The Arubian Cunucu belongs to the Caribbean islands of Aruba. They are currently not recognized as an official breed by any kennel or association. However, they are a popular breed among the locals of Aruba. These are energetic dogs and are very athletic.
They are a breed of sighthounds who were once hunting dogs. They are known to be tolerant, loyal, and occasionally enjoy the attention they get. They are also easy to train. The puppies and adult dogs of this breed show a similar temperament.
Arubian Cunucu History
The Arubian Cunucu is a descendant of pariah dogs or dogs known to roam freely around the outskirts of villages. These are domestic dogs that have developed over unrestricted breeding. This breed is a pariah dog from Aruba, from where it gets its name.
Cunucu means countryside, and this is where these dogs are known to reside. The breed is known to be a descendant of either the Portuguese Podengos or Iberian Hounds. The Arawak people have used them during their hunting activities in the area’s interior terrain.
Arubian Cunucu Characteristics
These dogs are bred unrestricted. Hence, you will notice wide variations in the physical characteristics of dogs of this breed. They can be recognized by their thin bodies and long muzzles set in delicate heads. They have long legs, and their eyes are almond-shaped.
How Big to Arubian Cunucu Get
These are medium-sized dogs. They grow to weights of between 25 to 40 pounds. They also have a height of about 16 to 20 inches. However, there might be a slight difference between the size and weight of a male and female Arubian Cunucu.
How Long Does Arubian Cunucu Live
The breed has a lifespan of between 12 to 15 years. If you care well for its general health, you will notice that they will remain healthy for a long time. You should also enquire about the dog’s parents’ health to get an insight into your pup’s life span.
How Much Does an Arubian Cunucu Cost
While the standard cost of an Arubian Cunucu is not known, you can go ahead and adopt the dog. The adoption fee for this breed will cover the veterinary care up to the point of adoption. It will also cover any travel costs and may come up to $325.
Arubian Cunucu Temperament/Personality
This unique breed is known to be very friendly towards everyone. These designer pups are also friendly towards strangers and get along with children very well. Many of these live on the Aruban streets. They are a favorite of tourists that visit the place which tends to spend a lot of time with them.
These hunting dogs have a high prey drive. Hence, they may not get on very well with cats. It would help if you also were careful when introducing them to any other smaller animals at home. They also tend to display hostile behavior towards any critters and lizards that are around.
However, they tend to be very friendly with other dogs. With proper socialization, they will get along well with any puppies you may have at home. These are intelligent dogs that you can train very quickly. Take the time out to teach them when they are puppies.
You can also go ahead and train them as adult dogs with a little effort. The Arubian Cunucu does not prefer spending time alone and is a needy breed. They get bored and even depressed if you leave them alone for long periods.
These dogs are also a very adaptable breed. From the streets to small apartments, they gladly adjust anywhere. Make sure to give them ample exercise if they are living in small apartments. They also need a lot of attention throughout the day.
Caring for Arubian Cunucu
These pariah dogs require little care to keep them strong and healthy. Good grooming and health practices are sure to keep them delighted and satisfied.
Arubian Cunucu Nutrition
These dogs require good nutrition to keep their energy levels high. You can feed them about 2.5 cups of food each day. You can also give them some delicious treats as you train them.
How to Groom an Arubian Cunucu
It is not difficult to groom an Arubian Cunucu as they have a short and smooth coat. You can brush their skin once a week using a slicker brush or even a grooming glove. This grooming schedule will help scheduling controlling the shedding and help keep their coat shiny, free of dirt, and supple.
Arubian Cunucu Activity Levels
These dogs require both physical stimulation and mental activities to keep themselves in their best shape. A lack of this can lead to boredom, and they may exhibit destructive behaviors. They are good sport dogs and are very agile. It is best to engage them in short training sessions.
Caring for Arubian Cunucu
These dogs have ears that fold over are likely to get dirt and other debris trapped in them. Hence, it is essential to check them regularly and keep them clean and dry. These dogs are also not able to handle cold climates too well. Therefore, take care to keep them warm.
You can also engage them in activities like flyball and lure coursing to keep them active throughout the day. They should easily cover a walking distance of about 10 miles each week. Keep them around people so that they remain happy.
Arubian Cunucu Health
These are relatively healthy dogs, and that are no recorded significant health concerns associated with this breed. You should, however, ensure that they get their regular veterinarian check. It is generally a full physical examination. You should also see to it that they are vaccinated.
Keep an eye on their ears as they may develop infections. With the right nutrition and good exercise, they will remain healthy. To keep them mentally healthy, it is essential to shower them with consistent affection and attention.
Breeds Similar to Arubian Cunucu
Best Dog Food For Arubian Cunucu
For improving growth and development, the Blue Buffalo Wilderness Chicken Recipe Grain-Free Dry Dog Food is apt for Arubian Cunucus. One of the primary ingredients in this meal is chicken, which is high in protein content and promotes muscle development. It contains essential vitamins and minerals, which provides the required energy for the day.
- The inclusion of vegetables ensures the production of sufficient energy.
- Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids promote the growth of a healthy and shiny coat.
- Regular consumption supports the development of a stronger immunity.
Best Puppy Food For Arubian Cunucu
For puppies of Arubian Cunucu, the Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Skin & Stomach Salmon & Rice Formula Puppy Dry Dog Food suits best. It provides a balanced amount of essential nutrients that are easy to digest by the developing digestive system and stomach. It also helps in nourishing health by promoting the growth of intestinal microbes.
- Salmon forms the primary ingredient, which is rich in protein.
- It includes rice that is easy to digest and supports faster absorption in puppies.
- Fish oil helps in mental and eye development along with better immunity.
Best Dog Crate For Arubian Cunucu
The Frisco Fold & Carry Double Door Collapsible Wire Dog Crate is ideal for keeping Arubian Cunucus protected when left unsupervised. There are double doors for easy entry and exit, and has a locking system to ensure security. There is a removable plastic tray beneath the crate, which is easy to wash after urination or excretion.
- A divider panel in it provides the required space as per age and size.
- With minimal effort while assembling, it is also easy to dismantle while storing.
- It can be well-folded for convenience to carry while traveling.
Best Dog Bed For Arubian Cunucu
Since Arubian Cunucu requires a separate space to sleep, the FurHaven NAP Ultra Plush Orthopedic Deluxe Cat & Dog Bed is apt. Beneath the soft fabric, there is a layer of supporting foam, which reduces muscle pains and pressure from joints. The upper layer is ideal for snuggling and provides a comfortable place to relax and rejuvenate.
- The false fur on the top layer provides warmth to the body during colder weather.
- Entering and exiting the bed is not complicated and does not require jumping.
- It accompanies a cover that is easy to wash in case of natural calls.
Best Dog Harness For Arubian Cunucu
For minimizing the forward pull of a leash during strolls, the PetSafe Easy Walk Dog Harness is best for Arubian Cunucus. It does not harm or choke in the neck but allows more control by mild tightening around the chest. The plastic buckle and the metallic rings, along with adjustable straps, ensures a customized fit.
- It makes outdoor walks more convenient with better comfort and security.
- Buckles and straps are easy to open and close, which makes it manageable to wear.
- The loop around the chest prevents it from twisting or harming the body.
Best Dog Collar For Arubian Cunucu
For enhancing the overall appearance of Arubian Cunucus, the PetSafe Quick Snap Buckle Nylon Martingale Dog Collar is appropriate. They are safe to use and cause no health hazards even if worn daily, but tightens whenever required for safety. They help in gaining more movement control and prevent escaping and harming others.
- The material is gentle and soft on the skin and does not cause itching or matting.
- It is adjustable as per the age and size, thus suits all growing stages.
- It is easy to wear or remove and has a metallic ring for leash attachment.
Best Dog Muzzle For Arubian Cunucu
To calm down Arubian Cunucus during over-excitement or anxiety, the Baskerville Ultra Dog Muzzle serves as a savior. They fit perfectly around the nose and have a small opening near the mouth for natural eating or drinking. The secure and gentle straps attach well and prevent self-removal, thus ensuring others’ protection from sudden biting or chewing.
- Its softness on the skin and light in weight makes it easily wearable.
- Since it is made of plastic, it is sturdy and durable enough.
- It is ideal for usage during behavior correction programs.
Best Dog Toys For Arubian Cunucu
While leaving Arubian Cunucus alone, the KONG Cozie Marvin the Moose Plush Dog Toy engages them in playtime. Along with preventing loneliness and it also helps in snuggling due to the soft fabric and stuffing. There are multiple layers of material, which makes it sturdy enough for ensuring longevity.
- The stuffing inside is very less and prevents a mess in and around the house.
- It is ideal for the fetching and also comforts from anxiety.
- There are squeakers inside, which adds extra fun and increases the duration of playtime.
Best Dog Brush For Arubian Cunucu
Maintaining the coat Arubian Cunucus is easier with the Hertzko Self-Cleaning Dog & Cat Slicker Brush. It is mild on their skin and removes any possible dirt and dust from underneath the coat. None of the bristles cause irritation or itching on the skin, and the non-slipping handle is suitable for long hours of grooming.
- Cleaning the brush is easy with just the press of a button, which releases all debris.
- The structure of the handle prevents wrist pain with long-duration use.
- Regular massaging with it promotes better blood circulation.
Best Dog Shampoo For Arubian Cunucu
The PetAg Fresh ‘N Clean Scented Dog Shampoo, is ideal for deep cleansing the skin and coat of Arubian Cunucus. Since all the ingredients are organic, it is safe to use on their skin and retains the moisture yielding refreshing skin for a long time. It prevents the accumulation of dirt and also avoids the release of bad odor.
- Its neutral formula includes all botanical ingredients.
- Along with moisturizing the skin, it also contains conditioners, which provide nourishment.
- The application is easy and creates a lot of lather, which makes bathing a fun activity.
- Best Dog Food
- Best Dog Bowl
- Best Automatic Dog Feeder
- Best Interactive Dog Toys
- Best Dog Playpen
- Best Outdoor Dog Kennel
- Best Dog House
- Best Dog Crate
- Best Dog Treat
- Best Automatic Fetch Machine
- Best Dog Activity Monitor
- Best Dog Food Container
- Best Electronic Dog Door
- Best Dog Ramp
- Best Dog Cooling Vest
- Best GPS Tracker for Dogs
- Best Dog Bed
- Best Dog Cooling Pad
- Best Indestructible Dog Bed
- Best Dog Training Book