Buying the best dog crate is one of those decisions that a lot of pet parents have to make in urgency. The dog needs to be transported in a day or two. You are desperate for time. And you might pick up the one that ships the soonest to your place.
Or, your puppy needs to be crate-trained and you come across this swanky, large dog crate that you believe is the bees knees for your pet and you pick it up without a second thought.
We have been eating and breathing dog crates for the past few months. We have been checking out crates of varying sizes, speaking to customers, kennel owners, and vets to create the most unbiased line up of dog crates for varied applications. The only thing we couldn’t do is live in a crate. But we promise to do that too.
Here are our top picks:
Best Dog Crates
The iCrate ticks all the boxes that one looks for in a good quality dog crate. It is built like a rock, can take a licking and keep on kicking and is roomy enough to accommodate your medium-sized pet. This is the 30-inch model. It is also available in six other, pet-specific sizes.
The most notable being the extra-large dog crate, 54-inch model for giant breeds like Great Danes and the 42-inch model for large dog breeds like Retrievers and collies.
Heavy duty construction
The iCrate is a breeze to set up. Just attach the sides and the doors and your dog has a new den, in minutes. It has a heavy-duty, metallic wireframe design that prevents gnawers from breaking out.
Also, the wires and the edges of the cage are rounded, preventing scratches and scruffs to your pets.
Irrespective of the size you pick, there’s ample room for the pet to move, turn, sleep and stretch their front legs. If you prefer some extra room, just buy a bigger-sized cage and use the free divider to create a designated rest area.
The Double-door design makes it effortless to move your pet in and out. This also eases cleaning and maintenance.
Slide-bolt latches keep the pet safe and secured during travel, while portability is made easy, thanks to a sturdy carrying handle.
Rubberized feet protect your floor from potential damage when you are moving the crate within your home. When not in use, the iCrate collapses into a compact unit that can be tucked into a corner of the room.
- Budget-priced heavy duty crate
- Metallic wireframe design
- Rounded edges to keep your pet safe
- Rubberized feet to protect the flooring
- Easy to set up and collapse
- Sturdy handle for easy carrying
- Two doors for easy cleaning and maintenance
- Thousands of positive customer reviews all over
For over two decades, Midwest has been one of the only brands that offers heavy-duty crates for show dogs and pets. The Ultima Pro is one of their finest crates that can house large dog breeds without any problems whatsoever.
Got a cage destroyer for a pet? The Ultima Pro is just what you need. This extra-thick, heavy-duty dog crate is touted to be one of the strongest and one of the most durable dog crates that money can buy.
Heaviest gauge Stainless steel
The Ultima is engineered with the heaviest gauge stainless steel that are used in dog crates. The result is a cage that does not bend, get dented or can be broken out of.
Your dog can chew or gnaw it all that they want to. The Ultima just endures it.
The tradeoff is that it weighs 56 pounds. If you intend to use the carrying handle supplied with the cage, you are in for a serious arm workout.
Thankfully, there are caster wheels on the bottom that allow the cage to be easily pushed around home.
Upgraded Two-door design with leak-proof plastic base
The earlier iteration of the Ultima Pro had a three-door design which was marred by poorly designed hinges. This is an upgraded two-door version with newly designed hinges. Opening both the doors allows you to clean the cage easily.
Doggie drool, dander and fur are contained in the large, leak-proof plastic base in the cage. There’s pan stopper that prevents it from slipping accidentally when your pet moves about.
Like most other cages from Midwest, there’s no dearth of room. Buy the right size for your pet breed and they will be able to move around, rest and stretch comfortably in the cage.
- Heavy-duty cage
- Thickest gauge stainless steel
- Two-door design
- Leak proof plastic pan base
- Pan stopper
- Lots of room for your pet
The smallest one is 22-inches while the largest one measures a roomy 48-inches keeping you covered irrespective of the size of your pet.
This is a no-frills attached, barebones dog crate that works perfectly for both containment as well as travel.
Airy, spacious den
Thanks to the wireframe design, there’s no dearth of light or air for your pet. If you have an anxious traveler, they get reassured seeing you around.
The quality of the wireframe is top-notch. While it is not as heavy gauge as the one from Midwest, it won’t bend or get dented for sure. We spoke to a customer who did a quality-check of sorts, asking their 50-pound son to sit on the cage. It held up just fine.
No sharp edges anywhere on the inside. Also, there are two slide-bolt latches on each of the doors ensuring that even the trickiest escape artist stays confined and secured.
Mini Dividers on the bottom
We love the mini-dividers on the bottom of this dog cage from AmazonBasics. It’s such a thoughtful addition that prevents the paws of your pets from slipping out of the cage and causing an injury, especially during travel.
There is an optional divider panel included in the package that allows you to tailor the size of the cage. This is particularly useful if you have a growing puppy. You can keep shifting the panel as your puppy grows.
Lastly, a removable, composite plastic pan completes, what is a well-rounded package.
Most big box ticket stores retail cages like these for $100+ at least. At this price point, the value that the dog cage offers is unbeatable.
- Budget-priced large dog crate
- Perfect for both containment and travel
- No sharp edges
- Divider panel
- Mini-dividers on the bottom to prevent paws from slipping out
- Removable composite plastic bas
It has mesh windows on three sides and will never let your pet feel claustrophobic.
Most importantly, it folds away completely flat and can easily disappear into the tiny corner of a storage closet.
With a thick, tubular steel frame that’s 1” in diameter, the EliteField Soft crate is incredibly sturdy.
We spoke to a customer who was driving through torrential rain in her Forester with the cage strapped on the back seat (without the pet inside). It got banged up pretty hard due to the terrain. There wasn’t a single bent tube on it.
The tube frame is covered by a stretch-fit 600D nylon fabric that’s waterproof and impermeable to doggy teeth. Three mesh windows, two on each sides and one panoramic sunroof, allows fussy travelling dogs to get their dose of sunshine and motivating talks.
Pockets for the essentials
There are three, large pockets on the sides that allow you to carry the pet essentials, like leashes and bottles.
Also included in the package is a large fleece bed and a carrying bag with padded, adjustable shoulder straps. This makes it so easy to move the cage for short distances.
Certainly beats the carrying handle which isn’t the most comfortable one to use with a 60 lbs. dog inside it.
The fleece bed is removable and washable. While it is reasonably thick and comfortable, we would recommend that you swap it with your dog’s own bed. The cage is roomy enough and it will fit in easily.
- Large, sturdy soft crate
- Thick tubular steel frame
- 600D nylon fabric coating
- Mesh windows on three sides
- Roomy enough
- 13 colors and 5 sizes available
- Fleece bed included
- Three pouches for storage
The Noz2Noz Soft Krater keeps you covered in such situations. It is a roomy, comfortable soft cage with three peek through windows and comes with over 7 years of proven performance. Customers quip at length about the durability of this soft cage.
The thoughtful design allows it to be used for travel as well as for general confinement at home or at a hotel.
Soft, stretch canvas
The Noz2Noz has a soft, stretch canvas cover that’s resistant to spills and splashes. It is machine washable and extremely easy to remove off the sturdy wireframe.
Three mesh windows keep the inside of the cage bright and airy at all times. Anxious dogs will stay calm because they can see and hear their parents at all times.
There are metal zippers on all sides along with slide-latches to keep the pets securely tucked in. These usually suffice to thwart any attempts to nose or claw their way out.
Noz2Noz has also included a carry handle. We wouldn’t personally recommend lifting the entire cage off the ground with the pet inside it, especially if you have a large dog.
Use this only when the cage is collapsed or doesn’t have the pet inside it.
- Proven track record
- Thousands of positive customer reviews
- Soft, stretchy canvas cover
- Machine washable, waterproof base
- Zippers on the sides
- Slide latches to secure the pet
- Carry handle
- Can be collapsed and set up in minutes
Here are the other dog crates that we took a look at:
This durable dog crate is made of materials like tensile-strength wire gauge with an epoxy coating finish, making it impervious to rust, corrosion, and fading, regardless of the climate. It is easy to manage as it comes pre-assembled, can be folded down for storage into a package less than 3 inches thick, and includes a handle for easy carrying. It also comes with a divider in case you want two dogs to share the crate as well as leak-proof tray that won’t stain, warp, or contain any odors.
- It has two large doors: one on the front and one on the side.
- The removable divider means you can keep two pets separate in the same crate.
- It comes fully assembled; just unfold it to open.
This crate is available in six different sizes and includes the option to select whether you’d like one door or two. It includes a divider panel, tray, carrying handle, and rubber roller feet to protect your floors and make transport easier. Additionally, MidWest Homes for Pets’ quality guarantee includes a one-year warranty.
- Rounded corners protect your pet from sharp metal edges.
- Sturdier than MidWest Homes’ iCrate (made of heavier gauge steel and tighter wire mesh).
- The free divider panel allows you to adjust the size of the crate while your puppy is still growing.
Built with commercial-quality steel, this is the dog crate that will outlast all others. It is heavy duty with a solid frame, so if you’ve had a hard time with your pup escaping in the past, that will no longer be a possibility. All this without diminishing your dog’s comfort, and it’s available in two colors: black or silver.
- This crate sits on wheels (four casters for easy transport) that lock to prevent unwanted movement.
- Has a convenient two-door design with one door on the front and one on the top.
- The double tray design allows any soiling to drop through the meshed tray to the lower one (which has a lip around the perimeter to prevent any leaks), keeping your dog clean and dry.
Great for house training and everyday use, this dog crate is all about creating options to best meet your dog’s needs. Each crate has two doors and is available in six sizes (extra small to extra-large). It is also easily collapsible for efficient storage or traveling and can be adjusted as your dog grows using the included panel.
- Separate entrances allow for easy access.
- This crate can collapse hassle-free into roughly 2 inches in depth
- The five-point precision lock system will keep your pet safely and securely inside.
This crate will serve as an excellent tool for behavior training. Furthermore, it is a personal, den-like space to meet your dog’s instinctual needs. New World Crates also offers a variety of accessories that are compatible with this crate to create the best possible environment for your furry friend.
- There are five size options ranging from 24 to 48 inches in length (and corresponding increases in height and width).
- It is covered by a one-year manufacturer’s warranty.
- You have the option to purchase a single or double door crate.
Midwest thought of everything when they created this Crate and essentials starter kit. It comes with a fully equipped two-door crate, a fleece dog bed, a crate cover, and two pet bowls that you can attach to the dog crate. As if this wasn’t enough, you can purchase in peace with the included one-year warranty.
- The included pet bed and cover are made to fit your exact crate and are machine washable.
- There are six size options.
- You can customize your crate when you pick from three color options: black, blue, or pink.
The lightweight plastic design of this crate makes it ideal for transport and travel. There are many ventilation openings on the crate that will keep your pet visible and provide plenty of fresh air. With so many options for colors and sizes, you can be sure to get the look and style you’re looking for.
- There are nine size options based on your pet’s weight.
- There are eight different color/color combination options.
- This is a crate that will allow you to travel with your dog as it meets most airline cargo specifications, but is also well-suited to everyday use, whether indoor or outdoor.
This perfect, puppy-sized crate, which comes in blue or pink, is one of the few things that could make your pup look any cuter. Designed to make housetraining as carefree as possible, it includes an easily cleaned tray to catch any messes. There are two doors to help you have the easiest access to your new dog.
- It comes in a lovely sky blue color or bright pink.
- You won’t need to stress over assembling or disassembling this crate, as you can fold or unfold it quickly depending on your needs.
- It is 24 inches long, 17 inches wide, and 20 inches high.
With room to play, your dog will hardly have time to miss you while you’re working. The eight-panel design has protected seams and reinforced corners to help it last. With a zippered door, removable shade, and lightweight material, this provides a homier alternative to a metal crate.
- It is available in three sizes.
- It is waterproof.
- It can be folded up into a small carrying case (included) and includes a collapsible, 16-ounce travel bowl and removable shade cover if your dog will be outside for a while.
The size options for this soft crate include both dimensions and weight recommendations, giving you total clarity when you order. It has two doors and mesh windows on all four sides for steady airflow. Designed for a dog that has already been crate-trained, this crate will be the epitome of comfort for your furry pal.
- This crate includes secure zipper closures and straps to keep rolled-up doors effectively fastened.
- It is made out of a PVC frame and breathable, polyester fabric.
- It is available in five sizes.
Reasonably priced and highly rated, this all-steel crate boasts a secure locking system to ensure your pet’s safety. It comes in five sizes, ranging from 24 inches long (for pets up to 25 pounds) to 48 inches long (for larger breeds up to 120 pounds). Its simple design and secure features will leave you with nothing to worry about.
- It has a single door at the front of the crate.
- This crate includes a removable and washable pan.
- It is portable and foldable, making travel, storage, or moving easier than ever.
This beautiful crate doubles as an end table, so you won’t have to worry about it being an eyesore in your home. It is available in four modern colors: antique white, espresso, grey, and russet brown. It is easy to keep clean and not difficult to assemble (no tools required).
- This crate comes in four sizes.
- It is made of ecoflex, which is a non-toxic, recycled, plastic-wood polymer composite material.
- The unique materials used to create this crate mean it won’t warp, crack, or split.
This pet crate screams luxury. With five size options and five classic colors to choose from, you’ll be able to find exactly what you need from Casual Home. Your pampered pet will be looking cozy and classy as ever in this crate!
- It will blend in beautifully with your home decor as this dual purpose crate doubles as an end table.
- Assembly time will be minimal as this crate was engineered to keep your life simple.
- The secure, lockable latch will keep your pet safe and secure, giving you peace of mind while you’re away.
If you’ve been searching for a classic dog crate, look no further. This one comes highly rated and is available at a competitive price. If you’re feeling indecisive, this will simplify your search: it only comes in a classic black color.
- There are two doors on each size; for the smaller crates, there is one door on the front and another on top. For the larger models, you’ll find a front and side door for your pet’s convenience.
- This crate is available in six sizes that range from extra small to extra-large.
- An adjustable divider will be included with your purchase to accommodate your growing pup.
With a double-hinged front door for your pet’s convenience (and giving you the option of removal altogether), this crate was created to make your life easy. It was designed with a slide-on top for easy assembly and will snap together in three simple steps, although Petmate includes complementary, optional hardware if you desire additional security. This crate, which comes exclusively with pearl white top and black bottom, is ideal for air travel, but there’s no reason it wouldn’t work great inside your home or outside if preferred.
- This crate comes in seven size options based on weight, ranging from 10 pounds all the way up to 90 pounds.
- It meets most cargo requirements for air travel, so you can bring your pup with you wherever you go!
- Extensive ventilation will keep your pet highly visible, more importantly, safe and comfortable.
Available in three sizes and a lovely heather gray color, this lightweight crate provides a cozy option for your furry friend. Even though it’s a soft crate, you won’t have to worry about messes; it includes a waterproof bottom, a machine washable pad, and three mesh sides allow for plenty of ventilation. It’s worth noting, though, that it will not function well as a carrier.
- It is foldable and can fit easily inside the carrying bag, which is included with your purchase.
- The soft, fleece mat will provide notable comfort for your pup, and it’s machine washable.
- There are several pockets on the rear side of the crate that allow for convenient storage of small goods.
In black or heather gray, this unique soft crate can function as either an open bed or a secure crate based on your needs. With flaps that roll up and down, it is lightweight, sturdy, and foldable. The included soft pad is removable and washable to keep the crate fresh and clean.
- It has two doors (front and side) which can be rolled up or down.
- You have the option to purchase it new or used, and Petsfit is currently offering free shipping.
- The patented frame that goes inside the soft crate screws in easily and offers a solid structure that will hold the mesh securely in place.
This four-door pet crate offers three unique color options: sage, chocolate, or tan. The built-in wheels and convenient handle make moving the crate from room to room effortless. It can fold flat and slide conveniently into a lovely travel bag that will utilize the crate’s wheels, allowing it to roll like a small piece of luggage.
- The extreme accessibility provided by all of the doors makes this feel like a dog crate from the future.
- It is available in three sizes based on length from 27 to 42 inches.
- All four doors can open up (top, two sides, and front)–even the large front door can slide up and back down (similar to a garage door).
This one was built for the big dogs: Great Danes, Mastiffs, St. Bernards, and other XXL dog breeds will finally have enough room to sprawl out in this crate. It comes in a double or single door option, and the price is very reasonable for the size. You may be used to hearing that your big dog will not be accommodated well, but that isn’t something you’ll have to worry about with this crate; it was made for dogs over 110 pounds.
- Midwest includes a one-year warranty just in case, but based on the high ratings, you likely won’t need it.
- With three secure side-bolt latches on each door, your pet will be completely secure inside.
- This giant crate includes a patent-pending L-bar safety feature, designed to reinforce the dog crate side panels and prevent them from bending.
Shaped like an octagon, this spacious, 8-paneled soft crate will give your pup plenty of room to play. It is perfect for a campsite, garden, or even your living room floor. When you purchase this pet playpen (which features a bottle holder and exterior side pockets for personal items), you will also receive a mesh top to zip on when needed, four metal spikes for outdoor safety, a lovely carrying case, and a commitment to support you from the Zampa customer service team.
- You can purchase this crate in three sizes and pick between four colors: blue, brown, pink, or red.
- The detachable roof allows for easy cleaning while the attached floor makes escape plans from the bottom impossible.
- It is made with water resistant materials, protected seams, and reinforced corners.
Intended to simplify the pet training experience, this crate is available in six different sizes. It was designed with durability, convenience, and versatility in mind. Paws & Pals boasts that “it’s so spacious, you can fit in it too!”
- The extra small crate comes with one door, but the other five sizes have two (on the side and front).
- This is one of the most reasonably priced, classic crates on Amazon.
- Your pup will be quite secure as this crate is made of heavy duty solid steel, high tensile strength wire, and a black electro coat finish.
This compact crate is perfect for puppies or small dogs up to 25 pounds. It comes with one door and a secure locking system. Your pup will be the cutest one on the block in this adorable, light blue crate.
- It folds flat, can be set up in seconds, and includes an easily removed pan that is easy to clean.
- This crate is eligible for free shipping and free returns
- It comes in a lovely, light blue color.
Available in blue, pink, or black, this crate comes in three sizes to accommodate your pup. The double door model features a door at the front and another at the side for easy entrance and overall accessibility. Each crate includes a leak-proof, plastic pan to make cleaning easier.
- The crate can collapse when you need to store it away, and a handle can be attached for convenient transportation.
- This is a sturdy model made from durable wire steel.
- For a relatively standard crate, the reviews are soaring: it is averaging a 4.5/5 on Amazon right now.
Easily disguised as a tasteful end table, you can pick between two finishes to complement your decor: either mahogony or espresso. It is currently only available in medium (for pets up to 45 pounds) or large (for pets up to 80 pounds). It is made of ecologically sustainable rubberwood. The floor is made of waterproof, melamine-covered MDF, which means it is easy to clean and prevents absorption of liquids and odors.
- With slats on every side, this luxurious crate ensures excellent ventilation and high visibility between you and your pet.
- Some assembly is required, so your crate will come with an Installation Manual; you can also view it on the Amazon page.
- The versatile, swing-through door can rotate inside so that it’s never in your way.
This roomy, octagonal soft crate will give your dog plenty of space to enjoy the day! The top can zip off or back on to provide shade, the mesh sides enable great ventilation, and there is no assembly is required. It includes an attached band for holding a water feeder bottle (the bottle is not included), four metal stakes that are helpful for securing the pen firmly to the ground (only use the stakes if you are outside), and a carrying bag to store and transport the folded crate.
- It comes in black, blue, pink, or maroon.
- You can customize it by adding blankets, pads, food and water bowls, and all of your pet’s favorite chew toys without crowding the space.
- The waterproof bottom will properly protect your floors from any accidental messes
With eleven adjustable width options, this crate will perfectly accommodate your growing dog or even two dogs. It includes a removable divider to give each dog their own space, and it also includes extra top panels to add as your crate expands. Even the floor pan extends to match the crate and your pup’s needs.
- It is recommended for dogs between 8 and 40 pounds.
- The sliding wire door means you have easy access to your dog or can easily let them out.
- It can expand from 35.4 inches wide to 60.6 inches wide.
Whether you’re house training your dog for the first time, correcting behavior problems, or just trying to keep your pet out of trouble while you’re away, this crate will work perfectly. There are five size options ranging from 15 pounds all the way up to 90 pounds. When you purchase this crate, you’ll also receive a durable, removable, polypropylene pan for easy cleaning as well as a divider panel to adjust the crate size.
- No assembly is required, and it folds flat for easy storage or transport.
- With a front and a side door featuring the patented lock system, you can place this versatile crate anywhere you need.
- The patented 5-Point Door Lock System completely removes any gaps in the top, sides, and middle of the door, which keeps your pet more secure than ever and increases the overall safety of the door system.
With five sizes and four colors to choose from, you can get the exact soft crate you’ve been hoping for. Unlike some of the flimsy dog crates on the market, this crate uses a sturdy, lightweight steel tube design that can be folded and unfolded quickly, and it also includes a top handle so that you can convert it into a fully-functional pet carrier. The Amazon’s Choice Award and soaring ratings will give you peace of mind while ordering, but if that’s not enough, you’ll receive a one-year warranty.
- The machine washable cover and mesh panel windows will help keep the crate smelling clean and new.
- Pet lovers will love this part: a portion of the sale will be donated to various pet shelters and charities.
- It is available in four fun colors: rawhide red, grizzle grey, bonny blue, or biscuit beige.
While this crate could work indoors, it looks like it was designed to keep your pet comfortable outdoors, whether in camping or in your own backyard. The waterproof roof and steel roof frame fit the crate snugly and protect your pet from sun, rain, snow, and debris. This allows the elements to run off the sides instead of accumulating on the top.
- The added UV protection on the roof prevents ripping, cracking, fading, or peeling.
- Elastic cords help secure the roof to the cage, and their sturdiness prevents any breakage or stretching.
- It comes in two sizes and the corresponding roof: 4 x 4 x 4.3 feet or 7.5 x 3.75 x 5.8 feet.
Interestingly, this crate is only available in extra small, extra-large, or extra-extra-large. At $14.99, the extra small crate is about the most affordable one on the market. Whether you are training or containing your dog, this is a classic crate with all the expected bells and whistles.
- The heavy duty wire will keep your dog secure while the removable tray will make clean up quick and easy.
- With two doors, you can position the crate wherever you like without worrying about blocking your dog’s entrance.
- The hammertone finish will add an extra touch for style.
In black or silver gray, this is one of the sturdiest crates available. The double door design means that the front door is suitable for your dog’s entrance or exit while you can unlatch and lift the top door to pet your pup. Assembly will only require three to five minutes while you attach the four wheels and eight screw bolts (and don’t worry, the locks were pre-assembled).
- The plastic tray will catch any excrement or dropped food and slide out easily to be cleaned.
- There are several sizes and styles to pick from: 38 inches, 38 inches with an upgrade to an anti-biting style, 42 inches, 42 inches with an upgrade to an anti-biting style, 46 inches, or a 48-inch model that is shaped like a house.
- This crate sits on wheels that can be rotated 360 degrees; these universal wheels can also be set to the lock position so that the crate won’t budge.
This adorable dog house was designed with small dogs in mind. It has one wire door on the front and was created to blend in perfectly with your home decor. It is made of cedar wood and coated with water-based paint that is safe for your pet.
- This small crate will comfortably house dogs under 30 pounds.
- Set up will be easy and only requires a few steps.
- Petsfit offers a 30-day warranty.
This classy crate comes in two very different styles: the Triple Door or the Cage with a Crate Cover. Both are available in black or white and will additionally function as an excellent end table. Both models are available in small, medium, or large.
- The Triple Door option features double hinged front doors and a side door while the Cage with a Crate Cover offers a side and a front door.
- Minimal assembly is required, and all tools are included.
- The removable tray for convenient cleaning is cleverly and discretely disguised.
With free shipping, this is a great time to invest in this multifunctional dog crate that will add a degree of elegance to your home. You can utilize it as a bedside table, an end table, or a large night stand. It comes with a 2.75″ padded, removable dog bed included.
- It is available in white or espresso.
- It features double hinged front doors as well as a side door.
- It is important to note that this crate is not chew-proof because it is made of wood.
Doubling as a tasteful end table, this unique pet crate is available in five size options to perfectly accommodate your furry friend. The solid wood construction features diagonal lattice slats, which allow for plenty of ventilation while further confirming its beauty. The secure latch can be locked easily for your peace of mind.
- All hardware required for assembly is included.
- The wood is from sustainable, durable pine wood.
- There are five appealing color options: espresso, black, walnut, white, or taupe gray.
This charming, two-in-one crate converts effortlessly into a gate for when your pup needs a bit more space to play. In crate form, the solid wood veneer top means it can function as an accent piece of furniture like an end table, complementing your other decor. In gate form, it effectively closes off hallways, doorways, stairs, or open spaces.
- A plastic tray is included to protect your floors and for you to use when it is set up like a crate.
- There is currently only one available size, and these are the product dimensions: the crate exterior is 39.80″ x 27.91″ x 31.50″; the crate interior is slightly smaller at 36.42″ x 24.53″ x 31.14″, and the gate measures124.41″ x 0.79″ x 31.14″.
- Each panel is removable, making your crate or gate customizable to your exact needs.
Available in brown or walnut, you can choose between five sizes to fit your dog. To utilize it as a crate in any room of your house, you’ll use three sides placed against a wall or corner (with the wall acting as the fourth side). The free-standing design was created to accommodate any space.
- It is made of hardwood and can expand to six feet in length.
- The integrated handles will make your life easy when you transform the crate to a gate or vice versa.
- The pin hinge enables the side panels to rotate nearly 360 degrees, which also gives you a practically endless list of options for configuration.
Designed for durability and strength, this crate does not cut any corners in regard to safety, security, and comfort. The accessible side and front door lock securely when needed, and the larger models include dual latches. It is available for purchase in six sizes ranging from 22 to 48 inches.
- No tools will be necessary for the simple assembly process.
- It is made for longevity with a protective, black electro-coat finish.
- For best results, be sure to check out the crate training tips from Frisco in the included instruction manual.
In seven different sizes, this single-door folding crate is basically the younger brother of the double-door. It was constructed to make transporting or storing the crate as simple as possible; just fold it down and pick it up from the convenient handle. You won’t be disappointed with this model, as was rated by previous buyers at 4.8 out of 5 stars with over 3,000 reviews.
- The single, large door contains your pet securely but will be easy for you to open, close, and latch.
- The included divider panel allows you to adjust the size of the crate as your puppy grows bigger.
- Included with your purchase, you will receive a plastic base pan that slides into the bottom of the crate for quick cleanup.
Pink, gray, brown, or blue: you pick! This crate is constructed of heavy gauge epoxy-coated wire sides. With a removable mesh roof that snaps on and off, you can easily determine the degree of confinement your pet needs.
- It sits on four non-slip rubber feet that will hold the crate securely in place and protect your floors from getting scratched.
- The bottom tray is easy to clean if your pup has an accident.
- The door slides open for access once you unlock the positive-lock latch.
This on-the-go soft crate has a level of versatility that makes it great in any environment. Engineered to last, it was built with a sturdy steel frame, water-resistant base, and durable fabric (which can be hand washed). It will work well for pets up to 85 pounds.
- This crate includes straps to help you secure the side mesh doors after you roll them up.
- The three zippered doors can be secured shut with locking clips.
- It comes in khaki green or dark gray as well as five practical sizes ranging from 21 to 42 inches.
This unique, circular crate was designed with car transport in mind. The round shape will fit better in your backseat than any crate with corners you’ve tried before. It will come with a carrying case, and although it was specifically created for more comfortable car travel, there’s no reason this tunnel-like crate wouldn’t work inside, too.
- It is 47 inches long and comes in a tan color.
- Adjustable straps can attach the tunnel to the backseat headrests and will keep the crate in place while you drive worry-free.
- With ample mesh windows, your pet will breathe easy, stay cool, and enjoy the view.
In dark brown, this beautiful wicker crate creates a cozy home for your pet without creating an eyesore in your home. The convenient, non-slip feet raise the entire crate off the floor, and the removable tray slides in and out effortlessly when you need to clean it. A brief note from the manufacturer mentions that this would not be the best crate for dogs with behavioral problems (chronic chewing in particular).
- The spring-loaded front door latches shut, can swing wide open, or can be tucked inside and out of sight, latching to the inside wall.
- You can pick between four sizes: small, medium, large, or extra-large.
- The Rhino Wicker material does not absorb fluids or odors, and it will clean up simply with soap and water.
Dog Crate Buying Guide
This buying guide has been created specifically to help you choose the best dog crate. It can be pretty difficult to find the right one if you don’t know what you are looking for. There are lots of choices out there, and each one is a little different and intended for a specific type of dog.
Things to consider before buying a dog crate
Now that we have that out of the way, let’s talk about the things to consider before buying a dog crate.
- Space: Always buy a dog crate that’s suited for your dog breed. There should be enough room for the dog to stand (ceiling clearance), sit, stretch and turn comfortably. If you are buying one size large, look for a cage with a temporary divider panel, like the iCrate. This will cater to the dog’s natural instinct of having a safe resting place.
- Quality: You get what you pay for when it comes to dog crates. If you are looking for a crate for confinement, metal wireframe designs work best. They are almost impossible to break out of. On the other hand, if it’s short trips to the vet or the groomer, soft cages, like the Noz2Noz or the EliteField work best. While choosing between hard and soft cages, please consider the temperament of your dog. If your pet is a chewer, then stick to hardwire cages at all times. Soft cages work best for well-behaved dogs.
- Price: You don’t necessarily have to buy a dog crate that costs an arm and a leg. It is quite possible to get a great deal on a dog crate, especially if you buy online rather than scout big box, brick and mortar pet stores for crates on sale. Check our budget-priced pick, the AmazonBasics dog crate in this list.
For now, here’s a list of the best dog crates in the market currently.
How they’re used
Understanding how dog crates are used will allow you to get a much better understanding of what kind you need.
There are dog crates that are specifically designed for certain functions such as ones that are reinforced for travel, but for the most part, you can use the same one for everything. In fact, it is probably better if you do because your dog will be used to it and will not mind getting into it. Let’s look at three different ways that dog crates are used.
- Train: the first way that dog crates are used is in training.
- Contain: this goes right along with training. For example, if you just want your dog to stay out of the way for a while and have the safety of a place that he or she feels comfortable.
- Transport: finally, dog crates are often used for transport.
Choosing the Perfect Size
The first thing that you’ll need to do is choose the perfect size dog crate for your dog. How do you do this? There are some pretty easy ways to determine exactly the right size.
You want to measure the height of your dog – which is the area from the ground to your dog’s highest point at the top of his head – the width of your dog – which is the measurement of your dog from shoulder to shoulder – and the length of your dog – which is the measurement of your dog from nose to tail.
Before we get into the actual sizes in relation to crate sizes, be aware that if your dog is still growing then you should choose a little larger crate than is necessary. Some people get crates that are a lot bigger than necessary, but this is not always a good idea. Your dog is not going to feel confined in his crate if he has enough room to turn around easily. In fact, depending upon your dog, they may actually feel more secure in smaller crates that fit him perfectly.
24L X 18W x 21H: if your dog is no more than these measurements, then what you are looking for is an extra small crate. Extra small crates are intended for dogs that are between a single pound and all the way up to 10 pounds.
24L x 18W x 21H: the next size up is the small crate. Small crates are for dogs the way between 11 pounds and 25 pounds.
30L x 21W x 24H: the next size up is the medium crate. Medium crates are for dogs the way between 26 pounds and 40 pounds.
36L x 24W x 27H: the next size up is going to be the large crates. These are for dogs that are between 41 pounds and 70 pounds.
42L x 28W x 31H: extra-large crates are going to be perfect for dogs that are between 71 pounds and 90 pounds. Of course.
46L x 30W x 33H: finally, dogs that are 90 pounds and up are going to fit best in the double XL crates.
One of the most common types of dog crates is the plastic dog crate. These are usually enclosed on all sides except one, where there is a wireframe door that opens and closes, with ventilation holes so that your pet will have plenty of air.
There is also the entirely wireframe model, which is easy to see through but may not give your pet the same security that a plastic crate does. The thing that you have to remember is the wire crates can vary considerably from one model to another when it comes to the quality of the wire. You definitely do not want to get cheap wire crates, not only because they do not secure your dog properly, but also because the wire can come loose and injure your pet.
Finally, there are travel crates that are specifically intended for travel. These are usually reinforced and made to be strong enough to hold your pet and keep them secure whether you are on a plane, in a car or taking some other form of transportation.
The Bottom Line
Go with our top choice. It’s what my dog uses. You’ll love it.
- Best Dog House
- Best Dog Playpen
- Best Small Dog Crate
- Best Large Dog Crate
- Best Heavy Duty Dog Crate
- Best Outdoor Dog Kennel
- Best Vacuum for Dog Hair
- Best Dog Bed
- Best Dog Bowl
- Best Automatic Dog Feeder
- Best Dog Seat Belt
- Best Dog Car Seat Cover
- Best Dog Crate Mat
- Best Dog Collar
- Best Dog Harness
- Best GPS Tracker for Dogs
- Best Interactive Dog Toys
- Best Dog Puzzle Toys
- Best Dog Bowl
- Best Dog Food Container
- Best Dog Gate
- Best Elevated Dog Bed
- Best Portable Dog Crates
- Best Dog Crate Bed
- Best Stackable Dog Crate