Your dog will spend roughly half its life sleeping or napping. For dogs that have developed hip dysplasia, this can mean spending their downtime in discomfort due to a bed that doesn’t properly support their hips and other pressure points.
In our guide, we’ll review the best beds available for dogs with hip dysplasia, and what other features they all have. After that, our buyer’s guide will simplify bed selection and empower you to buy the best bed for your dog’s needs.
Best Dog Beds for Hip Dysplasia
Here are our hip dysplasia dog bed reviews.
The Furhaven Orthopedic Sofa-Style Dog Bed is a great choice for comforting dogs with dysplasia. It is designed with a thick orthopedic foam mattress and fluffy bolsters. The egg-crate foam provides support for joints and increased air circulation.
- Available in five sizes from a 20”x15”x5.5” small, up to a 53”x42”x9.5” jumbo plus
- Faux sherpa fleece is soft and warm, helping to relieve joint pain
- Wide variety of colors and patterns available
The PetFusion Ultimate Dog Bed is a premium orthopedic bed, perfect for dogs with dysplasia. The fabric cover is a soft and breathable 65/35 poly-cotton blend. Inside is a soft yet supportive 4-inch thick foam mattress.
- Available in sizes from a small 25”x20” up to an XXL jumbo 50”x40”
- The solid 4-inch memory foam mattress provides comfort and pressure relief from dysplasia pain
- Materials pass strict European REACH safety standards
The BarksBar Gray Orthopedic Dog Bed has a 4 inch solid grooved orthopedic foam. The bed is designed to provide ultimate comfort for dogs with dysplasia or other joint issues. The cotton-padded raised rim provides additional support and comfort.
- Available in medium 32”x22” and large 40”x30” sizes
- Built-in non-slip rubber bottom to prevent slipping while getting on or off
- Ultra-soft quilted polyester plush cover
The Big Barker 7″ Pillow Top Orthopedic Dog Bed is a super premium high loft dog bed. The 7-inch therapeutic foam mattress uses the same foam as the high-end human mattresses. The high-quality foam core is guaranteed not to flatten over time.
- Available in three sizes, from 30”x48” up to 48”x60”
- The extra-tall mattress makes it much easier for dogs with dysplasia to get on and off
- Calibrated for medium and large dogs, the mattress may be too firm for smaller dogs
The Furhaven Pet Dog Bed is a great orthopedic bed for dogs with dysplasia. The dense medical-grade foam core provides excellent support for aching hips and joints. The quilted micro velvet sleep surface gives a luxurious sleeping surface.
- Available in six sizes from small to 4xl
- Zippered cover is washer safe to combat the occasional accident
- The unique design gives two different end thicknesses for optimal comfort
The BarkBox Memory Foam Dog Bed is a high-quality therapeutic gel memory foam bed. The cooling and supportive foam provide relief for dogs suffering from dysplasia and joint pain.
- Available in 4 sizes, from 16”x24” up to 29”x41”
- The thick mattress core makes it easy to get on and off
- The flat design provides endless possibilities for sleeping positions
The Milliard Quilted Padded Orthopedic Dog Bed is an affordable and comfortable orthopedic dog bed. It has a thick and supportive egg crate foam core, that won’t flatten over time. The warm plush pillow top provides soothing warmth for aching hips and joints.
- Available in small, large, and extra-large
- Non-slip bottom keeps the bed in place while your dog gets on and off
- Egg crate foam provides support and breathability
The High Grade Orthopedic Memory Foam Dog Bed from KOPEKS is a hypoallergenic premium memory foam bed perfect for dogs with dysplasia. The tall mattress makes it easy for your dog to get on and off with minimal stress to their hip. The waterproof fabric zippered cover protects against the occasional accident or spill.
- Comes in two colors
- The anti-slip rubber bottom surface keeps the bed from sliding around on smooth floors
- The soft plush cover provides a warm snuggle spot for your dog
The Dog’s Bed Orthopedic Dog Bed is a premium memory foam orthopedic dog bed. It is designed to relieve dysplasia pain and be a prime preventative measure for those dogs predisposed to developing hip dysplasia. The 4-inch solid mattress core provides a supportive sleeping surface that is easy to get on and off.
- Available in six sizes from small to XXL
- Also helps prevent calluses and pressure sores for dogs that do not vary their position due to pain or discomfort
- Comes in more than ten colors to fit with your tastes and decor
The K&H Pet Products Deluxe Ortho Bolster Sleeper Pet Bed is a bolster style orthopedic bed. It is constructed with a 3-inch thick medical-grade foam core to provide support for dugs with dysplasia. The surrounding bolster is stuffed with premium polyfil made from recycled plastics.
- Available in a 30” and 40” diameter size
- The sleeping surface is made from upholstery grade velvet and super-soft microfleece
- The cover is removable and washable to help with the occasional accident
Dog Bed for Hip Dysplasia Buyer’s Guide
When choosing an orthopedic bed for your large dog, there are a few things you should consider. You’ll need to take into account your dog’s size, then you should consider how your dog generally likes to sleep. The last factor to consider will be your budget.
The first thing to consider is your dog’s size. Some styles of orthopedic beds are designed or calibrated only for very large or giant dogs. Conversely, some are only available in sizes up to medium or large, and finally, there are several beds that have models available to fit nearly any size.
The next factor to consider is your dog’s general sleeping style. If they are a curler or a leaner, you should make sure to pick a bed that also has either a raised rim or bolster, so they have something to curl up or lean against. Now, if your furry friend is a lounger or a stretcher, you should be sure to choose a nice big, flat, bed or one with a pillow at only one end, so that when they lie down, the bed has more open space for them
The final thing to think about is going to be the price. The beds we’ve shown you have prices that range from a modest $50 up to nearly $500 for a super premium human-grade mattress core. While there are structural and material differences between the two, you should also look into the warranty period. Some mattresses have guarantees against shape or loft loss that can be worth the extra expense.
Hip Dysplasia Review Conclusion
We hope that our guide has helped you decide what the best bed is for your dog living with hip dysplasia. As long as you take into account your dog’s size and sleeping style, and how much you’re willing to spend, you will be in a great position to make an educated decision for the comfort and health of your dog.
- Best Dog House
- Best Dog Playpen
- Best Outdoor Dog Kennel
- Best Dog Crate
- Best Dog Bed
- Best Elevated Dog Bed
- Best Orthopedic Dog Bed
- Best Pillow Dog Bed
- Best Covered Dog Bed
- Best Indestructible Dog Bed
- Best Small Dog Bed
- Best Large Dog Bed
- Best Travel Dog Bed
- Best Heavy Duty Dog Bed
- Best Senior Dog Bed
- Best Outdoor Dog Houses