Australian Cattle Dogs were bred from Australian dingo, and as a result do not have the long hair of many of their fellow shepherd dogs. They are born with white fur, but as they grow up either red or gray-blue hair will grow through the white coat and give the dogs their distinctive, beautiful coats.
However, despite being short-haired, Australian Cattle Dogs do shed once a year normally, and so their owners want to have a good dog brush handy. When looking for a good dog brush, make sure it will not scratch the dog’s skin and that it will capture shedded hair to keep your dog, and your home, clean.
Best Dog Brushes for Australian Cattle Dogs
Here are our Australian Cattle Dog brush reviews.
The Safari Bristle brush features ergonomic comfort-grip handles. The Safari brush helps to reduce shedding, mats and tangles while promoting healthy coats for pets. The Safari brush is made by Coastal, a fifty-year-old Ohio-based company committed to innovation, safety and quality.
- The ergonomic plastic handle for a comfortable and secure grip.
- This brush helps distribute natural oils, leaving a shiny, healthy coat.
- Safari grooming tools are easy to use for every coat type.
The Pet Neat removes up to 95% of dead hair and tangles from your Australian Cattle Dog in under ten minutes! This brush prevents excess shedding and helps keep your home clean and allergies at bay. Whether you’re trying to remove your pet’s winter coat or just do basic upkeep, the Pet Neat’s highly rated grooming brush is a must have for Australian Cattle Dog owners.
- The stainless-steel comb can be easily removed for cleaning with a quick-release button.
- The ergonomic handle is environmentally sustainable, non-slip and hypoallergenic.
- The stainless steel 4” long rust-resistant blade effectively reaches deep down to the undercoat.
The Hertzko self-cleaning slicker brush is designed to remove tangles gently. Brushing your Australian Cattle Dog could be painful for them; with Hertzko’s retractable brush, bristles remain intact and unbroken thus preventing painful and sharp bristles. This self-cleaning brush feels like a massage to your dog!
- The bristles retract back into the brush and make the brush easy to clean.
- The bristles are designed to penetrate the coat.
- The brush is designed with a comfort, anti-slip handle.
DakPets deshedding tool is perfect for all shedding breeds of all shapes and sizes and is veterinarian approved. Their grooming brush removes the loose dead undercoat without damaging the topcoat. And, this brush promotes healthy skin, stimulates the blood and leaves a shinier
- Made from materials that feature a non-irritation 100mm-4-inch heavy duty replaceable stainless-steel pet comb
- Suitable for pets with single and double coats.
- The DakPets brush was designed by groomers.
5. BV Dog Brush
The BV dog brush is a relaxing brush for pets. Because, when you brush the pet’s fur with the BV brush, it feels good, massages skin, and releases natural oils into fur to bring out your Australian Cattle dog’s shine. The ergonomic handle is secure and comfortable in your hand and gives you more control when going through repeated motions.
- Round tip pins side to evenly distribute natural oils for smooth shiny hair.
- Bristle side to help remove tangles, dirt, and loose hair.
- The double-sided brush gives you two unique brushing options.
Australian Cattle Dog Brush Buyer’s Guide
While not as bad as some other working dogs, which have long heavy coats, Australian Cattle Dogs do shed once a year, or twice a year for unspayed females. In order to keep their coats untangled and your house clean, look for the following features in a brush for your Australian Cattle Dog:
Self-cleaning Brush Head.
Whenever you brush a shedding dog, even a short haired dog like the Australian Cattle Dog, shedded hair will clump on the brush head. It makes brushing your dog a long, thankless chore to have to clean the head manually every few brush strokes. Brushes with a self-cleaning head will remove clumped hair with the press of a lever and make brushing go more quickly–causing less overall discomfort for your dog.
Long enough brush tines.
Although not a long-haired dog, Australian Cattle Dogs do have a soft undercoat that, when shed, can get tangled with the longer hair of the dog’s overcoat. Over time, this can create a mat of hair that doesn’t let the dog cool properly after exercise or in direct sunlight. A brush with tines at least three inches long will penetrate to the undercoat as well, allowing you to remove all the shed hair and keep the dog’s coat smooth and tangle-free.
Strong brush tines.
Over time and use, brush tines may break. When this happens, they become very sharp and can scratch the sensitive skin of your Australian Cattle Dog. With stronger tines, however, brushing can be a pleasant sensation for the dog and he or she can learn to love brushing sessions. Strong brush tines will prevent injury to your Australian Cattle Dog and make the task of brushing quicker for you if your dog is not struggling to get out of the way.
Stainless steel or plastic brush tines.
Australian Cattle Dogs love to be outside and often get dirty. Brushing is a good way to clean them off, but if tines get wet they may rust–which will weaken them or cause discomfort to your dog. If the brush tines are stainless steel or plastic, however, they will not rust even if they are wet, allowing you to brush your dog without fear after a day of swimming and running, or when it’s time to start shedding.
- Best Dog Grooming Clippers
- Best Dog Grooming Table
- Best Vacuum for Dog Hair
- Best Dog Bath Tubs
- Best Dog Brush
- Best Dog Hair Dryer
- Best Dog Grooming Gloves
- Best Dog Brushes for Long Hair
- Best Soft Bristle Dog Brush
- Best Wired Dog Brush
- Best Australian Cattle Dog Essentials, Accessories, and Toys
- Best Dog Food for Australian Cattle Dogs
- Best Dog Crate for Australian Cattle Dogs
- Best Dog Bed for Australian Cattle Dogs
- Best Dog Toys for Australian Cattle Dogs
- Best Dog Collar for Australian Cattle Dogs
- Best Dog Harness for Australian Cattle Dogs
- Best Dog Muzzle for Australian Cattle Dogs
- Best Dog Shampoo for Australian Cattle Dogs