In France, this short-legged hound dog was originally bred to hunt hare. Basset Hounds have a phenomenal sense of smell and are phenomenally stubborn. Basset Hounds love to track, hunt, and bark at whatever they find. This breed is also rather friendly and playful.
Below are the 10 best Basset Hound essentials, accessories, and toys.
Best Dog Crate for Basset Hound
As a relatively smaller breed, the Basset Hound will need a smaller crate that he will feel secure in. The MidWest Homes for Pets Dog Crate is the ideal size for a Basset Hound puppy or adult. In addition, the double-door design allows for easy entry and exit from the side of the front of the crate.
- The divider panel allows the crate to grow as your pet grows.
- The smaller size of the crate will cater to your Hound’s natural “den” instincts.
- No tools are required for assembly, meaning the crate can be easily folded up for travel and re-assembled again without hassle.
See other dog crate reviews.
Best Dog Bed for Basset Hound
Prone to developing arthritis later in life, Basset Hounds will require a dog bed that is easy to get on and off of, especially considering their short legs. The Milliard Premium Orthopedic Memory Foam Dog Bed provides comfort to all pets, especially those with joint problems. This bed is also made from durable materials that will stand the test of time.
- The non-slip cover is waterproof and anti-microbial to prevent the growth of mold and mildew.
- This bed is ideal for shorter breeds like the Basset Hound.
- The cover is zip-off to put in the washing machine for easy care.
See other dog bed reviews.
Best Dog Leash for Basset Hound
Basset Hounds have loose skin around the neck, so you don’t want a neck leash that will be a nuisance. The PetLove Soft Leash Padded No Pull Dog Harness is designed to fit around the torso with soft sponge padding in the chest and belly. The straps are adjustable for a custom fit for your pet.
- The reflective material increases visibility at night.
- The leash material is durable and scratch resistant.
- The harness is easy to slip on your dog quickly.
See other dog leash reviews.
Best Dog Bowl for Basset Hound
With loose, dangling skin, your Basset Hound is sure to make a mess during dinnertime, even if it’s just an accident. The Neater Feeder Deluxe Dog Bowl can prevent spills and messes, making your life easier. This feeder is also slightly elevated, which is great for your pet’s joints and proper digestion.
- This bowl is spill-proof: the food stays on top and the water can drain below.
- It is also kick-proof, saving your nice hardwood floor.
- This feeder comes in a variety of sizes and colors and can be used for multiple pets simultaneously.
See other dog bowl reviews.
Best Dog Brush for Basset Hound
Basset Hounds have short coats and therefore do not require extensive grooming. However, this breed can still shed. To prevent shedding, try the Pet Neat Pet Grooming Brush, which is a professional deShedding tool used for both dogs and cats.
- This brush can reduce shedding by up to 95% in just 10 minutes.
- This grooming tool is durable and designed to last for years.
- You can keep pet allergies at bay by using this tool to easily remove loose fur.
See other dog brush reviews.
Best Dog Toys for Basset Hound
As a scent hound, the Basset Hound has an instinct to hunt small rodents. Cater to this instinct with the Outward Hound HedgeHogZ Plush Dog Toy, which comes in multiple sizes. In addition to a cozy plush, this toy can also be used as an interactive fetch toy.
- The built-in squeaker makes this toy irresistible to your pet.
- This toy contains no plastic parts, which can be a choking hazard for dogs.
- The unique rounded shape allows your pet to snuggle up to this little creature during sleep.
See other interactive dog toy reviews.
Your Basset Hound will love hunting small little animals. The Outward Hound Hide-A-Squirrel is a plush hide-and-seek activity for your dog that looks just like the rodents he likes to chase in the yard. After you hide the rodents in the plush tree trunk, your dog can spend hours entertaining himself by sniffing them out and “hunting” them.
- Each rodent has a hidden squeaker that adds to the hunt.
- This interactive boredom buster is great to prevent your dog from destructive behavior.
- This toy also comes in different forms, such as the hedgehog in a log version or the bee in a beehive version.
See other plush dog toy reviews.
The PAW5 Wooly Snuffle Mat will cater to your Basset Hound’s natural instincts to sniff out and hunt his food. This toy allows your dog to put his brain and his nose to work seeking out the delicious treats you’ve hidden in the mat. This will be a challenge for your dog that strengthens his natural tracking skills.
- The feeding mat is easy to fill with your pet’s favorite treats.
- It is machine washable for easy care.
- Practicing these skills mimics the real hunt for food in nature.
See other puzzle dog toy reviews.
Best Dog Bones for Basset Hound
To satisfy your Basset Hound’s natural urge to chew, you will need a durable toy that your pet will also find entertaining. The Nylabone Dura Chew Textured Ring can satisfy your pet’s need to chew while also providing him with a tasty flavor. Unlike many chew toys and bones, this ring isn’t edible and therefore can be used many, many times.
- The various textures keep your pet entertained and chewing for hours.
- Chewing can help keep your dog’s teeth clean and prevent cavities.
- This flavor medley can satisfy your dog’s need to taste something delicious without the added calories.
See other bully stick reviews.
Best Training Book for Basset Hound
Dog training is often made out to be extremely difficult, and sometimes impossible. Many new dog owners are even willing to pay large sums of money to have professional trainers teach their pets how to behave. But, with Lucky Dog Lessons: Train Your Dog in 7 Days, training your own pet doesn’t have to be difficult.
- This training manual is written by celebrity dog trainer and star of Lucky Dog, Brandon McMillan.
- You will learn to trust McMillian’s 7 simple commands for teaching your dog all he needs to know.
- McMillian uses his playful and kind approach to training to help you learn from his own training experiences over the years.
See other dog training book reviews.
- English Cocker Spaniel