The Labrador is one of the best-loved dogs in the world, and has a large following among families as well as hunters who like the dog for its excellent retrieving instincts. The breed can be yellow, brown, or black colored and is known for a friendly disposition and a love of playing fetch and swimming. They can be big dogs, however, and for training or transportation purposes many owners decide to have a crate handy.
When buying a crate for your Labrador, make sure it is big enough and can handle crating a wet or excitable dog.Whether you have a Labrador puppy or a senior dog, you may be looking for a special crate for your beloved family member. We’ve selected our top five crates.
Best Dog Crates for Labrador Retrievers
Here are our Labrador Retriever dog crate reviews.
The MidWest double-door dog crate is an ideal crate for your Labrador, whether you’re crate training a puppy or creating a cozy den for your more senior dog. In fact, this crate comes with a divider panel so the crate can grow with your puppy. This crate sets up in seconds and can be easily moved or stored.
- Strong metal construction allows for excellent ventilation while creating a cozy den.
- Two heavy duty slide bolt latches filmly lock the dog crate door in place.
- This crate can hold puppies to dogs up to 100 pounds.
The Parpet is one of the most popular dog crates because it is extremely high performance. The cage is constructed from 20-gauge sturdy steel. It also has a unique locking system to prevent escape.
- Made with steel and strengthened with welding at stress points to provide durability.
- The removable strong metal tray beneath the floor grate makes for very easy clearnng.
- 360-degree swivel casters allow for easy transportation.
The Petmate ProValue is a lightweight crate that is really ideal for training your Labrador puppy. There is no assembly required and it is easy to move this crate to help bring your puppy to wherever you are located. This crate is ideal for Labrador puppies from 15-30 pounds.
- No assembly required, this crate easily folds flat for storage.
- Includes a removable cleaning tray.
- This crate also comes with a divider panel to stay with your puppy as it grows.
The Petsfit Portable is perfect for the Labrador on the go! This soft shelled crate is still very durable. It is waterproof and works for camping, transportation, hotels and more!
- This Petsfit includes a screw-in frame design that holds the mesh in place.
- Several mesh designs offer excellent ventilation.
- Clips secure the zippers on to the crate.
The IY QAQA is a heavy duty pet cage that is perfect for training or reinforcing house rules! The crate provides a high level of ventilation and visibility so your Labrador never feels isolated from the family. And, you can purchase additional accessories to create an even cozier space.
- Two slide-bolt latches increase safety and security.
- The double door design allows for multiple points of entry.
- Made of durable steel, this crate can even rotate.
Labrador Retriever Dog Crate Buyer’s Guide
Labradors are playful, medium-sized dogs who love water, a holdover from their heritage as retrieving dogs. Whether you are purchasing a more permanent crate or a portable crate for your Labrador, there are a number of facts that you should consider to keep your pet cozy and injury free. If you are in the market for a crate, ensure that it meets the following criteria:
Big enough to make the dog comfortable.
Labradors are compact, athletic dogs who love to run and play. Although classified as medium sized, they often can have long limbs and in any case they are most happy when they can move around. Make sure that a crate for your Labrador is big enough for his body, and for his personality.
Made of sturdy material
Labradors are large dogs, so it is important that the crate you purchase should be made of sturdy materials. If you are not purchasing a portable crate, look for one made of stainless steel construction. The Parpet, for example, also features stainless steel with extra welding at the stress points.
If you are purchasing a portable crate for your Labrador, look for a crate constructed of durable nylon. In addition, look for a portable crate that does have steel or strong PVC piping at the joints , to prevent your Labrador from chewing through the material.
Proper ventilation and visibility.
It’s critical that the crate you purchase provides proper ventilation. If you are purchasing a crate made of steel, this won’t be a problem. However, this is critical if you are purchasing a crate made of fabric. In these crates, look for ample mesh windows on the sides and on the top. This will not limit your dog’s ability to breath, as well as provide your Labrador proper visibility so he or she does not suffer from any anxiety.
Labradors are intelligent dogs and can be escape artists. In addition to ensuring that your crate is made of strong construction, it’s important that the latches on your crate are extra secure. In a steel crate, look for double latches or side bolt latches. These latches will ensure your pet’s safety and keep him or her from destructive material when you are away.
If you are looking for a portable crate, ensure that the latches are made with high-quality zippers. Look for a crate that has YKK zippers.
Easy to store
Labradors can grow to be very large dogs, and with that, their crate can also be very large! As an added bonus, look for crates that are easy to store and portable. Whether made of steel or made of mesh, a crate that can fold into small storage when not in use is ideal!
- Best Dog Crate
- Best Small Dog Crate
- Best Large Dog Crate
- Best Dog Playpen
- Best Outdoor Dog Kennel
- Best Dog Bed
- Best Dog House
- Best Heavy Duty Dog Crate
- Best Airline Approved Dog Carrier
- Best Portable Dog Crate
- Best Dog Crates for the Car
- Best Soft Dog Crates
- Best Dog Gates
- Best Dog Food for Labrador Retrievers
- Best Puppy Food for Labrador Retrievers
- Best Dog Bed for Labrador Retrievers
- Best Dog Brush for Labrador Retrievers
- Best Dog Toys for Labrador Retrievers
- Best Dog Collar for Labrador Retrievers
- Best Dog Harness for Labrador Retrievers
- Best Dog Muzzle for Labrador Retrievers
- Best Dog Shampoo for Labrador Retrievers