Best Dog Brushes For Long Hair
Here are our long haired dog brush reviews.
1. FURminator Undercoat Deshedding Tool
The FURminator Undercoat Deshedding Tool is specifically designed to help groom long hair while preserving the integrity of both the undercoat and the topcoat. It passes through the topcoat to help thin the undercoat. It provides a way to safely brush out long hair without damaging the skin.
- Designed for large dogs with long hair
- Ergonomic handle keeps your hand comfortable during brushing sessions
- The FURejector button gives an easy way to release gathered hair cleanly
2. DakPets Deshedding Brush
The DakPets Deshedding Brush is developed by grooming experts. It is made with a non-irritating 4-inch replaceable stainless steel comb, and a durable non-slip rubber handle. This brush helps protect your dog from irritation while grooming both topcoat and undercoat.
- Standalone coat care tool, deshedding the undercoat and slicking the topcoat
- Stimulates the blood, leading to a healthier and shinier coat
- Includes blade cover to protect and extend the lifespan of the blade
3. Hertzko Self Cleaning Slicker Brush
The Hertzko Self Cleaning Slicker Brush helps to gently remove mats and promote a healthy coat. The fine wire construction allows this brush to brush deeply into the coat, without scratching the skin. It also massages the skin and promotes blood flow to give a soft and shiny coat.
- Easy to clean by clicking the button and retracting the bristles, allowing easy hair removal
- Comfortable handle means longer brushing sessions won’t leave your hand sore
- Helps remove loose hair, and gets rid of tangles, mats, and dirt trapped in the coat
4. SleekEZ Original Deshedding Grooming Tool
The SleekEZ Original Deshedding Grooming Tool is a great brush for all sizes of dogs. It is designed with a unique pattern for the tiny brushing teeth that remove loose hair without pulling it from the skin. It is also self-cleaning, allowing the hair to simply fall out on its own.
- Available in multiple sizes to easily accommodate your dog
- Cleans and brushes your dog’s coat, but also removes hair from furniture, bedding, and vehicle interiors
- Easily gets rid of loose fur, dander, and dirt embedded in the coat and skin
5. Pat Your Pet Pet Grooming Tool
The Pat Your Pet Pet Grooming Tool is a multi-purpose grooming tool. The dual-sided comb design provides an easy way to get rid of tangles with one side, and with the other easily deshed and thin bulky long coats. The teeth are designed to safely cut through mats and massage the skin.
- Special no-scratch rounded teeth give a gentle skin massage
- The inside of the unique teeth are sharp to get through tangles and mats
- Soft and ergonomic hangle makes regular combing easy and comfortable
6. Pet Neat Pet Grooming Brush
The Pet Neat Pet Grooming Brush is a super-fast way to get rid of dead hair and tangles from your dog. This brush is designed to provide years of easy coat grooming. It removed loose undercoat with little effort and eliminates excess dander.
- Reduces allergic reactions by removing excess and loose dander
- Removes up to 95% of dead hair, mats, and tangles
- Frequent brushing promotes a healthy and smooth coat
7. GoPets Dematting Comb
The GoPets Dematting Comb is a two-sided professional grooming rake. It works as a dematting and detangling comb, and an undercoat comb. The rounded ends of the teeth make it a very gentle and massaging comb.
- Low-density side for stubborn mats and tangles, high-density side for deshedding and undercoat thinning
- Easily managed 2.25-inch size is great for all sizes of dogs
- The sharpened inner curve of the teeth cuts stuck hairs rather than pull them, making the brushing experience much more comfortable for your dog
8. Glendan Dog Brush
The Glendan Dog Brush is a great slicker-style brush for dogs. The fine wire bristles remove dead undercoat hair while stimulating blood flow at the skin surface. It has an anti-slip handle to prevent strain while brushing.
- Comfort-grip and anti-slip handle eliminates wrist strain while grooming
- Massaging bristles encourage a healthy coat and skin by increasing blood flow
- Wide flat brush head makes quick work of getting rid of dead hair, mats, and tangles
9. Hartz Groomer’s Best De-Shedder Brush
The Hartz Groomer’s Best De-Shedder Brush makes a quick job of removing dead hair. It is ideal for long-haired breeds that are heavy shedders, whether seasonal or year-round. It has a comfortable ergonomic handle to reduce wrist stress while brushing.
- Uses no metal blades, only a series of micro combs
- Unique design removes 3 times as much fur as a standard brush
- Ergonomic handle allows more time to be spent grooming in comfort
10. Pro Quality Self Cleaning Slicker Brush
The Pro Quality Self Cleaning Slicker Brush from The Pet Portal is a perfect slicker-style brush for long-haired dogs. The wide slicker head is easy to clean, just press the button and wipe. It can remove loose fur, tangle, and mats with minimal effort.
- Bristles stimulate blood flow for healthy skin and coat
- Easy to use self-cleaning feature makes containing the dead hair a breeze
- Recommended by vets and professional groomers, and includes a free grooming ebook
Long Hair Dog Brush Buyer’s Guide
There are a couple of things to consider when buying a brush for your long-haired furry friend. You’ll need to consider your dog’s coat condition, and whether you’re looking for a general grooming brush or one more suited to cutting out mats and tangles. Also, your dog’s size will play a part.
If your dog is prone to getting knots, tangles, and mats consistently, there are some options that will make brushing time much easier. Many of the dual-headed rake style brushes are specifically designed to cut mats and tangles out while being gentle on the skin. They offer a coarse side, to cut through the mess, and a fine side, to comb out and remove dead fur. While the dual-sided rakes do gently massage the skin and help improve coat and skin health, they also are generally smaller than slickers, so more brushings will be needed to cover the same area.
On the other hand, if your dog’s coat is long, but they don’t tend to get many mats or tangles that require cutting, then a slicker style brush will probably be a better tool for routine grooming. They will still get out tangles and knots, but they will be much more adept at removing the dead fur in large amounts, quickly. Slickers also provide a much larger area for skin massaging, leading to a better coat quality and healthier skin. Some slickers also have a self-cleaning function that makes disposing of the dead hair much quicker and easier than those without.
The other factor to consider is your dog’s size. Many of the slickers have a small and large size so that you don’t need to worry about using a large brush on a smaller dog that can seem unwieldy. The rake style brushes are slightly more limited in their sizing and are generally somewhat smaller, so using them on very large dogs can certainly add some time to the grooming routine. A good strategy is often to have one of each so that you can use the rake to address problem areas and tough mats, then use the slicker for a fast and thorough hair removal and massage stage.
Dog Brush for Long Hair Review Conclusion
We hope that our guide has given you some helpful direction on what brush will best suit your needs as a dog owner who wants their dog to look and feel their best. As long as you take into account the general condition of your companion’s coat, and how much time you’ll want to spend grooming it, you can choose a dog brush for your long-haired friend with confidence.