Originating in central Africa, the Basenji was bred as a hunting dog. This breed yowls instead of barking, which is why it is sometimes called the “African barkless dog.” This small breed is alert, energetic, and curious, but can be wary around strangers. The Basenji will likely become very attached to one single human and pledge loyalty to him alone. Read on to learn about the 10 best Basenji essentials, accessories, and toys.
Best Dog Crate for Basenji
As a hunting dog, your Basenji will enjoy the great outdoors. The Noz2Noz Soft-Krater Indoor & Outdoor Crate for Pets is great for enjoying alone time inside or outside because it is weather-resistant. Wary around strangers, your Basenji will also enjoy the added privacy of the sunshade.
- This durable crate is made from heavy-duty tight-weave mesh fabric for ventilation.
- Ideal for pets up to 70 pounds, your Basenji will have no problem sprawling out in this roomy crate.
- This crate is easy to fold up and take with you on-the-go.
See other dog crate reviews.
Best Dog Bed for Basenji
After a long day hunting in the sun, your Basenji will appreciate a bed that helps him stay cool both indoors and outdoors. The Coolaroo Elevated Pet Bed is made out of breathable HDPE fabric to eliminate hot spots. Combined with the elevated steel frame, your Basenji will stay cool no matter the weather.
- This elevated bed is flea, mite, and mold resistant.
- The portable design makes this bed great for travel as well.
- The durable steel frame can support pets of all sizes but is light enough to carry around.
See other dog bed reviews.
Best Dog Leash for Basenji
The Harness Lead Escape Resistant is perfect for breeds that are energetic and have a tendency to slip out of their collars and escape. This leash tightens around the barrel when your dog tries to escape, but never tightens around the neck. Your Basenji, despite his love of running, is not escaping this one.
- This leash is of superb quality, handcrafted in the USA.
- The adjustable straps can fit any body size.
- If your dog attempts to back out of the harness, it will tighten like a slip lead.
See other dog leash reviews.
Best Dog Bowl for Basenji
The URPOWER Dog Bowls Stainless Steel Dog Bowl with No Spill Non-Skid Silicone Mat is perfect for dogs less than 70 pounds. The double bowls can hold both food and water for a full dinner set. Combined, the bowls can hold up to 53 ounces of water, wet food, or dry food.
- Both the silicone stand and the stainless-steel bowls are rust-resistant and dishwasher-safe.
- The no-spill silicone matt prevents spills and messes on your floor.
- The stand also keeps the bowls from flipping and skidding while your pet eats.
See other dog bowl reviews.
Best Dog Brush for Basenji
Basenjis have short coats and therefore do not require extensive grooming. However, this breed can still shed. To prevent shedding, try the Pet Neat Pet Grooming Brush, which is a professional deShedding tool used for both dogs and cats.
- This brush can reduce shedding by up to 95% in just 10 minutes.
- This grooming tool is durable and designed to last for years.
- You can keep pet allergies at bay by using this tool to easily remove loose fur.
See other dog brush reviews.
Best Dog Toys for Basenji
Basenjis are a very determined and ruthless breed when it comes to their prey. When it comes to plush toys, this can be a problem. The ZippyPaws Skinny Peltz No Stuffing Squeaky Plush Dog Toys are designed without stuffing to prevent your pet from ripping them apart.
- Each toy is 18 inches long, making them large enough for hours of chewing.
- Each toy includes three different squeakers for added fun.
- These toys don’t contain any plastic parts, which can be a choking hazard for dogs.
See other interactive dog toy reviews.
Your Basenji needs interactive toys that will keep his mind sharp and keen. The Outward Hound Hide-A-Squirrel and Puzzle Plush Squeaking Toy for Dogs is a plush hide-and-seek activity for your dog that looks just like the rodents he likes to chase in the yard. After you hide the rodents in the plush tree trunk, your dog can spend hours entertaining himself by sniffing them out and “hunting” them.
- Each rodent has a hidden squeaker that adds to the hunt.
- This interactive boredom buster is great to prevent your dog from destructive behavior.
- This toy also comes in different forms, such as the hedgehog in a log version or the bee in a beehive version.
See other plush dog toy reviews.
The PAW5 Wooly Snuffle Mat will cater to your Basenji’s natural instincts of hunting and foraging for food. This toy allows your dog to put his brain and his nose to work seeking out the delicious treats you’ve hidden in the mat. This will be a challenge for your dog that encourages his natural foraging skills.
- The feeding mat is easy to fill with your pet’s favorite treats.
- It is machine washable for easy care.
- Practicing these skills mimics the real hunt for food in nature.
See other indestructible dog chew toys.
Best Dog Bones for Basenji
For small dogs who appreciate real, natural flavor, the Benebone Real Flavor Wishbone Dog Chew Toy is a great option to keep your chewing pet happy and healthy. Flavored with real chicken, peanut butter, or bacon, this bone has an irresistible flavor and scent. The wishbone shape also helps smaller dogs grasp the entire bone at once.
- This bone is strong, durable, and not edible.
- The entire bone is made and packaged in the USA.
- This bone comes in larger sizes if your dog prefers something bigger.
See other bully stick reviews.
Best Training Book for Basenji
Many dog training manuals are thorough, but difficult and lengthy to read and implement. This is not the case with 101 Dog Tricks: Step by step Activities to Engage, Challenge, and Bond with Your Dog. With this guide, you will learn daily, manageable steps to correcting common behavior problems and creating the best relationship possible with your pet.
- This guide is a New York Times bestseller with over a half-million copies sold worldwide in 40 different languages.
- Each trick has step-by-step photo instructions, a difficulty rating, and prerequisite training recommendations.
- You can teach your dog to dance, kiss, and even do chores with this guide.
See other dog training book reviews.
- Ibizan Hound
- Pharaoh Hound
- Rhodesian Ridgeback