American English Coonhound is a historic breed known specifically for its hunting abilities. Despite being a “coon” killer, this breed is also a great, loyal family dog who loves to cuddle up with his owners on the couch.
This courageous and loyal breed deserves the best possible care. Below are the 10 best essentials, accessories, and toys you can use to properly care for your American English Coonhound.
Best Dog Crate for American English Coonhound
Due to his hunting instincts, the American English Coonhound tends to chase after small animals and other prey. To prevent him from doing this, you will need to provide your pet with a very secure enclosure. He will also require an enclosure that is suited for all weather types, since your Coonhound desires to be outside. Because of this, the LUCKUP Heavy Duty Dog Cage is ideal for the American English Coonhound.
- The heavy-duty frame is made from rust and corrosion-resistant material to withstand all weather types.
- The triangle roof and double-door design maximize the space within the cage, so your dog has room to move around.
- The removable slide-out plastic tray makes for easy cleaning.
See other dog crate reviews.
Best Dog Bed for American English Coonhound
Despite the courageous and adventurous nature of American English Coonhounds, they love to cuddle up on the couch or the bed with their owners. Give your pet the comfort of a couch in his own space with the BarkBox Memory Foam Dog Bed, which fits inside most standard-sized dog crates. This cozy bed is made of orthopedic memory foam, which is perfect for American English Coonhounds, who can be prone to developing hip dysplasia.
- The bed comes with a removable cover, waterproof lining, and a free squeaker toy.
- For ease of cleaning, this orthopedic bed is machine washable.
- The memory foam crate mat can be removed for car rides.
See other dog bed reviews.
Best Dog Leash for American English Coonhound
Bred as a natural hunter, the American English Coonhound has instincts to run and chase after small prey. It’s important to get your Coonhound a leash that will hold him securely. The Terrain D.O.G. Brahma Webb Hunting Dog Leash is made for dogs that hunt, but it is also great for regular walks around the neighborhood. Even better, this leash is a natural brown, made to blend in with outdoor surroundings.
- The durable brahma web material makes this leash extra secure.
- The special material is easy to clean and protects against moisture, rotting, odors, and abrasions.
- It features a handle snap and floating ring for easy tree and post tying.
See other dog leash reviews.
Best Dog Bowl for American English Coonhound
The American English Coonhound was bred to love the outdoors. His favorite adventure is going on hunting trips with you. He will need a dog bowl that is portable and great for outdoor travel. The Timber and Tide Collapsible Dog Bowl is perfect for these types of excursions.
- This heavy-duty canvas travel bowl has a waterproof interior to hold food or water at any time.
- Foldable and packable, this bowl is easy to store in your backpack or small bag.
- This bowl also comes with a full year product warranty.
See other dog bowl reviews.
Best Dog Brush for American English Coonhound
Grooming an American English Coonhound is fairly easy because the breed has very short hair. This breed does shed slightly, but regular brushing will take care of this. All you will need to groom your American English Coonhound properly is a hound brush or mitt, such as the Pet Grooming Glove with Enhanced Five-Finger Design.
- This glove is designed to easily and gently remove lose fur and tangles to prevent shedding.
- The five-finger design allows you to brush places like the face and tail.
- The rubber tips provide your pet with a relaxing massage during grooming.
See other dog brush reviews.
Best Dog Toys for American English Coonhound
The American English Coonhound gets his name from “coon” hunting. There is no better way to pay tribute to his racoon-hunting roots than to provide him with a racoon toy. This SPOT SKINEEZ Stuffless Dog Toy will be a perfect addition to your Coonhound’s playtime.
- Because this toy is stuffless, there is no need to worry about plush stuffing exploding all over your house if the toy gets ripped.
- This toy is ideal for use in tug-of-war, so multiple pets can play together.
- There is a squeaker present in both the head and the tail of the raccoon.
See other interactive dog toy reviews.
Your American English Coonhound needs interactive toys that will keep his mind sharp and keen. The Outward Hound Interactive Puzzle Toy is a plush hide-and-seek activity for your dog that looks just like the rodents he likes to chase in the yard. After you hide the rodents in the plush tree trunk, your dog can spend hours entertaining himself by sniffing them out and “hunting” them.
- Each rodent has a hidden squeaker that adds to the hunt.
- This interactive boredom buster is great to prevent your dog from destructive behavior.
- This toy also comes in different forms, such as the hedgehog in a log version or the bee in a beehive version.
See other plush dog toy reviews.
As a natural hunter, your American English Coonhound will love a dog toy that allows him to hunt “prey” with his sniffing and digging skills. The UOLIWO Dog Treat Dispensing Toy looks like a plain plush duck, but inside there are various compartments to hide treats. Your hunting partner will love digging out his little treats as a reward for all his hard work.
- This high-quality puzzle plush is safe, soft, and durable for playing, even for rough dogs.
- Chewing on this puzzle toy will reduce your pet’s anxiety and help keep his teeth clean.
- Each duck toy includes 4 squeakers for added entertainment.
See other indestructible dog chew toys.
Best Dog Bones for American English Coonhound
Your American English Coonhound will love tracking an authentic deer hide with this Dog Bone Game Recovery Kit. This kit is a complete training and wounded game tracking system that will keep your dog’s hunting and tracking skills as sharp as a knife. The kit includes a genuine deer hide, blood trail training scent, drag line, and a training manual.
- The blood training scent is made from real deer blood.
- The heavy-duty drag line is 10 feet long for conducting live drags during training.
- This kit can train almost any dog to track wounded game.
See other bully stick reviews.
Best Training Book for American English Coonhound
It is recommended that American English Coonhounds are trained starting at a very young age. The American English Coonhound: A Complete Comprehensive Beginners Guide will teach you how to buy, own, care for, groom, train, and understand your dog. This guide gives an in-depth explanation of everything you need to know about raising an American English Coonhound.
- This book is suitable for current and prospective American English Coonhound owners.
- You will also learn about the common health conditions of the breed and how to care for your pet.
- You can use this guide from puppy stage to old age.
See other dog training book reviews.
- American Foxhound
- Redbone Coonhound
- Bluetick Coonhound
- Black and Tan Coonhound
- Treeing Walker Coonhound