Though Bloodhounds may have a false reputation for being lazy, slow dogs, the Bloodhound is actually full of zest and energy. This is one reason, beyond their superior sense of smell, that makes Bloodhounds such excellent tracking and hunting dogs. Bloodhounds can also fit well into a family. But, Bloodhounds can also be very stubborn and they are dogs that require an owner that is experienced. These dogs can be very slow to train and housebreak, despite their intelligence. If not entertained, a Bloodhound may engage in destructive behavior, like chewing.
And, they are well known to swallow just about anything—many owners of Bloodhounds report that they’ve had to take them to the emergency veterinarian after the Bloodhound swallowed something that most certainly was not food. This is why it may be quite necessary for the owner of a Bloodhound to purchase a crate. A crate provides safety and comfort for your Bloodhound, but is also a necessary training tool.
Best Dog Crates for Bloodhounds
Here are our Bloodhound dog crate reviews.
The Haige Pet Crate has a unique design that stands up to even the most aggressive, large and anxious Bloodhounds. While this crate is extremely sturdy, it is also easy to move as it is on four caster wheels. And, this crate is suitable for both indoor and outdoor use.
- The front door of the Haige locks with two patent latches.
- The lower pan has an integrated lip around the perimeter to contain any mess.
- The heavy duty frame is made from rust and corrosion-resistant steel with a nontoxic finished surface.
The MidWest double-door dog crate is an ideal crate for your Bloodhound, whether you’re crate training your puppy or creating a cozy den for your more senior dog. In fact, this crate comes with a divider panel so the crate can grow with your Bloodhound puppy. This crate sets up in seconds and can be easily moved or stored.
- Strong metal construction allows for excellent ventilation while creating a cozy den.
- Two heavy duty slide bolt latches filmly lock the dog crate door in place.
- This crate can hold puppies to dogs up to 100 pounds.
Gelinzon is an extremely highly rated kennel that can withstand anything that your Bloodhound brings. The steel frame is chew proof and non-corrosive with a nontoxic finish will keep your pet safe. The cage is large enough for your pet to settle and also features an extremely secure door with two locks to prevent escape.
- Gelinzon features a heavy duty frame that is made from rust and corrosion-resistant steel with a nontoxic finished surface.
- This cage features 360-degree locking casters that both move crates anywhere and lock the wheels in place.
- Two patented locks with safety buckles prevent the dogs from opening the door and escaping.
Parpet’s heavy duty kennels is one of the strongest, most durable pet kennels. Parapet’s kennels provide a secure, private and cozy den for your Bloodhound to rest while you are away. With an easy set up, this is the perfect choice to keep your Bloodhound safe and comfortable inside.
- Parapet is constructed from 20-gauge durable steel with 0.5 inch diameter strong metal bars.
- The removable strong metal tray underneath the floor grate uses a D-ring handle for fast and efficient cleaning.
- Parapet features four removable 3” TPR rubber casters with a braking system for easy positioning.
Bloodhound Dog Crate Buying Guide
The Bloodhound is a loving, large, stubborn, strong and intelligent breed. These dogs are extremely wonderful companions, but they do require serious training. Without this, the Bloodhound may grow aggressive, bored and destructive. And, because Bloodhounds are so smart and large, the average crate could be dented or even broken by your Bloodhound. You know that you need a crate large enough to fit your Bloodhound, or a crate that offers enough room for your Bloodhound puppy to grow–but what else should you be looking for in a crate? We think you should consider these factors.
Extremely durable construction
The Bloodhound puppy and adult is an extremely strong dog and can have destructive tendencies if left alone too long. Unless you are using the crate for a simple safety den, at which point it is recommended you might also want to purchase a more durable crate, it’s important that the crate is made of more indestructible, chew proof material. Look for crates made of steel that have been treated with a non-toxic and non-corrosive material to prevent rusting. As mentioned, it is best to avoid soft crates unless you are using it simply as a space for a bed.
The Bloodhound is exceptionally intelligent and also very strong. A crate that features a double locking system would be ideal. The Genzilion crate, for example, features two locks and safety buckle, as does the Haige and the Parapet. If your Bloodhound is in the cage and gets on the scent or something catches their eye, a cage that lacks proper locks will be useless at containment.
Easy to wash
Bloodhounds love to eat, and if they have food or water in their crate, it’s inevitable that they will get crumbs. These dogs are also known to slobber a bit. Therefore, the ideal crate will be easy to clean to keep your Bloodhound’s space and your home smelling fresh. Look for crates that have a durable, sliding tray in the bottom that can be quickly washed to remove debris or water.
As with any breed or crate, it is imperative that your crate has proper ventilation. Not only will this help your Bloodhound keep track of you and prevent anxiety, the ventilation will help your pet breathe and pant comfortably, thus keeping your pet’s safety and comfort at a maximum. Look for crates with strong steel bars and visibility throughout.
- Best Dog Crate
- Best Small Dog Crate
- Best Large Dog Crate
- Best Dog Playpen
- Best Outdoor Dog Kennel
- Best Dog Bed
- Best Dog House
- Best Heavy Duty Dog Crate
- Best Airline Approved Dog Carrier
- Best Portable Dog Crate
- Best Dog Crates for the Car
- Best Soft Dog Crates
- Best Dog Gates
- Best Dog Food for Bloodhounds
- Best Puppy Food for Bloodhounds
- Best Dog Bed for Bloodhounds
- Best Dog Brush for Bloodhounds
- Best Dog Toys for Bloodhounds
- Best Dog Collar for Bloodhounds
- Best Dog Harness for Bloodhounds
- Best Dog Muzzle for Bloodhounds
- Best Dog Shampoo for Bloodhounds