The best dog bed will be the haven that your dog seeks whenever they want to escape from the din of the living room. You might have heard of the denning instinct in canines that they inherited from wolves. Guess what? It’s true.
Dogs love to retreat to their beds. That’s their turf. Their private square-footage that gives them respite from the insanity that they unfurl all day on unsuspecting pet parents.
With senior dogs or dogs with joint problems, the right type of bed, for example, an orthopedic dog bed can extend into a therapeutic resting place that helps alleviate the pain.
But dog bed shopping is akin to finding deals during thanksgiving. There are so many options that you will most likely be overwhelmed and confused about which one to buy.
That’s where we step in. To find the best dog beds, we used a three-pronged approach. We spoke to pet rescue centers which are hotspots for little fur balls who can do with a comfy resting place, we spoke to customers who had bought some of these beds recently, as well as in the not-too-recent past, and lastly, we analyzed reviews, thousands of them to be precise.
Best Dog Beds
|1. Big Barker 7" Pillow Top Orthopedic Dog Bed||99%|
|2. KOPEKS - Orthopedic Memory Foam Dog Bed||96%|
|3. Brindle Soft Memory Foam Dog Bed||93%|
|4. Milliard Premium Orthopedic Memory Foam Dog Bed||89%|
|5. Gale Pacific Coolaroo Elevated Pet Bed||85%|
The Big Barker Orthopedic dog bed is specially designed for large dog breeds. It is a thick memory foam bed that helps reduce joint aches in ailing and old dogs.
One of the common problems with beds for large dogs is that it tends to pancake or sink from the middle after a few months of use.
Not Big Barker. It comes with a 10 year guarantee that the bed will retain its shape and loft. Else, you get your money back.
How amazing is that!
The bed itself is a 7” thick chunk of handcrafted memory foam. That’s the thickest dog mattress that we’ve ever seen.
It is available in three sizes. The extra-large one is 52” long x 30” wide, the large one is 48” long x 30” wide while the giant one is 60” long and 48” wide.
It has a removable microfiber cover that’s incredibly soft to the touch.
Apart from providing your pet with a comfortable resting surface, the memory foam automatically adheres to the natural contours of their body, reducing pressure points.
Large, bony dog breeds like Greyhounds and Great Danes absolutely love sleeping on the Big Barker Mattress.
Doggy drool and the occasional drop of urine (incontinence in older dogs) are absorbed in the microfiber cloth.
When there is a noticeable odor, you can remove the cover and machine wash it. Let the mattress air dry in the sun for a few hours.
It becomes as good as new.
One of the best parts is that Big Barker has one of the best customer service ratings in the world. If there are any problems whatsoever with the dog bed, just contact them. The guys are extremely helpful.
Why we love it
- 7” thick chew proof dog bed
- Available in three sizes
- Four dark colored removable cover
- 100% microfiber that is soft to the touch
- 10 year guarantee on shape and loft
- Virtually indestructible
- Perfect for old, ailing dogs
- No waterproof liner. You’d have to buy that separate if you have a dog with incontinence
It is plush, 7” thick, it has a molded pillow integrated into the bed and it has a luxurious suede cover that dogs love to sleep on.
It is available in three sizes with the largest one measuring 50” long and 34” wide. So its slightly smaller than the Big Barker dog bed in length. But a few inches more in the width.
Hypoallergenic memory foam
Dogs with extremely sensitive skin can find it nearly impossible to sleep on any type of mattress due to persistent allergies and itching. The Kopeks orthopedic dog bed is made of high quality hypoallergenic memory foam.
No allergy problems anymore.
The suede cover is lush and soft and it comes with a waterproof inner lining that keeps the mattress protected from liquid spills.
If it gets too dirty, just remove the cover and machine wash it. Easy!
There’s nothing more annoying than watching a dog bed slide across the floor as your gentle giant topples on it for some much needed shut eye.
The Kopeks orthopedic dog bed has an anti-slip bottom that prevents slipping even on slippery hardwood flooring.
Dogs also seem to love the elevated pillow on the bed. We have seen a lot of pictures of dogs lost in slumber with their head resting on the pillow.
Why we love it
- Thick, high quality memory foam bed
- Hypoallergenic memory foam
- Lush, thick removable suede cover
- Inner waterproof lining
- Non slip bottom
- 7” thick
- Perfect for dogs with arthritis and hip dysplasia
- Keep an eye on the non-slip coating when you wash it. It does tend to peel off after a few washes. Thankfully, cheap replacement covers are available.
If your dog is one of those, then this one from Brindle should catch their fancy. This is a soft memory foam bed with shredded memory foam filling.
So, while it is therapeutic, it isn’t like a solid chunk of memory foam. Instead, it a soft, slightly-malleable surface that most doggies like.
The mattress is 3-inches thick. That might not seem too reassuring when most others that we have been reviewing are at least 7-inches.
But we spoke to pet parents who have used this for their large dogs (90 lbs +) and they opine that their dogs have no problems whatsoever sleeping on it. The mattress doesn’t sink when the dogs sleep, nor does it touch the floor.
It is available in 7 sizes and all of them are compatible with travel dog crates.
Micro suede covers in many colors
Most dog beds feature dark colored covers because they are forgiving on stains and dirt. But the Brindle soft memory foam bed is available in attractive, bright, double toned colors.
If aesthetics is as important as comfort for you, then you won’t find a better choice than this one.
Almost forgot to mention that the cover is removable and machine washable. It doesn’t have a waterproof liner like the Kopeks dog bed does. But waterproof covers are sold separately and they are cheap. Also, they are not needed for most dogs unless you have a bed wetter.
Why we love it
- Soft 3-inch mattress
- Shredded memory foam filling
- Removable microfiber cover
- Dual tone
- Therapeutic and healing
Things to watch out for
- May not be as thick as solid memory foam dog beds
- No waterproof lining
This is a 4-inch mattress. So, it’s not as thick as the Big Barker or Kopeks.
But it has excellent customer reviews in terms of usability and comfort. More importantly, dogs seem to love it. In the end, that’s what matters, doesn’t it?
CertiPUR-US certified mattress
The Milliard dog bed is made of CertiPUR-US certified memory foam. We believe that this is a first in doggie beds and it means that the mattress is made from materials that are free of phthalates, lead, heavy metals and are low on VOC levels.
That’s child safe. So, you can be rest assured that your pooch is in good hands when they are resting.
The memory foam is top notch in quality.
It is comfortable and naturally adjusts according to the dog’s bodyweight and shape. Dogs with hip dysplasia or advanced stages of arthritis will find it extremely comforting.
Does not change shape or sink or form lumps even after 4 years of everyday use (As mentioned by a satisfied customer).
Soft, skin colored cover
The Milliard dog bed features a skin-colored cover that can easily hide fur, dander and stains. So, you will spend less time vacuuming and washing it.
When it’s time for a wash, you can toss it into the machine.
The bed is available in four sizes and comes with a non-slip bottom surface that prevents it from skidding or moving.
Overall, it’s a well-rounded package for the price.
Why we love it
- Budget-priced memory foam bed for dogs
- Certipur-US certified memory foam
- 4-inch thick
- Perfect for old and ailing dogs
- No lumps or change in shape
- Skin-colored removable and machine-washable cover
- Non-slip bottom
- If your dog drools a lot or has incontinence, then you might want to invest in a waterproof lining inside the mattress cover. It will protect the mattress from mold buildup.
The fabric is about 7 inches above the ground and this helps to prevent pressure points from building up. So, it’s pretty much like a memory foam mattress in function. Only, this one is lighter and portable.
Cool, airy sleeping surface
The Gale Pacific Coolaroo gives your pet a cool sleeping surface with airflow all around. This prevents hotspots and promotes restful sleep.
Like we said, there are no sore joints or muscles. So, this works for dogs with arthritis and joint problems as well. The only caveat is that they might find it a little difficult when they get down from the bed or jump on to it.
An easy workaround might be to use something as a stepping surface to help them climb on the bed.
The powder-coated steel frame is heavy duty, rust-free and does not wobble as the dog climbs or shifts positions. It assembles and folds down in a jiffy allowing you to easily carry it with you for your impromptu outings.
The indestructible sleep surface
We have seen dogs trying to dig their way through the polyethylene fabric. But were unable to.
Likewise, with chewers. The positioning of the fabric makes it impossible to chew through. So, if you were looking for a cheap, elevated, chew proof dog bed, then you’ve just found it.
With just a piece of fabric to care for, this is one of the lowest maintenance dog beds that we’ve ever seen.
Available in three sizes and three colors
Why we love it
- Cheap, elevated dog bed
- Chew proof sleeping surface
- Great reviews
- Durable powder coated steel frame
- Easy to assemble
- Portable and lightweight
- Thick, durable polyethylene sleeping surface
- No hotpots or sore joints
- Sleeping surface that is 7” above the ground. Older dogs or dogs with severe arthritis might find it difficult to climb up or get down from it.
The Go Pet Club Solid Memory Foam Orthopedic Pet Bed features two protective layers around the mattress. 4″ memory foam mattress is ideal for aging dogs with joint, hip, or bone issues. Both the memory foam, and the suede cover are hypoallergenic.
- Waterproof and suede covers both have rubber non-slip bottoms to reduce slippage on smooth flooring.
- Both covers are removable for cleaning.
- Memory foam will not deform and will always keep it’s original shape.
The FuzzBall Fluffy Luxe Pet Bed comes in two sizes to accomodate dogs up to 45 pounds. The bottom fabric is waterproof and anti-slip. Raised edge bolster provides support for sleeping pets.
- Design provides comfort and support.
- Available in 3 colors.
- Passes rigorous quality and safety tests.
The Carlson Portable Pup Pet Bed is designed around comfort and portability. All steel construction and sturdy canvas ensure durability. Two sizes provide comfortable rest for dogs up to 95 pounds.
- Fold-and-go design makes travel easy.
- Raised cot style is easy on joints.
- Includes handy travel case.
The Friends Forever Orthopedic Dog Bed is solidly focused on luxurious comfort. Human-grade foam insert provides perfect support for dogs up to 75 pounds. Anti-tear cover is soft, and removable for easy machine washing.
- Available in four neutral colors to facilitate easy color coordination.
- Ideal support for dogs with arthritis or joint pain.
- Super durable anti-tear cover keeps the bed attractive and intact.
The Dogbed4less Memory Foam Dog Bed comes with two washable external covers, and a gel-infused memory foam pad. It is available in seven sizes, from a “Small Medium” 35x20x4 all the way up to a “Jumbo” 55x47x4 to best fit your dog. Included mattress combines benefits of alignment support, low allergen retention, and cooler sleeping surface.
- Seven sizes to fit a wide array of dogs.
- Includes waterproof liner, two MicroSuede external covers, and a gel-infused foam pad.
- Top-rated hypoallergenic orthopedic memory foam, will not flatten over time.
The Chuckit! Travel Dog Bed is a One Size Fits Most solution for dog comfort while camping. The poly-suede surface and double offset quilts keep your dog comfortable, while resisting dirt and holding it’s shape. Breathable construction and hanging loop ensure quick line drying after machine washing.
- Water-resistant, rip-stop liner are perfect for outdoor lounging.
- Includes nylon stuff sack for easy portability.
- Sewn-in loop allows bed to be easily hung to air dry.
The K&H Pet Products Original Bolster Pet Cot combines a mesh bed and soft bolster for comfortable outdoor quality. Elevated design keeps your dog off the ground, and allows for cooling air flow. Easy, tool-free assembly takes only a few minutes.
- Nylon fabric is waterproof, and mold, mildew, and bacteria resistant.
- Available in three sizes, for pets up to and over 150 pounds.
- Easy-on, easy-off, raised design enhances comfort for large or arthritic dogs.
The little dove Pet Teepee Dog Bed is made from 100% cotton canvas, and includes pine poles for assembly. Unique Native American design appeals to dogs’ natual drive to find a covered “den”. Cotton canvas covering and optional cushion are both machine washable.
- Easy storage, simply fold up like an umbrella and put away.
- Includes pine poles and small chalk board to hang on teepee, with optional plush cushion available.
- Available in two sizes, both geared towards smaller dogs.
The K&H Pet Products Self-Warming Nuzzle Nest is perfect for dogs that get cold easily. Unique two layer fabric absorbs the pet’s body heat and radiates it back to them, giving the self-warming effect. Only available in a 19″x19″ size, it’s perfect for small to medium dogs to curl up in.
- Machine washable and dryer safe on no-heat cycle.
- Eco-friendly fill made from recycled plastic bottles.
- Self-warming fabric eliminates the need for, and potential hazard of, electricity.
The Snoozer Luxury Cozy Cave Pet Bed is available in a wide array of colors and patterns. Sizes large enough to provide a cozy sleeping den for Doberman Pinschers and German Shepards, all the way down to Yorkies and Chihuahuas. Poly/cedar filled inner pillow provides comfort and freshness.
- Microsuede exterior and Sherpa interior.
- Over 40 different colors and patterns to best suit your decor.
- 4″ deep plush sleeping pillow for maximum comfort.
The Cozy Cuddler comes in two sizes, one for dogs up to 25 pounds, and one for dogs up to 35 pounds. Made with only the most durable, pet-friendly fabrics, like super-strength nylon and faux fur. Attached pet blanket provides additional comfort for pets that like to burrow or hide for their naps.
- Attached hood gives breathable warmth and added security for better sleep.
- Upholstery-grade corduroy exterior, and a bottom that is dirt and water resistant.
- Generous filling lasts longer before falling flat.
17. Kuranda Dog Bed
The Kuranda Dog Bed is made for the comfort of chewers and diggers. Aircraft-grade aluminum and 40oz. solid vinyl stand up to the toughest conditions and repeated cleanings. Six sizes available, from the Mini 25×18, up to the XXL 50×36, will handle dogs up to 250 pounds.
- Smooth surface makes routine cleaning, or accident cleanup, fast and easy.
- Elevated design keeps your dog cool and dry.
- Aluminum frame, solid vinyl surface, and all stainless steel fasteners make it great for outdoor use.
The Laifug Orthopedic Dog Bed features a double pillow design to provide maximum comfort and support. The memory foam will retain it’s shape for years, and will not flatten as soon as others. It includes
- Memory foam will support dogs 200 pounds and under.
- Includes microfiber cover, and water resistant and tear resistant cover.
- Guaranteed to retain 90% of it’s shape for 3 years, or Laifug will replace it.
The HDP Elevated Napper comes in two sizes for pets up to 30 pounds, and is available in four colors. The elevated design is perfect for helping arthritic or geriatric dogs stay off the ground. Assembles and disassembles in seconds without tools.
- Low profile makes getting in and out of the bed easy.
- Quick assembly and disassembly makes this highly portable and ideal for outdoor activities.
- Powder-coated frame, and tear-resistant cover make this bed extremely durable.
With 2″ legs keep your pet off the chilly floor, the Snuggle Pet Sofa Bed is ideal for your small dog. The sophistocated design mimics human-sized couches, and gives them their own piece of furnature. A cushion size of 17×11 will be more than adequaate for dogs up to 10 pounds.
- Removable & washable cushion cover.
- Raised sides are ideal for “leaner” type sleepers.
- Small storage pocket for toys.
The P.L.A.Y. Eco-friendly Lounge Bed is a hypoallergenic and green way to povide durable comfort to your dog. Using premium materials and furnature-grade craftsmanship ensures that even tough chewers stay safe from toxins. All models are manufactured to strict standards of infant and children’s products.
- Fill is made from 100% post-consumer recycled plastic bottles.
- More than 20 stylish designs.
- P.L.A.Y. is Gold Certified by Green America’s Green Business Certification program.
Rugged design and waterproof fabric makes the Paws & Pals Elevated Dog Bed perfect for indoors or out. The elevated style helps keep your dog’s temperature steady, allowing airflow in the heat, and insulating against heat loss through cold floors. With two sizes available, Medium holding up to 40 pounds and large holding up to 88 pounds, there is a size available to fit most dogs.
- Hex head bolts and key included for easy assembly.
- Four piece metal frame holds the rip-resistant, waterproof mesh fabric securely.
- Designed to improve sleep, and reinforce routines.
Showing off a unique reversible design, the Long Rich Reversible Rectangle Pet Bed provides versitile comfort no matter the time of year. Rectangular shape is perfect for setting up a quiet sleeping place in the corner of any room. Machine washable without needing disassembly.
- Knitted corduroy for warmth, with reversible smooth faux-suede that stays cooler in the heat.
- Adequate filling to provide comfort for any dog.
- Entire bed is machine washable.
Overstuffed bolsters and microsuede fabric make the Blueberry Pet Heavy Duty Pet Bed a cozy place for your dog to grab a few winks. Filled with 100% eco-friendly micro fiber, and covered with a machine washable scratch-resistant cover, it blends comfort and durability. Available in both a small and medium size.
- Wide variety of colors and patterns available.
- Optional gift set adds a sweater, blanket, and pillow.
- Sofa style is good for “curlers” and “leaners”.
The Dog’s Bed is a premium orthopedic and waterproof dog bed. 2″ memory foam over 2″ high stability support foam makes this bed ideal for providing relief from dysplasia, arthritis, and other conditions that make movement difficult. The mattress is also designed to act as a preventative measure for younger dogs that may be predisposed to joint issues.
- Five colors available.
- Designed to assist with mobility issues.
- Removable washable covers, and a waterproof mattress protector to catch accidents.
eLuxurySupply Pet Beds come in three sizes, 22×27, 27×36, and 36×45, to fit most dogs. Removable cover is 100% cotton, washable, and pre-shrunk. Replacement covers are also available in several styles.
- Machine washable covers will not shrink or fade.
- USA Veteran owned small business.
- 10 different colors and patterns to choose from.
With premium fleece material, the JoicyCo Dog Bed is super soft, stays warm in the winter, and cool in the summer. Anti-slip bottom keeps the bed in place, either in a crate, or as a standalone bed. The entire bed is 100% washable and dryer safe.
- Non-skid bottom to keep the bed stationary.
- Three sizes available, 35×23, 42×30.6, and 47×33.
- Six colors to coordinate with your decor.
Made the in the USA using eco-friendly processes, the Dog Bed Mattress Core from Memory Foam Solutions meets PURGreen certification standards. Six inch Memory foam mattress encourages spinal alignment and hip comfort. Breathable gel fill creates a luxurious mattress with longevity.
- Manufactured to exceed PURGreen certification, EPA, and CSPC standards.
- Made in the USA, quality tested by American workers and their pets.
- Sizes include 18×24, 27×35, and 35×38.
Luxury orthopedic pet bed from Romilton combines 1″ memory foam on a support foam base for optimal comfort and support. Durable microsuede cover is water-resistant and washble. Both the 18×24 and the 30×40 sizes have a 4″ thickness.
- “Whisper Quiet” filling does not rustle or make noise during pet movement.
- Top quality memory foam is certified free of ozone depleters, formaldehyde, and heavy metals.
- Removable, washable, microsuede cover with non-skid bottom.
The Orthopedic Dog Bed from MIXJOY is a donut style cudder. Available in three sizes, 23″ for dogs up to 25 pounds, 30″ for dogs up to 45 pounds, and a 36″ model for dogs up to 100 pounds. Each one is machine washable and features non-slip dirt resistant bottom.
- Raised rim provides head and neck support.
- Available in four natural colors.
- Durable nylon and ultra soft faux shag fur provides warm, comfortable, restful sleep.
The BarksBar Gray Orthopedic Dog Bed uses ultra soft polyester over a 4″ solid orthopedic foam base. Cotton-padded rim will instantly conform to your dog’s neck and head to provide constant support. Designed to fit in with any decor, and utilizes a rubber bottom to prevent slippage on smooth flooring.
- Perfect for dogs of any age, but particularly for older dogs with joint or bone issues.
- Removable cover can be machine washed, and air dried.
- Medium size measures 32×22, Large measures 40×30.
With an ultra soft faux fur side, and a fleece side, the Reversible Paw Print Pet Bed is perfect as a crate bottom or a standalone bed. For easy cleaning, the entire bed is machine washable and dryer safe. To fit your dog, it is available in several sizes from 18″ all the way up to 54″.
- Synthetic fur side with blue paw print top and fleece underside.
- Use in conjunction with a crate to create the perfect “den” environment.
- Overstuffed to create a cozy sleeping surface for your dog.
- Breathable mesh enhances airflow around your dog.
- Cot-style bed raises dog off the ground to reduce joint pain and increase overall comfort.
- Five sizes and two colors to choose from.
The Sleep Zone Cuddle Cave is manufactured with a process that ensures the filling will not shift or lose loft. Deep interior provides a feeling of safety and security to your sleeping pet. Featuring a wide variety of sizes and colors, your dog can enjoy comfortable rest while coordinating with your home’s decor.
- Assembled to be long lasting and durable.
- Filling will not shift or deform during machine washing.
- Cozy plush cave provides sense of security while pet sleeps in it’s “den”.
Using a unique shredded memory foam fill, the First-Quality Orthopedic Dog Bed provides comfort to aging dogs. Ideal for dogs with discomfort from arthritis, dysplasia, and other joint issues. Comes in four sizes to accomodate dogs up to 120 pounds.
- Four color and trim combinations to choose from.
- Design combines form and function, and easily slides into tight spaces.
- Better World donates 10% of profits to the US Humane Society.
Manufactured from premium components, the PetFusion Ultimate Dog Bed passes strict European REACH safety standards. This bed features a solid 4″ memory foam base, for maximum comfort and improved health. Side bolsters provide added comfort and security for anxious pets.
- Support bolsters filled with recycled polyester and cotton twill.
- Removable cover is machine washable, and tumble dry safe.
- Neutral colors blend in with your home, and the non-skid bottom keeps it in place.
Best Dog Bed Buying Guide
You might have noticed that your dog makes his bed pretty much anywhere that he or she chooses. But that doesn’t that they are completely comfortable.
The truth is, getting your dog their own bed can make them very happy. Dogs are very adaptive and will probably take to any bed that you get them.
But there are a few hard-and-fast rules that you have to follow, as well as other advice from animal experts that will allow you to choose a perfect bed instead of one that is simply adequate.
Choosing the right best pet beds for dogs may not be easy, but making sure that it is perfect will earn you some pretty big benefits – because if your dog knows that you are concerned about his comfort, then he will love you even more.
How we did our dog bed reviews
When it comes to dog beds, most pet owners have very basic requirements. It must be comfortable, orthopedic (in case of memory foam), easy to maintain and not cost an arm and a leg. That’s what we based our selections on.
The size: Ensure that you pick a bed that allows your dog to lie down comfortably in a position that they most prefer. Some dogs love doing the superman when they sleep. Others are more comfortable in a cradle or fetus position. Make your selection depending on this. Measure your dog from the tip of the nose to the tip of the tail. You will notice that you might have to buy one size larger than what the manufacturer usually recommends.
Thickness: Depending on the weight of your pet, you might have to choose a thick, 7-inch mattress like the Big Barker or the Kopeks, or a thinner one like the Brindle soft memory foam one. Thicker mattresses provide excellent cushioning to large dog breeds.
The type: You can choose from orthopedic dog beds made of memory foam or an elevated one like the Gale Pacific Coolaroo. Some dogs love to chew through their beds. If you have a chewer for a pet, look for a chew proof dog bed. These might be pricier but will hold up better to the incessant onslaught of jaws and claws.
Maintenance: Your doggie will unknowingly subject the mattress to drool, dander and occasionally, urine (frequently if you have an old dog with incontinence). Ensure that you buy one with a washable cover. More importantly, ensure that the rest of the mattress can be cleaned easily as well.
This is what we found.
There are actually quite a few benefits to getting your dog a dedicated place to sleep. Let’s look at some of the benefits that your dog gets from having his or her own bed.
Comfort: The first benefit of a dog bed is comfort. Your dog may be able to sleep on the floor, but he or she would be a lot more comfortable in a warm bed.
Insulation: They also get a great deal of insulation and warmth.
Cleanliness: You will also notice your home is a lot cleaner, especially when it comes to dog hair.
Personal Area: Also, your dog needs a personal area where they can call their own.
Things to Consider
There are a few things that you want to consider when you’re buying a dog bed.
Quality of the Bed
The quality is also important. The softness of the bed will directly affect your dog’s comfort and help them to get the best sleep possible.
But the quality of the bed also affects the durability. Dogs are not necessarily known for taking care of their belongings, so you want to bed that is going to last – especially if you have a big dog with big claws.
You have to pay little more for quality beds, but in the long run it is worth it. The quality of the bed will depend upon the material that you choose.
Getting a soft dog bed may be perfect for some pets, but for others, you may want one of the best washable dog beds because cleanliness is more important than softness.
We will get into bed features shortly.
There are three main factors that we will be discussing in this section.
The first factor that we will be looking at is size. The size of your dog bed will depend upon the style that your dog likes to sleep in. If you have a large dog really likes to spread out when they sleep, something that looks like a miniature mattress might be the best option for them.
But if you have a dog likes to sleep curled up, then you may want to get one of the aforementioned doughnut style beds because they offer a place for your dog’s body to rest against them. So, deciding what size to get starts with understanding how your dog sleeps.
From there it really comes down to fitting the bed to your dog.
But one thing that you want to consider is whether or not your dog still has growing to do. If your dog is not yet fully grown, then you definitely want to choose a slightly larger bed that they can grow into.
Most dogs will be pretty comfortable even if they don’t fit in their bed completely.
Also make sure that you are not constricting them too much. If your dog feels closed in and restricted in their dog bed, then they are going to ignore it and find somewhere else to lay down and that will negate your entire purpose in buying the dog bed in the first place.
The materials that dog beds are made out of very. Some of the best dog beds for large dogs are made out of nothing more than a standard pad or mattress material.
Other dog beds like a memory foam dog bed are made out of more expensive materials that not everyone will have the budget for.
There are expensive dog beds and there are soft dog beds, and it all depends on material.
Some beds are made of vinyl and are waterproof while others are made from woolen cloth and made to be really soft.
Some are filled with materials that help to eliminate odors as well.
There are a few different styles of dog beds.
Orthopedic: The orthopedic dog bed is basically a mattress. It could be a thin pad or could be a mattress that is nearly as thick as your own. In either case, the main feature of this bed is that it is flat. Some dogs sleep better on these orthopedic pads than they do on other styles of bed.
Donut-Style: Donut-style dog beds are probably the most common type of dog bed out there. Doughnut style have a lip or small wall around the bed and then a cushion inside.
Cots: If your dog sleeps outdoors, one of the types of beds that are out there is the outdoor cot. Outdoor dog cots are basically flat dog beds that are designed to stand up to the wear and tear and elements of being outside. They are not the most comfortable beds, but you can find some of them that dogs like if you look.
Heated: In cold weather, you might want to go with a heated dog bed, especially if your dog sleeps outside. Even if your dog is inside, make sure that you are regulating their temperature or giving them an opportunity to regulate their temperature with their bed.
The Bottom Line
Go with our top pick. You won’t be disappointed.
- Best Pillow Dog Bed
- Best Orthopedic Dog Bed
- Best Indestructible Dog Bed
- Best Heavy Duty Dog Beds
- Best Waterproof Dog Bed
- Best Covered Dog Bed
- Best Large Dog Bed
- Best Dog House
- Best Dog Crate
- Best Dog Playpen
- Best Outdoor Dog Kennel
- Best Dog Bowl
- Best Dog Heating Pad
- Best Dog Cooling Pad
- Best Dog Sleeping Bag