I have done the research and picked the top five recommended products for your pup to use. Below each item will be a description and three features the food has going for it.
Best Dog Foods for Afghan Hounds
Here are our Afghan Hound dog food reviews.
The Purina Pro Plan Dog Food is made from the best quality of animal sourced protein, making it great for dog breeds such as Afghans. The food is made with natural prebiotics to help boost your dog’s immune system. With a twenty six percent protein and twelve percent fat ratio, this food is great for bigger breeds of dog.
- Made from animal sourced protein for best quality
- Natural prebiotics are used to boost immune systems
- Combination of fat and protein percentages help your dog’s daily health
The Iams Large Breed Dog Food is ideal for breeds such as Afghans, Dobermen, and Mastiffs. The main ingredient is real chicken to give the food the best animal sourced protein possible. Iams specifically designed this food for bigger breeds of dog and all their joint, muscle and digestive needs.
- Ideal for Afghans, Dobermen and Mastiff breeds or other big breeds
- Real chicken offers great animal source proteins for your dog’s health
- Specifically designed for big dogs, food helps joint, muscles and digestion
The Diamond Naturals Large Breed Dog Food is made with cage free chicken as the first ingredient to offer good quality protein, great for Afghans. The food contains no corn, wheat, artificial flavors, preservatives, or filler for a healthy dog food. All ingredients are picked for the best digestion and the highest possible nutrients in your dog’s food.
- Cage free chickens are first ingredient, great for protein
- No harmful ingredients or additives for your dog’s health
- Ingredients are great for digestion and nutrients in food
The Blue Buffalo Wilderness Dog Food is made for larger breeds of dog, making it great for Afghans and similar breeds, as well as being packed with protein. The Blue Buffalo Wilderness food is made completely grain free for dogs with sensitive stomachs. All ingredients are natural, reducing risk of negative reactions.
- Made for large breeds, packed with protein
- Completely grain free for allergies or sensitive stomachs
- All natural ingredients for the highest quality of dog food
The Holistic Select is made with large breeds such as Afghans in mind, packed with protein and other vital nutrients in every bowlful. This food is great for pups with digestive problems, the ingredients are specially picked for digestive support. All ingredients are natural for the best possible quality.
- Made for large breeds with high amounts of good quality protein
- Perfect food for digestive problems as ingredients are carefully chosen to help
- All natural dog food to lower risk of allergic reactions
Afghan Hound Dog Food Buying Guide
Now that you have seen some of the options available to you, I will go on to explain some of the terms you may see when shopping for your dog’s food. Before we get into that, when buying your dog’s food always be sure to check the fine print of the ingredients lists as some brands of dog food are known for hiding the less savory ingredients there. If your dog has allergies that is doubly important to reduce risk of allergic reaction.
A holistic dog food means that all ingredients used in it are balanced for your pet’s health.To better explain why this is a nice feature, if your dog food is out of balance there can be many side affects from having too much or not enough of one vitamin or another. Stomach issues are the most common but there are others as well.
All natural dog foods are great for dogs who have many allergies or simply have sensitive stomachs, the natural ingredients lowers risk for negative reactions in dogs. Processed dog food or artificial ingredients can cause digestive problems.
When you see Hypoallergenic in dog food it merely means that the ingredients are picked for dogs with allergies. Each ingredient is less likely, or completely not likely in some cases, than average to set off an allergic reaction. This is great for dogs who are sensitive to multiple ingredients.
The limited ingredient is another type of dog food that is great for dogs with sensitive stomachs or allergies as there is usually only six ingredients or less. You can find the list of ingredients on the bag and know exactly what goes into them for your pup’s safety and health.
No Additives or Preservatives
Many dog foods have harmful by products, preservatives and additives. When buying your dog’s food it is important that you thoroughly check through the ingredients list for these.
No Soy, Wheat, or Grain
This topic confuses many pet owners when they read about soy, wheat and grain free foods. After all these foods aren’t unhealthy for us and in some ways they are a necessity in our diet, so why should we not put them in our dog’s diet? The reason is because while the ingredients aren’t bad, they can be hard on sensitive stomach. Some dogs also have allergies to the above, which makes these foods ideal.
- Best Dog Food
- Best Dry Dog Food
- Best Wet Dog Food
- Best Senior Dog Food
- Best Dog Food for Sensitive Stomachs
- Best Dog Food for Allergies
- Best Afghan Hound Essentials, Accessories, and Toys
- Best Puppy Food for Afghan Hounds
- Best Dog Crate for Afghan Hounds
- Best Dog Bed for Afghan Hounds
- Best Dog Brush for Afghan Hounds
- Best Dog Toys for Afghan Hounds
- Best Dog Collar for Afghan Hounds
- Best Dog Harness for Afghan Hounds
- Best Dog Muzzle for Afghan Hounds
- Best Dog Shampoo for Afghan Hounds
- Best Training Book for Afghan Hounds