If you are interested in taking your Shih Tzu for walks, consider a harness. However, if you are looking for a collar for your Shih Tzu to wear that has tags for safety, it’s important you select the proper collar to keep your pet safe and comfortable. Here are our favorites.
Best Dog Collars for Shih Tzus
Here are our Shih Tzu dog collar reviews.
Blueberry collars come from the long cherished line of Blueberry products. Available in multiple colors, there’s a shade and a design to fit most every taste. Blueberry is available in multiple sizes and is adjustable.
- The Blueberry collar is made with a high density wedding to add durability.
- The buckles are made from eco friendly plastic.
- The metal D-ring is chrome coated.
Chai’s Choice is made with your Shih Tzu’s comfort in mind. Available in multiple sizes and colors, there’s an option for your pet. And, the extra padding adds comfort and eliminates rubbing or chafing around the neck.
- Soft, breathable padding adds to your pet’s comfort.
- The durable stainless steel leash attachment has a large loading capacity.
- The lightweight duraflex buckle has an easy snap-on.
All Max and Neo collars are made with reflective materials to keep your Shih Tzu safe. The NEO collar has two lines of 2mm wide reflective stitching that is interwoven right into the webbing of the collar. And, for every collar sold, Max and Neo donates an identical collar to a dog rescue.
- The locking buckle can prevent accidental openings.
- A separate loop on the collar makes it easy to add dog tags.
- The D-Ring is made of high quality metal.
CollarDirect is a mix of quality, comfort and style. With high quality hardware and nylon webbing, this collar is built to last. The range of available vivid colors will not fade over time!
- These collars are easy to wash and clean.
- The collars are lightweight, pliable and elegant.
- The side release buckle is made of eco friendly plastic.
The PetSafe Martingale collar tightens when pressure is applied, which reduces the risk of your Shih Tzu backing out of the collar and escaping. This collar is recommended by vets and trainers as the best design for daily wear. And it is available in multiple sizes and six different colors: green, black, purple, raspberry, red and blue.
- The quick snap buckle makes for easy on and off.
- Martingale is made from high-quality, durable nylon.
- The Martingale loop prevents dogs from backing out of the collar.
Shih Tzu Dog Collar Buyer’s Guide
While harnesses are recommended for long walks, it’s equally important to have a durable, solid collar for your Shih Tzu. Collars carry with them your pet’s identification and important tags, like rabies and other medical tags. With many different styles and types to choose from, it can be overwhelming to determine what collar is the right choice for your pet. There are a few elements to consider when purchasing your Shih Tzu’s collar. Here’s what we recommend.
Look for collars that are made from durable materials, like nylon or leather. These collars will withstand chewing and wear and tear. It’s important that the collar does not unravel and cause the collar to break while out on a walk. Always check your Shih Tzu’s collar before bring your pet outside.
Reinforced stitching is an important element to consider when buying a collar. This is especially important with the stitching around the D-ring. The D-ring is where you will attach all your pet’s important information, so it’s imperative that it stays secure. The reinforced stitching will prevent a break if it gets snagged or caught on anything.
Just as with a harness, reflective material is incredibly important to the safety of you and your pet. Look for a collar with reflective materials, including reflective stitching, to aid your pet being seen in low or ambient light.
Shih Tzus have extremely sensitive skin, so it’s important that the collar not irritate your pet’s skin. In this, look for a collar that is quick dry or waterproof, so wet materials do not sit on the skin and cause rashes or chafing
- Best Leash for Dogs that Pull
- Best Dog Harness
- Best Dog Muzzle
- Best Dog Activity Monitor
- Best Dog Bike Trailer
- Best Dog Stroller
- Best Dog Training Collar
- Best Dog Leash for Running
- Best Dog Food for Shih Tzus
- Best Puppy Food for Shih Tzus
- Best Dog Crate for Shih Tzus
- Best Dog Bed for Shih Tzus
- Best Dog Brush for Shih Tzus
- Best Dog Toys for Shih Tzus
- Best Dog Harness for Shih Tzus
- Best Dog Muzzle for Shih Tzus
- Best Dog Shampoo for Shih Tzus