Shih Tzus are a loyal breed, known to stay close to their owners. This breed is loyal, alert and active and generally love to be a part of the family. However, because they are usually so intune to a family, Shih Tzus usually need their own space, which is where a crate may come in handy as a safe space. The Shih Tzu, while usually very loving, can be a bit stubborn.
Owners report that the biggest issue with Shih Tzus, especially as they are puppies, is housebreaking. This is why having a crate is essential with helping Shih Tzus break bad habits. It’s also important to note that Shih Tzus do exhibit separation anxiety, so the perfect dog crate should provide a calming, comfortable interior.
Best Dog Crates for Shih Tzus
Here are our Shih Tzu dog crate reviews.
The Carlson small dog crate is designed to create a safe, den-like environment for your pet. This durable crate has one door at the front and also features a multi point locking system–helpful for those tiny escape artists! This crate comes in standard sizes and is perfect for training and for security for your Shih Tzu.
- This crate is made of durable steel and comes in multiple colors.
- The Carlson includes a removable tray for easy cleaning.
- The fold and go system allows for portability and easy storage.
The EliteField 3 Door crate is the perfect comfort both at home and on the go. This crate is indoor and outdoor safe and comes with a two-year warranty. This crate is so highly reviewed that it is currently rated as #1 on Amazon.
- The crate frame is made of a strong steel tube and the cover is made of durable 600D hex mesh fabric.
- Three mesh doors add for comfort and breathability and visibility.
- EliteField comes with a free carrying bag and fleece bed.
The Go Pet Club helps you provide shelter wherever you and your Shih Tzu go! This crate is portable and lightweight and is made of water resistant material. This crate is perfect for indoor and outdoor use!
- This crate is made of water-resistant, heavy duty polyester with PVC backing.
- Screen mesh doors provide secure confinement.
- This crate folds to less than 2 inches thick for easy storage.
The Shih Tzu can be an incredibly stylish dog, so why shouldn’t your Shih Tzu’s crate be the same? This crate does double duty as an end table and comes in multiple sizes. The durable frame have great ventilation and visibility and can also be a home to your pet and your decor!
- ecoFlex is a non-toxic, recycled plastic-wood polymer that won’t warp or crack.
- The spindles are made of stainless steel tubing.
- Assembly is easy and requires no tools.
The Richell Pet Training crate is perfect for Shih Tzu puppies and full grown pups! The crate is portable and on wheels. Richell also has two storage trays that allow for treat storage, leashes and toys.
- Richell features casters that allow for easy mobility and can move from room to room.
- This crate can be used with potty training pads.
- The storage trays allow for additional storage.
Shih Tzu Dog Crate Buyer’s Guide
Shih Tzus love to be near their families and are very loyal pets. In fact, you’re most likely to find a Shih Tzu hoping to sit on your lap and snuggling up with your family. However, crate training can be an essential part of a Shih Tzu puppy’s routine. Moreover, that crate can remain a safe and secure place for your Shih Tzu to go while it needs a break or when you need to leave the home. If you are considering purchasing a crate for your Shih Tzu, there are certain elements that you want to factor in your decision.
Shih Tzus are considered toy breeds. One of the benefits? Shih Tzus won’t go from small puppy size to large breed, which means that you can purchase a crate when they are a puppy and that can grow with them. The upside of this is that your Shih Tzu will grow to know their crate is their safe space. When shopping for a crate, consider a crate that might fit an adult sized Shih Tzu. Some crates may even offer the ability to put a divider in there to remove as the pet grows.
Easy to clean
A crate that is easy to clean is essential when deciding on what to purchase. This is especially important if you are working on crate training with a Shih Tzu puppy. Shih Tzus also have small bladders and may be prone to accidents. It’s important to find a crate that can easily be cleaned up for hygienic purposes. In addition, a crate with a slide out tray will catch crumbs from treats or toys and can be removed and hosed down.
Visibility and ventilation
It’s so important to be able to see your Shih Tzu while he or she is in their crate. This is because a crate with high visibility will likely have increased ventilation. If you are purchasing a crate that has a soft cover, look for one that has mesh windows on all sides and on top. More permanent crates will likely be made of durable metal wires that can be wiped down but offer total ventilation.
Portability and weight
Shih Tzus love to be near their owners; you may want to move the crate from room to room depending on where you are located. Or, you may want the crate outside in the family spaces during the day and in the bedroom at night. This is where lightweight or portable crates are ideal. A fabric crate can be easily carried from room to room. If you’re not purchasing a fabric crate, look for crates that feature wheels or can be folded up quickly and easily to carry.
- Best Dog Crate
- Best Small Dog Crate
- Best Large Dog Crate
- Best Dog Playpen
- Best Outdoor Dog Kennel
- Best Dog Bed
- Best Dog House
- Best Heavy Duty Dog Crate
- Best Airline Approved Dog Carrier
- Best Portable Dog Crate
- Best Dog Crates for the Car
- Best Soft Dog Crates
- Best Dog Food for Shih Tzus
- Best Puppy Food for Shih Tzus
- Best Dog Bed for Shih Tzus
- Best Dog Brush for Shih Tzus
- Best Dog Toys for Shih Tzus
- Best Dog Collar for Shih Tzus
- Best Dog Harness for Shih Tzus
- Best Dog Muzzle for Shih Tzus
- Best Dog Shampoo for Shih Tzus