The hard, wiry coat of the Airedale Terrier was originally favored by breeders for its uses in the terrier’s day job, hunting rodents and other vermin, as the curly fur tore out when grabbed by claws rather than giving the attacker a handhold on the Airedale. Today, they rarely have working reasons to maintain their dense, curly fur, but because of its hypoallergenic nature, a carefully-maintained Airedale Terrier hardly ever sheds and is kept perfectly happy with their groomed coat. Because their curly, non-shedding fur demands specific needs, it’s important to browse carefully when looking for brushes for Airedale Terriers, to make sure they are perfectly suited.
Here are the top 5 best dog brushes for Airedale Terriers available for online purchase:
Best Dog Brushes for Airedale Terriers
Here are our Airedale Terrier dog brush reviews.
An important part of Airedale Terrier fur maintenance is stripping, the process by which the soft undercoat part of their hair is carefully brushed out to maintain fur health. Since their overcoat is hard and non-shedding, their undercoat needs manual help to properly go through the shedding phase, and Pet Neat’s Deshedding Grooming Brush with its 10-centimeter long stainless steel blade is perfect for the job. This deshedding brush works like a salon tool by untangling the top layer of fur, and easily removing the bottom shed layer in 10 minutes of brushing or less.
- There is a lifetime satisfaction guarantee on this brush, so it’s a safe purchase
- Ergonomic handle and 10 cm stainless steel blade promise an easy and effective brush in 10 minutes or less
- It maintains a healthy, happy coat while reducing your Airedale Terrier’s dander and shedding even further
A slicker brush is an excellent tool to have when grooming your Airedale Terrier, and the Loy Fancy Self-Cleaning Slicker Brush has the added benefit of being self-cleaning. While most slicker brushes get the job of extracting trapped shed fur in the undercoat, most have flimsy bristles and are difficult to clean, but with its durable stainless steel pins and self-cleaning function which removes shed fur from the bristles with the press of a button, this slicker brush stands head and shoulders above others on the market. Also, it includes a comfortable, eco-friendly non-slip handle made of ABS plastic, which prevents hand and wrist pain while also keeping your grip on the brush secure while grooming.
- Slicker brushes work very well on the fur type that Airedale Terriers have
- It’s made of high-quality materials and is more durable and easy to clean than most of the other slicker brushes available
- It has an eco-friendly, ABS plastic handle that is specially treated to be comfortable to use and easy to maintain a grip on while brushing
The Flymoqi Dematting Undercoat Rake is a high-duty dog comb with double rows of stainless steel teeth, larger and more impactful than any slicker brush. While the double-coated fur of Airedale Terriers serves them very well when going toe-to-toe with vermin and predators alike, this fur is not nearly as hardy against allergens. This makes hair loss due to skin inflammation a common concern for most Airedales, and so a simple, easy to clean brush like this one both does the job of dematting their soft undercoat and minimizes the introduction of allergic reactions. This brush is made of high-quality materials, fits perfectly in one’s hand, and is easy to use and clean between grooming sessions.
- This simple brush is easy to use and easy to clean
- Because it is easy to clean, it minimizes skin irritation and massages your Airedale’s skin to evenly distribute natural oils for fur health
- It comes with a comfortable handle and two rows of large, stainless steel teeth
While some Airedale Terrier owners like to clip their dog’s hair to a short, maintainable length to minimize maintenance, professional groomers and show dog owners often prefer to use the process of hand-stripping to remove an Airedales shed undercoat using a stripping knife. The Mars Stripping Knife was designed exactly for this specific purpose, with finely serrated teeth that cut through the undercoat without harming your dog’s skin or coat, in a painless and accurate process. This brush comes with an ergonomic handle made of cherrywood and is ideal for professional-grade grooming, which cannot be achieved with any other tool.
- This stripping knife employs the traditional terrier grooming process, guaranteeing a show dog-level appearance
- It is made of cherrywood and has a serrated blade perfect for cutting the undercoat without any pain
- To be used for finishing work and achieves grooming like no other
While Airedale Terriers do not shed frequently, they do shed on occasion, and Andis Premium Deshedding Rake is the perfect tool for getting the last bit of shed fur dealt with. With fine teeth and a sleek design, this rake is small and discreet, perfect for maintaining the coarse fur of terriers without damaging the topcoat. Because it is small and does not require much force to use, it removes shed fur without any pain or irritation to your Airedale Terrier’s sensitive skin.
- Easy to use, discreet, and great for salon care
- Its fine brush teeth comb through the undercoat without the use of any painful force
- Because it is so gentle, it minimizes the risk of inflammation or irritation to sensitive Airedale Terrier skin and coat
Airedale Terrier Dog Brush Buyer’s Guide
The Airedale Terrier is a large terrier and was bred originally not only to hunt rats and vermin, but also contend with much larger adversaries, like badgers, raccoons, and otters, which have strong grasping claws. Modern-day Airedales, however, hardly have to deal with most hurdles of that kind, but still retain the delicate undercoat and coarse, bristly undercoat that was so key to their survival and rise to fame. While relatively low-maintenance, otherwise, Airedale Terriers are happiest when their coats are treated with regular undercoat stripping, a process that demands very specific tools.
Simply put, any brush without metal teeth or bristles will likely not be durable enough to regularly brush the dense, curly topcoat of most Airedale Terriers, unless their coat is trimmed short, to begin with. This is not because plastic combs are not strong enough, since brushing an Airedale Terrier should not demand much force, but because dull comb teeth are likely to tangle, tear, or irritate the topcoat while pushing the undercoat closer to the skin. The most appropriate brushes should have teeth or bristles made out of stainless steel, and teeth sharp enough to massage their skin without harming it.
Undercoat Stripping for Airedale Terriers
Whether you choose to hand-strip your Airedale or to brush out their fur as you would most other undercoat-having breeds, undercoat-stripping at home can be a laborious process for you and your pup. With the right tools, however, it can be made significantly easier – a traditional stripping knife is an excellent tool, and so is the average dematting brush with metal bristles. Making sure your brush is appropriate for lengthy undercoat stripping on a regular interval is important, but so is finding a brush that will make the routine fun and easy for both of you, and so brushes which do not require much force or time to use will help you avoid canine distress as well as keep you from pulling out your hair.
Ease of Cleaning
Because Airedale Terriers shed so infrequently, they should be very low-maintenance dogs between regular undercoat-striping sessions, and because they’ll need to be cleaned, finding appropriately low-maintenance tools will save you a lot of time and energy. Ergonomic brush handles will save you from a lot of hand and wrist distress following a brushing session, and self-cleaning bristle brushes will make cleaning the brush after the grooming session a breeze. For your wellbeing as well as your dog, searching for brushes that you can easily wash in the sink will greatly improve your grooming experience.
- Best Dog Grooming Clippers
- Best Dog Grooming Table
- Best Vacuum for Dog Hair
- Best Dog Bath Tubs
- Best Dog Brush
- Best Dog Hair Dryer
- Best Dog Grooming Gloves
- Best Dog Brushes for Long Hair
- Best Soft Bristle Dog Brush
- Best Wired Dog Brush
- Best Dog Food for Airedale Terriers
- Best Puppy Food for Airedale Terriers
- Best Dog Crate for Airedale Terriers
- Best Dog Bed for Airedale Terriers
- Best Dog Toys for Airedale Terriers
- Best Dog Collar for Airedale Terriers
- Best Dog Harness for Airedale Terriers
- Best Dog Muzzle for Airedale Terriers
- Best Dog Shampoo for Airedale Terriers
- Best Training Book for Airedale Terriers