Your Goldendoodle’s coat will need a particular set of grooming tools depending on its coat type. The type of brush you buy can drastically change your grooming process and make it much more streamlined, delivering results quicker while doing minimal work. However, it’s important that you become familiar with your dog’s particular needs, which is what we’ll be sharing in this article, along with the 10 best dog brushes for Goldendoodles.
Why Do You Need Different Brushes?
Because Goldendoodles come with different types of coats, they’ll also need different types of brushes that will work well for their particular type of coat. Goldendoodle coats come in three varieties: curly like their Poodle parents, wavy, and straight like their Golden Retriever parents. Each kind of coat will have different shedding levels, and will all need consistent brushing.
Pet parents who fail to provide their Goldendoodle with regular brushing may end up with a coat that’s matted and tangled, which is both unhealthy and uncomfortable for your pooch. As such, it’s important to choose high-quality dog brushes that will work well for your furry friend.
Best Brush Types for Goldendoodles
It doesn’t matter what kind of grooming tool or brush you choose, be sure that it’s a high quality and durable product that’s comfortable to use for you and your pooch. Here are the different kinds of brushes that you can choose from when it comes to your Goldendoodle puppy.
Slicker Brushes Good for Wavy Goldendoodles
Traditional slicker brushes are the best choice for wavy-haired Goldendoodles, and will often have flexible pins that come out of a cushion. They come in many different kinds that have varying pin lengths. These work by separating wavy hair and are great at promoting a mat and tangle-free coat, which is commonly found in dogs with denser coats.
The only drawback is that they can be rough on your dog’s skin, which is why it’s important to take extra care when brushing your pet with slicker brushes.
Wire Pin Brushes for Curly Goldendoodles
These brushes will work well with Doodles that have woolly or curly coats, which can separate each strand of hair. Look for a brush with pins that have durable and smooth pins that are attached to a high-quality cushion. Some of these brushes will also come with protective ends that can help prevent skin irritation — they’re also available in different lengths and densities.
Bristle Brushes for Straight-Haired Goldendoodles
Goldendoodles with long hair that looks more like their Golden Retriever parents will need a firm bristle brush. The best choice will be made from boar bristles or a mix between boar and nylon bristles — dogs with soft hair will need softer bristles while dogs with coarse hair will need stiff bristles. Because of their design, these brushes won’t work well on wavy or curly-haired dogs.
Deshedding Tools for Straight-Haired Goldendoodles
A de-shedding brush is also a great choice for removing loose hair from your dog’s top coat so that it won’t end up on your clothing or furniture.
The 10 Best Dog Brushes for Goldendoodles
If you’re looking for the right brush for your pooch and want to save money from professional groomers, here are our top picks of the best brushes for Goldendoodles.
- Perfect for brushing away the knots and tangles on your dog’s coat
- With a durable and comfortable anti-slip handle that allows for a longer grooming session
- With a massaging action that helps to increase blood circulation for healthy skin
- Can be cleaned quickly with the retraction button so you can quickly use it again
- Its unique bristles can gently penetrate thick coats to remove tangles and mats
Keep your pup’s coat looking its best by using the Hertzko Self-Cleaning Brush, which can be used on both your cats and dogs. It offers ease of use that will effectively and gently remove even the most stubborn knots and tangles from your pup’s undercoat, without irritating or scratching their skin. Many dog owners agree that cleanups are quick thanks to the retraction button which pulls up the bristles and instantly leaves it free of fur and ready for your dog’s next brushing session.
- Comes with 50% denser, longer, and softer pins compared to others
- Every pin is placed at a 45-degree angle, which prevents scratches
- It has a non-slip and ergonomic handle that’s 7 inches long
- A premium and high-quality product that’s made from recycled wood
- Offers 100% satisfaction guarantee so you can return your product for a full refund
This Dog Slicker Brush by We Love Doodles is an effective grooming tool made to eliminate knots, tangles, and mats commonly found in dogs with long coats. It features softer and longer pins that are gentle on your dog’s skin, while its handle allows you to use it comfortably, making it an effective tool. It removes tangles, mats, and knots, resulting in soft, shiny, and clean hair that will surely leave you happy — in case you aren’t, they also offer a full refund warranty!
- It comes with wide and narrow teeth that make it a good choice for dogs of all sizes
- Removes mats, loose hair, tangles, and dirt
- Made from stainless steel and is much more resilient than plastic
- With two sides for different purposes such as the face, paws, and untangling
- Great for fluffing and finishing that will give your dog a professionally groomed look
The Andis Steel Comb is arguably the best grooming brush on this list because it removes mats, tangles, dirt, and loose hair while stimulating skin and hair follicles. This metal comb is the perfect tool for fluffing and finishing while being lightweight for grooming without experiencing fatigue. It has a wider side that can be used for untangling mats or you can use the finer side to comb thinner coats or to brush the face gently.
- This high-quality brush is great for dogs with fragile and delicate coats
- Made using a lightweight and strong Beech wood body
- Uses stainless steel pins with polished and ground tips
- Effortlessly glides through your dog’s fur with ease
- With an ergonomic handle that feels good in your hand
Chris Christensen has been a leading expert in canine care and grooming since 1996, developing the first color-correcting shampoo for our furry pets. Their expertise led to the Chris Christensen Systems which produced the finest grooming products for dog shows. Made in Germany, these brushes are the smoothest in the market with 30% more pins compared to other pin brushes, for finer brush strokes.
- A dual-action brush that detangles and removes excess fur while softening the coat
- With two specialized sides to support a healthy coat and reduce shedding
- With stainless steel pins that come with safety tips for a gentle grooming session
- Uses nylon bristles that help to bring out the shine and softness in your pet’s fur
- This combo brush comes with an ergonomic handle that prevents fatigue and strain
With the Hartz Groomer’s Best Combo Dog Brush, you can get more benefits out of each brushing session. This dual-action brush comes with two sides — one with nylon bristles that help redistribute your dog’s natural oils and the other with stainless steel pins to remove loose hair. These are great for pups that have wiry, curly, or long coats and are also extra-gentle because of the safety tips on each pin, while its ergonomic design can prevent strains.
- With serrated stainless steel blades that can easily remove tangles and mats
- Can be used on medium-length and long hair
- Perfect for dogs with long, matted, or coarse hair
- Designed with a handle that promotes a comfortable grip
- Helps to keep your dog’s coat smooth, soft, and healthy
Using the Safari Dog De-Matting Comb, you can bid farewell to the tangles and mats on your dog’s fur! Designed for pups with matted and coarse coats but will also work well on furbabies with medium hair — these blades provide effective, yet gentle grooming and can smooth out even the heaviest tangles. It also has a handle that’s designed for a comfortable grip so you and your friend can enjoy each grooming session while keeping its coat beautiful and soft.
- Features a soft rubber pad for flexibility
- With a construction that’s made to last for many years to come
- Uses stainless steel pins and a Birch wood handle
- Made to be 7.5” long, providing more control in every stroke
- Manufactured in Germany to ensure high-quality
Some of the best things in life can come in small packages, and the Mars Professional Pin Grooming Brush is just one of those. With demagnetized pins to decrease static, it also features a superior pad design that allows pins to reduce discomfort by rotating with your dog’s tangles. Moreover, it also has 1-inch stainless steel pins that can penetrate deeply into your dog’s coat, while its birch wood handle offers comfort and will last for years to come.
- A slicker brush that’s also a de-shedding tool made to remove mats and fluffs
- With premium comfort-glide pins that won’t scratch your pup
- Designed with a unique rubber coating that won’t slip from your hands during bath time
- Designed for specific dog breeds such as Poodles, Goldendoodles, and Labradoodles
- With 30% more pins compared to other premium brands for less effort
A great dematting tool by Chris Christensen, the Big G Dog Slicker Brush can make your grooming session easier for both you and your pet! With an ergonomic handle that’s made from a rubber coating it won’t slip from your hand, so it’s great for brushing while bathing your pooch. Because it’s so effective in removing mats and tangles, you can get more work done with less effort, and it’s available in 3 different sizes to suit all breeds of dog.
- Designed with flexible pins made from stainless steel that’s long but gentle on fur
- Made to easily penetrate tangles and mats to provide a softer and smoother coat
- With an anti-slip handle that’s crafted from a bubble gel for your comfort
- Works to gently remove dead hair from your dog’s undercoat on a wide range of types and lengths
- Perfect for both cats and dogs with unruly or long hair
When you want your pet to reach a whole new level of beauty, be sure to get this Babyliss Pro Pet Long Pin Slicker Pet Brush. Often referred to as the best slicker brush, this professional-grade tool features stainless steel pins that can remove excess hair, tangles, and mats to help fluff and straighten their fur. It also has an ergonomically designed handle with an anti-slip bubble grip to prevent hand fatigue while offering a comfortable hold.
- Made with 100% medical grade silicone to effectively and safely trap loose fur
- Great to use on both dry and wet hair so it’s a great tool for bath time
- Offers a gentle and soft massaging sensation that can stimulate and nourish their coats
- Washing machine safe, so it can be easily cleaned and made ready for its next use
- Apart from de-shedding, it can also be used to remove dander from furniture and clothing
Your dog’s hair is important so if you want to give it a healthy coat, be sure to get the Vetnique Labs Furbliss Grooming Brush for Small Pets with Short Hair. It’s the perfect tool for de-shedding, massaging, and bathing smaller dogs — this multi-purpose groomer helps to remove dander while picking up fur and lint from furniture and clothing. Engineered perfectly to work on a wide range of fur and coat types, and provides a soothing massaging sensation that will leave your pet in pure bliss!
Your Buyer’s Guide for the Best Dog Brushes
If you’re looking for the right tool for daily brushing, you first need to know what to look for. Below are just a few considerations you need to think about when you want to get the best results for your pet’s coat.
The best brushes for regular grooming will have handles made of wood, which can absorb oils from your dog’s skin and distribute them throughout your dog’s coat. While plastic handles can be less expensive, they’re usually made with lower quality. But this will depend on how it’s made, so they may still be comfortable.
A brush made using rubber handles will often be ergonomically comfortable and will have a good fit in your hands.
Metal brushes are often built to last and are often a good choice when looking for the best brushes for these dogs. Just make sure to check product reviews by owners and groomers who have tried the product before making a purchase. If you see complaints about the brush breaking after just months of use, then it won’t be worth your investment.
Your Dog’s Comfort
While it’s good to know that the product is comfortable to use, a quality brush must also be comfortable for your pup’s skin and fur. When they’re used correctly, using the brush regularly shouldn’t irritate your dog. Gentle strokes can also help to relax and stimulate your dog’s hair follicles, and encourage the growth of healthy hair.
Before you decide to buy a particular brush, be sure to avoid the wrong brush by considering your dog’s needs. A small brush isn’t well suited for big dogs and particular brushes will be designed for short hair rather than longer hair. Similarly, brushes made for curly hair won’t work for dogs with straight coats, so be sure to think about whether your dog’s hair needs special care.
It’s vital to consider how much you’re paying compared to the value you get when choosing any product. Make sure that you pick a brush that has all the necessary features your dog needs — if you choose only the cheapest options, you may end up purchasing a brush that may not serve your needs. However, this doesn’t mean that the most expensive options are the best, and you’ll also need to pick the right kind of bristles for your canine’s particular coat.
Whether your dog has a wavy coat or you have dogs with short coats, you can make the brushing process a lot easier for both of you by using a brush that will answer all your needs. Any of the options above can be an excellent choice depending on the kind of coat your dog has, and how you plan to use it — be sure to get the best brush according to your pet’s coat. No matter which product you go with, be sure to give your pup a regular brushing routine to help it maintain a healthy and shiny coat.