Shih Tzus require daily grooming, so investing in the right grooming materials is essential to keeping your Shih Tzus fur and coat clean. Because the grooming style of the Shih Tzu can vary from a short “puppy cut” to a more traditional Shih Tzu long coat, these dogs will need to be brushed either every day or every third day.
While a Shih Tzu often requires a professional groomer for cuts, the more you brush them and take care of them daily, the more pleasant the grooming experience will be. There are also additional benefits to brushing your Shih Tzu, including increased blood flow, the removal of debris, distributing oil and nutrients across the coat. These are our top picks.
Best Dog Brushes for Shih Tzus
Here are our Shih Tzu dog brush reviews.
Chris Christensen is renowned in dog shows and dog grooming. He has created this brush top quality wonder pocket pin brush that is perfect for grooming toy breeds like the Shih Tzu. This tiny brush can even fit in your pocket.
- This brush features ground and polished tips for added comfort.
- This brush is made in Germany.
- The pale wood handle adds additional attraction and comfort.
Burt’s Bees Double-Sided Pin and Hemp Bristle Brush was designed for multiple uses. The pin brush is effective in removing tangles and debris from your Shih Tzus’ coat, while its hemp bristles keep the fur smooth. Burt’s Bees has been creating quality products since 1984.
- The Burt’s Bees brush is designed to remove debris from your Shih Tzus coat while helping distribute oils across your pet’s coat.
- The rounded pins remove tangles but prevent injury.
- The double sided brush is made of bamboo and recycled materials.
The Glendan grooming brush removes natted hair while offering gentle massage to increase circulation. The wide teeth allow you to distribute oil across the Shih Tzu’s back and prevent skin disease by increasing blood circulation. The bristles are all coated to prevent injury to your pet.
- The Glendan brush is specially designed with a comfort-grip and anti-slip handle.
- This brush is easy to clean and helps remove trapped dirt.
- The rotatable brush allows you to get the brush into various hard to reach places on your Shih Tzu.
To safely remove tangles in the Shih Tzu’s coat that can not be removed by hand, it’s essential that you consider a de-matting comb. The Safari comb is highly rated by grooming professionals but available for home use. This comb is especially useful for Shih Tzus that have long hair.
- The comb is made of strong stainless steel.
- The serrated blades will carefully comb out most tangles.
- The Safari comb is especially helpful for coarse or long, matted coats.
The Li’l Pals Shedding dog combs are perfectly scaled for petite toy breeds, like Shih Tzus. These combs have smooth, rounded teeth that are gentle to the skin. The long teeth can penetrate deep into the fur of the Shih Tzu to eliminate debris and push natural oils across the skin.
- This dog brush features flexible pins with plastic tips for safety.
- The slicker brush distributes natural oils for a soft, shiny coat.
- Lil’l Pals gently and effectively remove mats, tangles and loose hair.
Shih Tzu Dog Brush Buyer’s Guide
The Shih Tzu requires more grooming than other dogs. Ideally, a Shih Tzu should be brushed every single day. And, you may require more than one grooming tool. Even if you take your Shih Tzu to the groomer every 6 to 8 weeks, you will still be doing some grooming of your own. If you have a Shih Tzu with long hair especially, you will need to use a variety of grooming tools. It can get overwhelming to determine what tools you need to buy to keep your Shih Tzu’s fur clean. Here is what we recommend.
A good quality brush will have rounded edges to prevent any injury to your Shih Tzu’s delicate skin. Because Shih Tzu’s do suffer from skin and allergy issues, the rounded edges on this brush will help massage the coat and increase circulation without puncturing.
The rounded brushes will also help cut through the outer layer and the get to the coat below, closer to the skin.
Shih Tzus do have a tendency to get tangles in their hair. For tangles that do not come out with the hand, it may require a special brush or comb that can effectively remove mats, tangles and loose hair. Look for combs that are made of stainless steel that have two different types of bristles; bristles that can penetrate the under coat and the top coat.
Slicker brushes have thinner, most densely set pins than a traditional rounded brush. These brushes help separate the hairs and enables you to remove tangles while removing loose hair and debris. Slicker brushes are excellent at moving the natural oils along the skin’s surface.
As you will be using the brush quite often, consider purchasing a brush with a comfort grip or ergonomic handle. This will eliminate the stress on your hand and prevent you from injuring or overstressing your hands and arm.
- Best Dog Grooming Clippers
- Best Dog Grooming Table
- Best Vacuum for Dog Hair
- Best Dog Bath Tubs
- Best Dog Brush
- Best Dog Hair Dryer
- Best Dog Grooming Gloves
- Best Dog Brushes for Long Hair
- Best Soft Bristle Dog Brush
- Best Wired Dog Brush
- Best Dog Food for Shih Tzus
- Best Puppy Food for Shih Tzus
- Best Dog Crate for Shih Tzus
- Best Dog Bed for Shih Tzus
- Best Dog Toys for Shih Tzus
- Best Dog Collar for Shih Tzus
- Best Dog Harness for Shih Tzus
- Best Dog Muzzle for Shih Tzus
- Best Dog Shampoo for Shih Tzus