When you’re dealing with aggressive chewers, the only thing you can count on is tough dog beds that answer your dogs’ different needs. However, with so many available options in the market today, your search for the right dog bed could become long, confusing, and even stressful. In this detailed guide, we share the 10 best dog beds for chewers that will help give dog owners peace of mind, knowing they will stand the test of time.
Why Invest in an Indestructible Dog Bed?
Before investing in the best dog bed, you need to understand why your dog destroys beds. Your dog may destroy more than just their dog bed. They might chew up things like a dog seatbelt, dog car seat cover, dog food container, or even their own dog crate or dog playpen. Many dogs do not need an indestructible bed; some are perfectly okay being left home alone without the need to chew everything up.
But why do dogs feel the need to destroy things? One of the reasons that your dog may destroy things is due to pent-up energy, which is common in large-breed dogs such as German Shepherds, Golden Retrievers, and Great Danes. This can be solved by ensuring they have an electronic dog door to go outside into your fenced yard whenever possible.
You may also consider providing an outdoor dog kennel for them to play in. You can also make use of things like automatic fetch machines, dog activity monitors and a GPS tracker for dogs in case your dog decides to jump the fence and take off. Another reason why dogs destroy things might be due to anxiety.
Separation anxiety is pretty common among dogs who are not used to being on their own, and so adopting a pet that has always had other animals or people in the house might result in a great deal of anxious chewing. It might be helpful to make sure that your dog is alone as seldom as possible by moving his or her dog house is close to the activity as possible or indoors, and taking your dog with you whenever you go out.
Best Dog Beds for Chewers
Now that you know some of the possible reasons behind excessive chewing, here are some of our top picks for the best chew-proof beds that will be perfect for your furry friend.
- Designed and tested exclusively by Chewy experts
- Uses a PVC-coated fabric sleeping surface
- Strong and durable fabric that offers comfort
- Easy to clean and assemble; won’t collect dirt or grime
This elevated dog’s bed from Frisco by Chewy offers a powder-coated steel frame that’s both simple and durable, making it perfect for large dogs that love to chew. It features a tight and breathable PVC-coated fabric surface suitable for both indoor and outdoor use since it retains very little dirt and is a great option for hard surfaces. You’ll also love the skid-resistant feet for extra stability that has been made to last, while its easy-to-assemble design is an added bonus.
- Comes with a removable cover that’s safe for the washing machine
- This chew-proof dog bed helps to keep your dog stay cool
- Made with water-resistant fabric that can hold up to 200 pounds
- No tools are needed for setup and is an excellent choice for travel
With the K&H Pet Products Elevated Pet Bed, your best friends can comfortably sleep on a cool bed at home or during your adventures even in hot weather. Made from durable material known as heavy-denier, this high-quality dog bed can withstand the wear and tear that your energetic dog can inflict on it. Because it can safely hold big dogs of up to 200 pounds and offers a breathable mesh fabric, this chew-resistant dog bed provides plenty of value for money.
- Each memory foam comes with medium firmness for a comfortable dog bed
- With a waterproof liner to prevent potential spillage on your floor
- Features a polyester and cotton twill cover
- Designed to provide extra comfort and support
Through the PetFusion Ultimate Dog Bed, you can give your pup the comfort it deserves — it was made for everyday napping, and offers a 4-inch memory foam for a safe and comfy rest spot. It comes with an anti-tear and machine-washable cover that you can also spot clean, making it one of the best waterproof dog beds. The Ultimate Lounge memory foam bed offers a simple yet cozy design along with quality construction that dogs of all sizes will appreciate.
- Can be used on a crate pad, kennels, and carriers
- Dryer safe and machine washable for easy cleanup
- With insulation to keep your dog warm and cool depending on the season
- Uses a soft fabric to ensure a luxurious and cozy feel for older dogs
When it comes to bolster beds, one of the best options to choose from includes Precision Pet Products’ Snoozy Shearling Dog Bed. This soft bed offers maximum luxury and is made from high-quality materials that allow pet parents to carry it inside dog houses, crates, and carriers. With insulation and a cushioned bolster, this is among the best chew-resistant beds that offer plenty of value for such an affordable price.
- With 4 wheels to help with maneuverability when needed
- Has top and bottom bunks with their separate mattresses
- Can be folded away and set up for travel and storage
- The lower bunk comes with zippered walls for extra security
If you’re looking for a new bed, then look no further than the Petique Bedside Lounge Dog & Cat Bed which is perfect small dogs and larger dogs up to 100 pounds. This option is a good choice for puppies that hate to be away from their dog parent at night time — it’s also a good idea to give your senior dogs their own bed to keep them safe. Included are two mattresses which are why this is a more versatile option compared to all the others on this list.
- This orthopedic dog bed is perfect for small to medium-sized fur babies
- With orthopedic memory foam to help to provide relief from joint pain
- Uses neutral colors that will suit any home interior
- Offers nonslip backing made of rubber to prevent sliding
Among the orthopedic beds available in the market, the BarksBar Snuggly Sleeper Orthopedic Bolster Dog Bed is second to none. Made with human-grade memory foam, it not only provides support and durability but also a sleek design that will be ever so inviting for any size dog that wishes to relax. Moreover, the easy-to-clean, machine-washable, and durable cover provides the final touches that give it a spot among the best chew-proof dog beds.
- Comes in different sizes to accommodate all dog breeds
- With a cover that’s resistant to mites, fleas, mildew, and mold
- Made using a lightweight and durable powder-coated steel frame
- Has a portable design that’s perfect for indoors and outdoors
With the Coolaroo Steel-Framed Elevated Dog Bed, you’ll be able to sleep in peace knowing that your dog won’t leave a mess on the floor even without a chew toy. Made from high-density polyethylene (HDPE) fabrics and a powder-coated steel frame, it helps to provide a comfortable and eco-friendly solution to your dog’s chewing problems. Lastly, this chew-proof bed may help dogs with hip dysplasia by providing a place to rest that reduces the stress placed on joints.
- Comes in larger sizes to keep your big boy comfortable from head to tail
- With a bolstered edge that doubles as a headrest
- Features a quilted design that adds a luxurious touch
- Has an orthopedic insert made of foam for comfort and support
Because it comes in flexible measurements, you’ll be sure to find the right size for your dog with the Carolina Pet Quilted Microfiber Orthopedic Bolster Dog Bed. Regarded as one of the best brands of dog beds, this model was made with a soft microfiber shell and an elegant quilted design that can become a beautiful addition to any room of your home. The best thing about this option is the orthopedic support that older dogs can get should they suffer from stiff joints.
- Complete with a polyester-fill pillow that can be washed
- Great for both cats and dogs that are small to medium-sized
- With a beautiful and stylish design that can withstand dog chews
- Constructed using woven palm stems for strength and durability
For the design alone, the Iconic Pet Maharaja Rattan Pet Bed is definitely one of the best beds for dogs who love to chew. Featuring a partially-enclosed bed, it was designed to have an elegant headboard as well as armrests which add to its durability. With such a stylish look, it’s sure to look great on your porch or living room where your dog can relax in the best way possible.
- Comes in 3 different colors to suit your dog’s personality
- Proudly made in the USA for the highest quality
- Made with soft fur and premium memory foam
- Raised walls are perfect for nesting, curling up, and snuggling
The great thing about the Canine Creations Donut Orthopedic Bolster Dog Bed is that it’s made from soft vegan fur designed to mimic the comfort of a mother dog to provide positive reinforcement. Inside, you’ll find high-quality memory foam that contours to your pooch’s body to soothe aching muscles and joints. It also comes with extra filling around the cushion and walls that help to keep it from getting flat and to provide long-lasting comfort and support.
Buyer’s Guide to The Best Dog Beds for Chewers
To find the most durable dog beds, be sure to consider the important factors listed here, where you’ll be able to determine the right dog bed for you. Here are the features you should look for which will lead you to the best overall dog bed for your needs and preferences.
Indestructible Dog Bed Materials
There’s no such thing as the perfect material — everything will depend on your dog’s specific needs. But some materials will be more resistant to tear and chewing such as Cordura, canvas, ripstop fabric, and ballistic nylon. Below are the must-know facts about these great materials that combat heavy-duty chewing.
- Cordura: Cordura is made through a mixture of various synthetic fabrics to create a tight weave that’s resistant to both abrasion and water. Stronger and more waterproof compared to canvas, you’ll often spot these in military-grade equipment as well as backpacks.
- Canvas: A weaker form of Cordura, Canvas can be made by mixing synthetic fibers with cotton to make a more heavy-duty and durable version compared to regular polyester and cotton. It’s tightly woven which results in becoming strong enough to resist rips and tears, so it’s often used in tents, sails, and some furniture.
- Ripstop Ballistic Fabric: These are made from incredibly tough nylon or polyester that’s been combined with different materials using a crosshatch pattern. This fabric is usually water and fireproof — it also has zero porosity which means that moisture won’t seep through.
- Ballistic Nylon: Refers to a basketweave with extremely high durability and strength that’s typically made from denier nylon. Ballistic nylon was originally made for military-grade ballistic jackets which would protect wearers from shrapnel.
Other Factors to Consider for Your Dog Bed
There are a number of other factors you’ll want to consider when choosing an indestructible dog bed which is discussed below.
How durable your dog bed is may be the most important factor since this all comes down to the material. Each material has a little different price point than the others, with canvas and nylon beds being about the same price, and denim beds being priced lower. If you want to go with the canvas or nylon bed, then you will be getting an indestructible dog bed that is going to last many years before your dog is able to destroy it.
Most indestructible dog beds are going to be thicker than beds made from other materials. This works in your favor when you have a dog that chews up your bed because they won’t be able to get their teeth around these easily and may discourage chewing even further. But the thicker the material is, the better, so you’ll want to look for this when you are shopping for indestructible dog beds.
This starts with the outer material like canvas or nylon; it’s also important for the rest of the construction. You’ll want to look for dog beds that cost a little more because the materials used here will be of superior quality and will last longer. Obviously, an indestructible dog bed should prevent your dog from ripping it up, but it also shouldn’t be falling apart from simple wear and tear.
How easy the bed is to clean should also be a consideration, and the first thing that you want to look for is a bed that’s stain resistant. Indestructible dog beds may be harder to clean than other materials, so you want to prevent stains as much as possible in the first place. Look for beds that are washable and have been treated so that they are stain resistant.
If you can’t get your dog to sleep on the bed, then it doesn’t matter how indestructible it is because it doesn’t serve its primary purpose. You want to make sure that you get something that’s as close to the bed that your dog is used to sleeping on as possible. That may be difficult because indestructible dog beds are constructed a little differently than regular dog beds, but you’ll always have options such as canvas and nylon that offers comfort.
It’s also best to look at the price but this shouldn’t be your primary concern when it comes to buying a comfortable and durable indestructible dog bed. A good dog bed will be made from high-quality materials and will still be comfortable enough for your dog to sleep on, so it will cost more than usual. However, if you are comparing several that are very similar, then you should obviously factor in price.
Indestructible Dog Bed Review Conclusion
The bottom line is that there is a lot that goes into choosing an indestructible dog bed. There are several different materials that you have to choose from, and you want to look at things like durability and comfort as well as whether your dog can chew through the material. Making the items in your home indestructible or out of reach for your dog should always be paired with behavior training.
If you can stop the behavior, then you aren’t limited to buying specific items like indestructible dog beds just to prevent things from being torn up. There are behavior training videos on YouTube, and you can hire a professional dog trainer for less than you think. But if your dog is tearing up everything in your house right now, an indestructible dog bed can be an indispensable tool that you can use to save money and help teach your dog that chewing on their bed is not appropriate.