The Alaskan Klee Kai is a loving, smart, and energetic dog breed that makes for a great companion-friend for you. The Inuit term “Klee Kai” translates to a “small dog.” Due to their striking similarity in terms of appearance, it’s also known as a Miniature Alaskan Husky.
This breed has a beautiful and distinguishable feature, that is, the light and dark shades on the face. You are in for regular workouts if you’re caring for an Alaskan Klee Kai. Although it’s a new breed, it’s become quite popular due to its loyalty and interactiveness. We’ve listed everything you should know.
Alaskan Klee Kai History
The Alaskan Klee Kai breed became popular in the 1970s in Wasilla, Alaska. They were created through the breeding of Alaskan Huskies with smaller Nordic dog breeds by Linda Spurlin.
She got this amazing idea when she discovered an undersized or miniature Husky. Many others, along with her, were instantly enamored by the beautiful dog. This encouraged her, and she set out on a Klee Kai creating spree.
Alaskan Klee Kai Characteristics
This breed is just like a cuter and smaller version of an Alaskan Husky. Your mini-husky could be a combination of any two colors, red, black, and grey. One with a solid white coat will not be considered amongst the original breed.
How Big to Alaskan Klee Kai Get
You can get yourself an Alaskan Klee Kai in three sizes; standard, miniature, and toy. The toy-sized grows to about 13″, the miniature ranges from 13″ to 15,” and the standard grows as high as 17″. Their weight can be anywhere from 5-22 pounds.
How Long Does Alaskan Klee Kai Live
Alaskan Klee Kai’s are categorized as purebreds and generally lead healthy lives for about 12-16 years. It’s a northern breed and must be raised in a happy, nourishing, and preferably enriching environment for long life. A Factor VII Deficiency needs to be strictly avoided.
How Much Does an Alaskan Klee Kai Cost
While we recommend you to rescue and adopt these tiny, friendly creatures, you always have the option to buy them. They can range from 1500$ to 2500$ on average and will prove to be one of your most fruitful investments in life. However, a well-bred Alaskan Klee Kai from a reputable breeder can cost as high as 3000$.
Alaskan Klee Kai Temperament/Personality
Beware! These little dogs are very charming and addictive. You are in for a lot of fun and bonding with these interactive dogs. They are extremely lively, curious, and intelligent. They are quick learners too.
Don’t be fooled by their minuscule appearance; they are loyal to a fault and maybe a little possessive of you. They are quite capable of protecting you and your family, at least to the best of their abilities.
Your Alaskan Klee Kai will likely be shy. While they will generally adapt real fast and grow to love you deeply, they are not considered very social. If you want a dog that is highly interactive and takes to everyone, maybe you should reconsider.
They will enjoy traveling with you and won’t cause any trouble when leashed. However, it will require some time and training from you to make them people-friendly. They will usually get along with other dogs.
Caring for Alaskan Klee Kai
Caring for an Alaskan Klee Kai is not that tricky or hectic, given the environment of your home is suitable for them. Here are some of their basic care needs that should be met for their well-being and longer life.
Alaskan Klee Kai Nutrition
Since your dog will most likely be very active, you must feed it accordingly with high-quality dog food. It should be filling enough to keep its energy levels up all day, so you can use a measuring cup. Over-feeding should also be avoided, even though they rarely develop obesity.
How to Groom an Alaskan Klee Kai
Your tiny Alaskan Klee Kai will be a big shedder! As mentioned before, they are hairy due to their double coat, and they blow it at least twice a year. That being said, frequent baths and brushing of hair should cover it. They don’t need much of your help, except for nail-trimming, teeth-brushing, and ear-cleaning. Being the charmers they are, they’ll be quite appearance-conscious themselves.
Alaskan Klee Kai Activity Levels
These dogs are highly active, and you need to keep them engaged. Due to their curiosity and high energy levels, they must be leashed, especially when you have company at home. If you live in high-rise buildings with little space, it will get difficult to manage their anxiety. A small backyard or a garden is a necessity for them to burn-off the energy. Leashed evening walks are also recommended.
Caring for Alaskan Klee Kai
These dogs crave your attention and affection, and they love being cuddled and played with. If they don’t get enough exercise or physical stimulation, they tend to develop anxiety. You can also contact a veterinarian for more detailed care guidance.
You must regularly take them out for walks and play with them. They don’t like being neglected and will require lots of love. With some time, you can efficiently train them to become more sociable, but you must respect that they are naturally shy.
With regards to upkeep and hygiene, you need to just provide basic help. They are self-sufficient and aware.
Alaskan Klee Kai Health
This breed is highly susceptible to Factor VII deficiency. While it has been controlled, your dog still needs to be protected against it. It can lead to severe bleeding after sustaining injuries or traumatic experiences as it’s a blood clotting disorder.
As this disorder is hereditary, it’s been significantly reduced with the help of effective breeding practices. Your Alaskan Klee Kai may also develop liver shunts or heart problems, so you must take it for routine visits to the veterinarian.
Breeds Similar to Alaskan Klee Kai
Best Dog Food For Alaskan Klee Kais
Adult dogs need a bowl full of nutrient-rich meals every day for adequate energy, and the best dog food for Alaskan Klee Kais is Diamond Naturals Lamb Meal & Rice Formula Adult Dry Dog Food. Apart from lamb meals, there are dried egg products, rice bran, millet, etc., to fill the stomach. It contains various vitamin-rich natural ingredients like papaya, oranges, blueberries, coconut, etc.
- The food is fortified with taurine, which works marvelously in taking care of the heart.
- Prebiotics builds a defensive wall against germs.
- This savory commercial adult dry food has been manufactured in the USA, and there is no artificial element in the recipe.
Best Puppy Food For Alaskan Klee Kais
If you want to fill your Alaskan Klee Kai’s stamina from top to bottom, the best puppy food for Alaskan Klee Kai is Taste of the Wild High Prairie Puppy Formula Grain-Free Dry Dog Food. This lip-smacking puppy food combines protein ingredients like lamb meal, buffalo, roasted venison, roasted bison, ocean fish meal, etc. This highly digestible meal is rich in omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids.
- The protein items build muscles in little dogs.
- This powerful meal supports the cognitive development of little puppies.
- The manufacturers of the food strictly follow the animal safety protocol.
Best Dog Bed For Alaskan Klee Kais
If you are looking for a trendy yet comfortable bed, the best dog bed for Alaskan Klee Kais is Paws & Pals 1800’s Newspaper Bolster Cat & Dog Bed. This nostalgic bed, with its raised pillow walls, creates a safe haven for your Alaskan Klee Kai. The core material of this dog bed is a fleece pad and cotton.
- This luxurious plush bed ensures easy portability.
- This high-quality dog bed features a neutral color for a classy appearance.
- This lightweight dog bed comes in three sizes with a one-month long warranty period.
Best Dog Crate For Alaskan Klee Kais
Suppose separation drives your dog crazy leading to destructive activities. In that case, you should definitely invest your money on a dog crate, and the best dog crate for Alaskan Klee Kais is Precision Pet Products Provalu Double Door Collapsible Wire Dog Crate. This private den provides your dog with an odor control sleep area. This long-lasting crate features a heavy-duty wire frame for sturdiness.
- The electro coat finish on the exterior part of the crate prevents it from corrosion and weather extremities.
- Like other crates, this one also includes complementary items like divider panel, plastic pan, etc.
- For easy transportation, there is a black carrying handle.
Best Dog Harness For Alaskan Klee Kais
If you want control in your dog’s life and a little help in its training, the best dog harness for Alaskan Klee Kai is EzyDog Chest Plate Dog Harness. This convenient harness has a long and wide chest plate to disperse the pressure evenly. This traditional back clip harness has two black buckles.
- The manufacturers have used EVA foam to construct the chest piece.
- For a secure fit, there are multiple straps and slides.
- The white stitch adds elegance to the harness, and it is available in 10 colors.
Best Dog Collar For Alaskan Klee Kais
The best dog collar for Alaskan Klee Kais is Frisco Patterned Polyester Dog Collar for its ergonomic design and supreme comfort. This retro-inspired collar comes in only geometric print and floral print. This stylish collar has nickel-coated parts and a plastic buckle for proper fit.
- This trendy collar is constructed with polyester webbing.
- This lab-tested collar can be spot cleaned or hand washed with mild cleaners.
- Though there are four sizes covering from 8 to 26 inches, you need to measure your Alaskan Klee Kai accurately before choosing the size.
Best Dog Muzzle For Alaskan Klee Kais
Dog muzzle can show the instant result on dog’s demeanor, and the best dog muzzle for Alaskan Klee Kais is PetSafe Dog Muzzle. The muzzle’s inner layer includes a generous amount of padding, which is why Alaskan Klee Kai can run wearing it pretty effortlessly. This handcrafted nylon muzzle checks the bad habit of biting, barking, and chewing.
- This thoughtful muzzle features an open front, and that is why it doesn’t suffocate the dog at all.
- This breathable dog kit arrives with a manual.
- The straps pass right below the eyes and ears.
Best Dog Toy For Alaskan Klee Kais
The best dog toy for Alaskan Klee Kais is Trixie Mini Mover Activity Strategy Game Dog Toy. This interactive toy has different types of slots to hide the dog treats or kibbles, and dogs dig out its rewards one by one. Designed for advanced players, the toy features non-slip rubber feet.
- The toy is dishwasher safe.
- You can adjust the level selection as per the performance and intelligence of your Alaskan Klee Kai.
- According to the ‘use and care instructions,’ there are four levels for this game.
Best Dog Brush For Alaskan Klee Kais
Regular grooming lessens the shedding, and the best dog brush for Alaskan Klee Kais is Safari De-Matting Dog Comb. This top-class dog brush is ideal for any fur length, and it eliminates the knots painlessly. The teeth have been built with rust-resistant steel.
- This unique-looking brush has a soft rubberized handle for a comfortable grip.
- This anti-slip brush boosts the blood circulation in the body.
- The ends of the teeth have been rounded to prevent any injury.
Best Dog Shampoo For Alaskan Klee Kais
For a dander-free coat, the best dog shampoo for Alaskan Klee Kais is Buddy Wash Original Lavender & Mint Dog Shampoo & Conditioner. This two in one shampoo is pretty gentle against irritated skin and wounds. The use of natural fragrance makes the bathing experience a refreshing one for dogs.
- This mild shampoo is absolutely free of alcohol, paraben, and soap.
- Rosemary, chamomile, tea oil, sage, etc., are present in the shampoo, and these act as conditioning agents.
- This deodorizing shampoo combines wheat protein.
- Best Dog Food
- Best Dog Bowl
- Best Automatic Dog Feeder
- Best Interactive Dog Toys
- Best Dog Playpen
- Best Outdoor Dog Kennel
- Best Dog House
- Best Dog Crate
- Best Dog Treat
- Best Automatic Fetch Machine
- Best Dog Activity Monitor
- Best Dog Food Container
- Best Electronic Dog Door
- Best Dog Ramp
- Best Dog Cooling Vest
- Best GPS Tracker for Dogs
- Best Dog Bed
- Best Dog Cooling Pad
- Best Indestructible Dog Bed
- Best Dog Training Book