grow up to be around 6 to 12 inches in height. Affen Chis make for perfect lapdogs as they only weigh about 4-12 pounds.
How Long Does Affenhuahua Live
On average, Affenhuahuas are relatively healthy, which is why they have a prolonged life span of 13 to 18 years. However, they may face a few joint issues that they get from their parent breeds. You must ensure a healthy diet and enough activity to prevent such problems.
How Much Does an Affenhuahua Cost
The Affenhuahua breed has gained quite some popularity in the 2000s. As a result, buying an Affenhuahua pup can be expensive. These designer doggies may cost around $400 to $700. However, you may also find lower or higher prices. Make sure to run a thorough background check about the health of the doggo as low prices reflect poor health.
Despite their small size, Affen Chis often consider themselves to be bigger than others. They are playful and lovesome yet stubborn and yappy simultaneously. Still, with regular training, they will easily be good kiddos who like to socialize. Otherwise, these canines may get territorial as they are not fond of other pets.
The Affenhuahua is considerably energetic. The pooch will run like crazy around the house but will also sit with you on the couch throughout the day. So, whether you want to binge-watch series or go on a hike, you got a companion. The same goes for children, provided you teach them the correct way of approaching dogs. These furballs are tiny and may get hurt if children do not treat them gently.
Caring for Affenhuahua
Affenhuahas are tiny designer dogs with high energy levels and standard activity requirements. Though they need mediocre grooming, you need to care for these little canines in extreme weather conditions. Read on to know all about how to care for Affenhuahuas.
Despite their small size, Affen Chis need energy foods to suffice for their activity levels. You must choose food that is specially designed for small doggie breeds. That said, make sure not to overfeed the doggo as your pup may end up gaining extra weight.
How to Groom an Affenhuahua
Most Affenhuahuas have short fur that does not require much grooming and is also harmless for people with allergies. However, some of these pups may get the long-fur coat from their Affenpinscher parents and require more brushing and clipping. Nevertheless, you must brush the furball once a week, wipe their ears, and keep the nails trimmed.
Affenhuahua Activity Levels
Both Affenpinschers and Chihuahuas have a considerable amount of energy, and the same goes for Affen Chi. These doggos will have a burst of energy for a short duration, a few times a day, where they will run around or yap excessively. You must take the doggo on a 20-30 minutes walk daily and provide enough toys to keep the pup mentally busy.
Caring for Affenhuahua
Affenhuahuas are small and often have a short coat, which is why they cannot bear extreme climates. You may need to get an added clothing piece for the canine in winters and provide enough shade in summers. Also, its face and ears will be highly-sensitive under the sun and require sunscreen.
Apart from that, Affen Chis require all the essential care treatments like other toy dogs. Along with a healthy diet, you must ensure enough activity to prevent obesity conditions in the canine.
Regular vet checkups are necessary for all dog breeds, and the same goes for Affenhuahuas. Though these furballs are generally healthy, they may be prone to a few hereditary diseases. These include hip dysplasia, patellar luxation, and collapsed trachea—most related to joints.
To prevent such diseases, take your furry friend on long walks daily. It will keep their tiny bones and joints functioning well. The other prime health concern in Affen Chis is their dental health. If you do not clean their teeth 2-3 times a week, these pups may develop several dental diseases.
Breeds Similar to Affenhuahua
Best Dog Food For Affenhuahuas
For proper physical growth, the best dog food for Affenhuahuas is Diamond Naturals Chicken & Rice Formula All Life Stages Dry Dog Food, 40-lb bag. Made with cage-free chicken, the commercial dry food supplies nutrients beneficial for all age groups. This prebiotic-rich diet boosts immunity and keeps the dog fit all through the year.
- This natural adult dog food combines real fruits and vegetables.
- This USA made food supports strong muscles and fills the body with enormous strength.
- This balanced diet combines egg products, barley, flaxseed, etc.
Best Puppy Food For Affenhuahuas
For structural development and nutritional requirements in puppies, the best puppy food for Affenhuahuas is Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Skin & Stomach Salmon & Rice Formula Puppy Dry Dog Food. This savory diet includes grains and corns, which are inevitable for the overall development and bone growth. This protein-rich food is also packed with antioxidants and vital minerals.
- This all-natural puppy meal is rich in vitamin supplements.
- The food is great for oral health and mobility support as it combines a good dose of calcium.
- Taurine makes this glucosamine rich meal good for heart health.
Best Dog Bed For Affenhuahuas
A soft and comfy bed can help your dog wake up in a good mood, and the best dog bed for Affenhuahuas is Best Friends by Sheri The Original Calming Shag Fur Donut Cuddler Cat & Dog Bed. The frost and taupe colored faux-shag material resembles the coat of the dog’s mother. This protective bolster bed provides medical support to senior dogs suffering from arthritis and weary dogs.
- This round orthopedic bed features an insulation layer to properly utilize the body warmth.
- This incredibly soft dog bed consists of extra filling to make it ultra-comfortable.
- This machine-washable dog bed features a nylon bottom that is water-resistant.
Best Dog Crate For Affenhuahuas
According to many working dog parents, the best dog crate for Affenhuahuas is MidWest iCrate Fold & Carry Single Door Collapsible Wire Dog Crate as it keeps the dogs locked in your absence. This black wired crate has a limited warranty, and for hassle-free storage you can also fold it down. The sturdy metal rods make it difficult for your Affenhuahua to push its way out.
- The roller feet help you to transfer it from one end of the house to another.
- The composite plastic tray helps you in cleaning and checking the bad odor.
- The slide bolt latches ensure safety and security for your dog.
Best Dog Harness For Affenhuahuas
For worry-free car rides, the best dog harness for Affenhuahuas is Kurgo Tru-Fit Smart Harness with Steel Nesting Buckles Enhanced Strength. Ideal for training, the harness discourages the dog’s Houdini acts on the road and helps them maintain the pace with you while walking. For the purpose of comfort, there is a chest pad added to the harness.
- The dispersion of kinetic energy prevents pulling and choking.
- For convenient handling and easy fit, there is a steel buckle and multiple adjustment points.
- This car safety harness restricts the movement of the dogs with its carabiner and seat belt loop.
Best Dog Collar For Affenhuahuas
To ornate your dog in a classic manner, the best dog collar for Affenhuahuas is Country Brook Design Paisley Polyester Martingale Dog Collar. This printed dog collar comes in pink, green, and purple, allowing the dogs to wear this dual loop item every season. It features a tri-glide slide for easy adjustment.
- The durable and strong polyester material prevents the dogs from removing the collar.
- This hand-crafted collar doesn’t cause damage to the nerves passing through the neck region.
- This everyday walking collar features metal slides also.
Best Dog Muzzle For Affenhuahuas
The best dog muzzle for Affenhuahuas is Baskerville Ultra Dog Muzzle for its sturdy design and adjusting quality. This ultra-muzzle helps dogs adapt to a new environment easily and find peace of mind while traveling by public transport. With its six sizes, the muzzles cover snout circumference up to 16 inches, and there is an over-head strap to prevent it from falling off.
- This muzzle not only deters wildlife scavenging but also allows breathing, panting, talking, etc.
- This ergonomic muzzle features pre-holed webbing and a special quality plastic rubber.
- This convenient and adjustable muzzle has neoprene padding for additional comfort.
Best Dog Toy For Affenhuahuas
Toys are always considered as the best gift for playful pets, and the best dog toy for Affenhuahuas is Bones & Chews Made in USA Cotton Rope with Bones Dog Toy, Color Varies. This rope toy is made of real dried beef bone, and due to its beef flavor, dogs love to lick it. The colorful ropes also satisfy the chewing instincts of the dogs.
- Though you can spot clean it, never apply any bleaching product on it.
- This USA made toy can be found in a wide range of colors.
- As there is no filler in the toy, you can stop thinking about your dog creating a mess at your home with such toys.
Best Dog Brush For Affenhuahuas
The best dog brush for Affenhuahuas is Hartz Groomer’s Best Slicker Dog Brush for its flat and oval shape. Ideal for mat removal and de-shedding, the brush has a long handle for a comfortable grip. The brush’s bristles are nicely coated and gently follow the body contour providing a massaging experience.
- This gentle, grooming kit softly brushes the wounded part.
- The use of this brush on wet skin ensures fur growth.
- This efficient dog brush collects fur balls from the floor and undercoat.
Best Dog Shampoo For Affenhuahuas
The best dog shampoo for Affenhuahuas is Douxo Chlorhexidine PS Dog & Cat Shampoo as it has an antiseptic quality. Along with treating the dry and rough skin, the shampoo also discourages the growth of bacteria and fungi. This medicated shampoo locks the moisture and nourishes the coat.
- A singular application of the shampoo shows the effective result for the coat, making it shinier and softer.
- An additional dose of fragrance de-odorizes the body of the dogs.
- It instantly reduces dandruff formation and bids goodbye to sticky fur forever.
- Best Dog Food
- Best Dog Bowl
- Best Automatic Dog Feeder
- Best Interactive Dog Toys
- Best Dog Playpen
- Best Outdoor Dog Kennel
- Best Dog House
- Best Dog Crate
- Best Dog Treat
- Best Automatic Fetch Machine
- Best Dog Activity Monitor
- Best Dog Food Container
- Best Electronic Dog Door
- Best Dog Ramp
- Best Dog Cooling Vest
- Best GPS Tracker for Dogs
- Best Dog Bed
- Best Dog Cooling Pad
- Best Indestructible Dog Bed
- Best Dog Training Book