Canines, just like humans, need to eat a well-balanced dog food filled with wholesome ingredients that meets their nutritional needs. You’ve already gone to great lengths to make sure that you have selected a premium quality formula from one of the best dog food brands, such as a grain free dog food, a dog food for allergies, a raw dog food, or an organic dog food – or whatever other type of recipe best meets your pup’s dietary requirements. But what about the dog treats you offer him? Have you put just as much careful consideration into selecting a high quality, healthful treat that is made with the best possible ingredients?
If the answer to the above question is ‘no’, and you do want to make sure that the treats you reward your pet with are just as wholesome as the food you are filling his dog bowl with, then you should seriously consider dehydrated dog treats.
What exactly are dehydrated dog treats? What type of benefits do they offer? You’ll find the answers to these questions in this guide, but first, let’s take a look at some of the best dehydrated treats for dogs out there:
Dehydrated Dog Treat Review Center 2019
|Image||Dehydrated Dog Treats||Rating|
|#1 - The Honest Kitchen Beams Fish Skin Chew Treats for Dogs||99%|
|#2 - Cat-Man-Doo Extra Large Dried Bonito Flakes Cat & Dog Treats||96%|
|#3 - Blue Ridge Naturals Sweet Tater Fries Dog Treats||92%|
|#4 - Sam's Yams Dog Treats||88%|
|#5 - Nature's Logic Dog Treats||84%|
Which one should you choose? To find out more about each option and make the best selection for your pet, read through the reviews below. Once you decide on one, click on the buttons to find the best prices currently available on Chewy and Amazon.
#1 – The Honest Kitchen Beams Fish Skin Chew Treats for Dogs
The first option on our list of the best dehydrated dog treats comes from The Honest Kitchen, a highly reputable manufacturer of all-natural pet products, including human-grade dog food and probiotics for dogs. They offer several different types of dehydrated dog treats, and all of them are just as wholesome as the other products that they make and contain the best possible ingredients. For example, Their Dehydrated White Fish Filets Dog and Cat Treats feature just one ingredient: wild-caught white fish that has been carefully dehydrated to remove the moisture content and preserve the nutritional quality – and the taste.
The dehydrated dog treats that are offered by The Honest Kitchen are suitable for dogs of all ages, including puppies (that are old enough to eat solid food), adolescents, adults, and seniors. They are also suitable for dogs of all sizes, from the tiniest Yorkshire terrier to the beefiest mid-sized Beagle, to the most massive Mastiff. Since they’re an excellent source of protein, they also make a great treat for dogs that are prone to joint health conditions, just as Great Danes, Chow Chows, and Newfoundlands. Offered these treats along with a dog joint supplement to strengthen those bones and muscles and you could possible prevent the development of hip dysplasia and arthritis! Based on the reviews that we read, most pet parents are delighted with these treats – as are their pets. One customer even said that they are “like catnip for dogs!”
What We Like About It
- Made of premium quality ingredients that are carefully dehydrated
- Completely free artificial preservatives, flavors, colors, GMOs, and grains
- USDA approved human grade quality treats
- High in protein
- Low in calories
Reasons to Complain
- Some customers said that they appear to be different than what the same product they purchased at the pet store
Final Verdict: If you’re looking for a high protein, low calorie, all-natural treat for your pooch, then you should seriously consider The Honest Kitchen Beams Fish Skin Chew Treats for Dogs. These treats offer a palatable flavor that your pet will love, and contain absolutely no harsh ingredients, which you will love!Amazon
#2 – Cat-Man-Doo Extra Large Dried Bonito Flakes Cat and Dog Treats
Though they may have the word “cat” in the name, the Cat-Man-Doo Extra Large Dried Bonito Flakes Can and Dog Treats are definitely suitable for your canine companion. They claim to be the highest quality dehydrated flakes on the market, and while we couldn’t verify that claim, from our assessments, we can agree that they are definitely excellent!
Made from a single source or protein, these dehydrated dog treats are high in the muscle-building protein that your pooch needs to support a healthy musculoskeletal system, yet they are low in fat and calories, so they won’t pack on the pounds. If your pooch could stand to lose a few pounds, offering him these treats in addition to a dog food for weight loss should certainly help him maintain a healthy weight. They also contain taurine, a vital nutrient that canines need to thrive. Plus, the fish oils in these treats will help to strengthen the health of your pup’s skin and make his coat more lustrous, too. Free of artificial additives and preservatives, you can have peace of mind knowing that you are giving your furry friend the very best! The majority of customers who have used these dehydrated dog treats are very happy with them. Many users said that even their picky eaters gobbled them right up!
What We Like About Them
- Made of a single source of natural protein
- Free of artificial flavors and preservatives
- Packed with protein, taurine, and fish oil
- Low calories
- Palatable flavor
Reasons to Complain
- Some pet parents said that they have a pungent smell
Final Verdict: Cat-Man-Doo Extra Large Dried Bonito Flakes Cat and Dog Treats are a tasty dehydrated dog treat that your furry friend will be sure to love! Use them as a stuffing for puzzle toys for dogs, offer them as rewards as you’re teaching your pooch commands from a dog training book, or just use them as a healthy supplement to his food.Amazon
#3 – Blue Ridge Naturals Sweet Tater Fries Dog Treats
If you’re a vegetarian or a vegan, or if your dog has to eat reduced amounts of protein for health reasons, Blue Ridge Natural Sweet Tater Fries Dog Treats are a fantastic treat to consider! These dehydrated treats for dogs are made of only one thing – you guessed it! – Sweet potatoes!
Sweet potatoes offer tons of nutritional benefits for canines; they are packed with beta carotene, vitamin A, vitamin C, folate, copper, iron, and calcium; all things that your pooch needs to thrive! The sweet potatoes that are used are completely natural and haven’t been genetically modified or otherwise altered in any way. They’re just real sweet potatoes that have been carefully dehydrated to naturally preserve them and lock in the nutritional content and the taste. Speaking of taste; your pooch will love the natural sweetness of these treats! In case you didn’t know, canines just love sweet potatoes! Plus, they are easy to digest, so if your pup has digestive health issues, offering him these treats along with a dog food for sensitive stomachs should help to keep tummy woes at-bay. Lastly, these treats have a wonderful chewy texture that will satiate your dog’s natural instinct to chew; in fact, they be considered an all-natural dental chew!
What We Like About Them
- Made of nothing but natural sweet potatoes
- Contains no artificial colors, flavors, preservatives, or any other additives or fillers
- Grain free
- Packed with vital nutrients
- Has a great chewy texture
- Offers a palatable flavor
- Great for dogs with sensitive stomachs
Reasons to Complain
- Some customers said that they were a bit too hard for their dogs to chew
Final Verdict: For a natural meat-free dehydrated treat, try Blue Ridge Naturals Sweet Tater Fries Dog Treats. They are loaded with essential nutrients, are completely natural, and will be sure to keep your pup satisfied.Amazon
#4 – Sam’s Yams Dog Treats
Next up is this tasty selection of dehydrated dog treats from Sam’s Yams. As you can probably guess by the name, this manufacturer makes treats that are comprised of wholesome sweet potatoes, but that’s not all they offer: they also make carrot, chamomile, berry, elderberry, pumpkin, and herbal recipes, too. Their Calmly Chamomile recipe would be the perfect option to offer in conjunction with CBD oil for dogs if your pet suffers from separation anxiety, as they can help to calm the nerves.
All recipes are comprised of completely natural ingredients that have been carefully dehydrated at a low temperature to naturally preserve the freshness and the taste. They are also 100 percent vegetarian, gluten free, grain free, and glycerin free, so they’re great treats for dogs that suffer from food allergies or sensitivities. Use these treats to supplement your pup’s food, or use them as an incentive; for example, if your pup tends to pull while walking and you’re using a leash for dogs that pull, offer him one of these yummy treats as a reward when he isn’t pulling. According to the reviews we read, most pet parents who used these were very happy with them – and so were their dogs!
What We Like About Them
- All natural
- 100 percent vegetarian
- Grain, gluten, glycerin, and preservative free
- Offers a variety of recipes
Reasons to Complain
- Some pet parents said that they were difficult for smaller dogs, like Dachshunds, to handle
Final Verdict: Sam’s Yams Dog Treats are an all-natural, meat-free dehydrated dog treat that your pet will be sure to love! They’re packed with flavor and nutrition.Amazon
#5 – Nature’s Logic Dog Treats
Last up on our list of the best dehydrated dog food comes from Nature’s Logic, another highly reputable manufacturer of pet products, including raw freeze dried dog food and fish oil for dogs. Their dehydrated dog treats are also premium quality and made from nothing but all natural ingredients.
They offer two options: a beef lung dog treat and a beef liver dog treat. Both options contain a single ingredient and are completely free of wheat, soy, rice, corn, potatoes, peas, and lentils. They are also made without chemically synthesized agents, like guar gum, xanthan gum, or carrageenan. Both options are made of beef that has been sourced from farms in the Midwest region of the US. Based on the reviews that we read, most of the pet parents that used this dehydrated dog treats were very happy with them. They said that their pup’s loved them and that they seemed to be very easy to eat.
What We Like About Them
- 100 percent all natural beef
- Made of beef sourced from the Midwest region of US
- Completely free of harsh additives and known dog allergens
Reasons to Complain
- Some pet parents said that the pieces were too small and they weren’t comfortable offering them to their dogs
Final Verdict: Nature’s Logic Dog Treats are made of only one ingredient: beef. They are totally free of harsh additives, preservatives, and many ingredients that are known to be allergens for dogs. You can rest easy knowing that your pup will be eating a pure, all natural treat.Amazon
The Best Dehydrated Dog Treats: A Buyer’s Guide
There’s no doubt about it: you want the very best for your furry friend. That’s because he’s not just a pet; he’s an integral part of your family! Just like you go out of your way to make sure that every other member of your family is well taken care of, you do the same for your canine companion. You carefully select all of the products that you use for him, offer him plenty of exercise, enjoy tons of plenty time, and of course, you have lots of cuddling sessions.
But have you ever stopped to think about those dog treats that you are offering him? While there are a lot of high quality dog threats out there that are made of really amazing ingredients, unfortunately, many options aren’t. If you want to be sure that you are not only offering your pooch a tasty treat that he will love, but that you are giving him something that will offer him the vital nutrition that he needs with none of the harsh ingredients that are used in a lot of treats, then you should seriously consider dehydrated dog treats.
What are Dehydrated Dog Treats?
Dehydrated dog treats are exactly what they sound like: they are treats that have been dehydrated. To elaborate more, the water content of the ingredients that are used in these treats are slowly removed using a process known as dehydration. By doing so, they nutritional content of the food is locked in, as is the flavor; and the best part is, no artificial preservatives are necessary, as they are preserved naturally!
The Benefits of Dehydrated Dog Treats
There are so many wonderful benefits that you and your pet will be able to reap from dehydrated dog treats. Some of the most notable benefits that these types of treats offer include:
- They’re all-natural. The best dehydrated dog treats are all-natural; they contain nothing but the wholesome ingredients that they are made out of. In fact, many of them are considered human-grade. Since they process of dehydrating the food naturally preserves the treats, there is no need for artificial preservatives, which can cause a host of health issues.
- They’re healthier. Since they are made of all-natural ingredients and they are not enhanced with artificial anything, they are a lot healthier than other types of dog treats. Plus, the dehydration process locks in the nutritional content of the ingredients that are used in these treats, which means your pup will get more of the goodness that they contain.
- They’re convenient. While you could certainly make your own dehydrated dog treats, if you have a hectic schedule like so many pet parents do, you probably don’t have the time to that is required to make these treats. Not only that, but since the dehydration has already been done, there’s no waiting! Just open up a bag of the best dehydrated dog treats and hand they’re ready to serve!
- Improved dental health. These treats have a chewier texture, which means that your pup has to really use the power of his jaws to get through them. The chewing action activates saliva production, and since saliva naturally combats plaque and tartar, they’re a great way to improve your pup’s dental health. Plus, as your furry friend chews on these treats, plaque and tartar will be brushed away.
Factors to Consider
Like any other product for dogs, there are several different dehydrated dog treats to choose from. To ensure that you are picking the best option for your pooch, take the following factors into consideration:
- You want to ensure that they are the right size for your pup’s mouth; too small and he can choke, but if they’re too large, he’ll have a hard time handling them.
- Beef, chicken, lamb, pork, fish, veggies, berries; there are so many different types of dehydrated dog treat recipes. Make sure you select one that you think your pooch will love the flavor of.
The Bottom Line
Dehydrated dog treats are a tasty, natural, wholesome way to supplement your pup’s nutrition. All of the options listed in our review are premium quality and offer a wealth of benefits. Give one a try and you’ll be surprised by how much your pup will love them!