When traveling, we want our dogs to be as comfortable and safe as possible. Often, this means securely crating them rather than letting them ride in the seats with a harness as you would on very short trips.
In our guide, we’ll review the best dog crates for the car, and explain what makes each one unique. Following that, our buyer’s guide will simplify the task of choosing a crate for your car, and inspire you to take that next road trip with confidence.
Best Dog Crates for the Car
Here are our reviews of the best dog crates for the car.
The MidWest Homes for Pets Dog Crate is a foldable metal crate that can be used on car seats or in a cargo area. Heavy-duty slide bolt latch keeps your dog safely and securely confined. It folds flat in seconds without tools, once the journey is over.
- Available in single or double door models
- Comes in seven sizes to best fit your needs
- Includes crate divider to keep it appropriately sized for the dog’s life stage
The AmazonBasics Folding Metal Dog Crate is a folding metal wire crate that can be used to safely transport your dog anywhere you go. Double slide-bolt latches keep the door locked and adds stability. Once you reach your destination, the crate folds flat and has a handle for easy transport.
- Composite floor pan to contain any messes or accidents
- Comes in a single or double door design
- Available in six sizes to fit your dog and vehicle
The Petnation Port-A-Crate is a lightweight soft crate that works great for transporting your dog. It is made from a tight-weave mesh over a folding steel frame. Available in four sizes, it is a great option for crate trained dogs up to 70 pounds.
- Honeycomb mesh windows allow optimal ventilation
- The two-door style allows access from the front or the top
- The cover is fully machine washable
The EliteField 3-Door Folding Soft Dog Crate is a versatile soft crate that is great for traveling. Constructed from a durable 600D fabric over a steel tube frame, it is designed to last. Once the trip is over, the bag is easily carried by either the hand carrying straps or padded shoulder strap.
- Includes a free carrying bag and fleece crate bed
- Folds flat to just 3” thick for easy storage
- Three mesh doors provide ultimate ventilation and visibility
The Noz2Noz Soft-Krater is a heavy-duty soft crate that stands up to the rigors of travel. It is made from a mesh weave fabric over a steel frame. Sets up and collapses in seconds with the push-button operation.
- Available in five sizes
- Cover can be removed for easy cleaning and is machine washable
- Rounded corners won’t harm auto interiors
The Petmate Sky Kennel is a super sturdy plastic hard crate that is perfect for traveling. The design is fully compliant with highway travel recommendations, so you can have confidence in its performance. The extra strong wire door ensures your dog stays safely confined.
- Available in six sizes to make sure all dogs have the chance to stay safe
- Vault door and wire vents provide 360-degree visibility and ventilation
- Satisfies your dog’s natural urge to den, making them feel extra secure while traveling
The Aivituvin Soft-Sided Pet Travel Carrier is a great travel crate for dogs under 20 pounds. It is designed to provide comfortable ventilation on all sides. It includes a fleece crate mat that can be machine washed.
- Super lightweight design
- Folds down for simple storage
- Shoulder carrying strap
The Petmate Two Door Top Load is a sturdy plastic travel crate designed for small dogs. It has grated steel doors that provide solid security for your dog. The 360-degree vented sides provide great airflow and visibility.
- Easy squeeze latches to easily secure your pet
- Unique top loading door makes loading and unloading your dog easy
- Comes in four color options
The SportPet Designs Travel Dog Crate is a durable and versatile dog crate for travel. Openings on all sides provide optimal ventilation. Top handles and removable wheels make moving the crate to and from your vehicle easy.
- Includes live animal stickers, food and water bowls, and metal nuts and bolts
- Six sizes available for dogs of all sizes
- Removable wheels to help ease movement when not traveling
The Impact Collapsible Aluminum Dog Crate is a heavy-duty aluminum travel crate. Super durable, it is constructed from powder-coated .063 aluminum. The crush-proof corners and welded rivets add to the ultra high strength design.
- Available in four sizes for dogs up to 100 pounds
- Ultimate flow-through ventilation on all four sides
- No need to lock the door behind your dog with the unique “slam-latch”
Car Dog Crate Buyer’s Guide
Two things you’ll want to consider when choosing a dog crate for the car are whether you want a soft or hard crate, and what sizes that crate is available in.’
One difference between a soft and a hard crate is going to be the ease of cleaning it. With most soft crates, you can simply take off the fabric cover and throw it in the laundry, essentially making cleaning a one-step process. With hard crates, you’ll either need to remove the floor pan and wash it or take the top half off of the crate and wash the bottom out and dry it manually. Another difference is going to be safety. In the event of an accident or collision, a hard crate is going to provide an extra layer of rigid protection for the dog, whereas a soft crate is going to deform much more easily, and will not offer much in the way of protection.
Dog Crates for the Car Review Conclusion
We hope our guide has helped you to be able to make a more educated decision regarding what you need in a crate and simplified the task of choosing a dog crate for your car. As long as you take into account the size of the dog, and whether you prefer the crate to be hard or soft, you can choose the best crate for your car.