Given the fact that many canines do suffer from food allergies, a lot of dog food brands create limited ingredient recipes that aim to reduce allergens and ease the side effects that are associated with food allergies. But, with so many choices on the market, it can be hard to decide what the best dog food for allergies is.
Based on our findings, we’ve selected what we consider to be the top five limited ingredient dog food options.
Best Dog Foods For Allergies
Typically, sensitive skin and tummy troubles are the manifestations of food allergies in dogs. If your pooch has allergies and is experiencing both stomach and skin problems, Purina Pro Plan Focus Sensitive Skin and Stomach Dry Dog Food is a great choice. This dry dog food contains limited ingredients to reduce food allergens and ease sensitive skin and stomachs.
Corn, wheat, and soy are some of the most common ingredients that canines are allergic to; not only can they cause skin problems, but they are also difficult to digest and can lead to digestive issues. Since this formula contains absolutely no corn, wheat, or soy and instead features natural carbohydrates that are easy to digest, like barley and ground rice, it’s considered a dog food for sensitive stomachs.
Real salmon is the primary source of protein in this formula. Salmon is rich in amino acids and helps to build strong muscles, but since it has lower amount of salmon than other types of dog food that also feature this ingredient, it’s considered a low protein dog food. The fact that it contains salmon instead of chicken, which is another known allergen for dogs, further enhances the effectiveness of this formula for combating allergies.
It’s also infused with essential vitamins and minerals, like Vitamin K, vitamin B, zinc, potassium, and copper, to offer well-balanced nutrition. And since it contains glucosamine, it further supports joint health and can help to prevent joint issues in dogs that are predisposed to these problems, like Great Danes, Dachshunds, Boxers, and Mastiffs.
What We Like About It
- Specifically formulated to reduce the side effects of allergies
- Contains real salmon
- Has a reduced protein content
- Infused with prebiotics and probiotics to improve digestion
- Free of corn, wheat, and soy
- Contains poultry byproducts, artificial flavors, or colors
- Most reviewers said that the product did wonders for their dogs’ allergies
Reasons to Complain
- Some customers said that they were not pleased with the quality of the bags when they received them
- Others have said that they think the formula is different than what they purchase in the pet store
Final Verdict: Purina dog food is one of the most trusted brands on the market. Their Pro Plan Focus Sensitive Skin and Stomach Adult Dry Dog Food formula offers premium ingredients and is formulated to reduce allergies and ease sensitive skin and tummies.
If your furry pal is suffering from skin issues as a result of food allergens, PS for Dogs 100% Hypoallergenic Dog Food just might be the solution that you – and your pooch – are looking for! This formula has a low glycemic index, which helps to reduce yeast growth on the skin that can lead to redness, bumps, irritations, itching, and foul smells.
This formula contains absolutely no corn, wheat, or soy, which many dogs are allergic toy, making it a grain free dog food. It’s also packed with protein, as it features human-grade New Zealand lamb as one of the first ingredients, so you can rest assured that your pet will be getting a premium quality protein that he needs to develop healthy muscles and maintain the health of his skin and coat.
This formula is also packed with other wholesome ingredients and infused with essential vitamins and minerals to ensure your canine companion is receiving the very best nutrition possible while reducing his allergies. Since the kibble is air-dried, the morsels are meaty, tender, easy to chew, and very palatable.
In fact, most pet owners who have used this product say that their dogs’ love the taste! Made in the USA and backed by a satisfaction guarantee, you can rest assured that your pet will be eating the best food when you feed him PS for Dogs 100% Hypoallergenic Dog Food.
What We Like About It
- Has a low glycemic index to reduce skin irritations that are related to allergies
- Human grade lamb is the primary source of protein
- Completely free of grains
- Contains no artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives
- Infused with essential vitamins and minerals
- Made for all life stages, making it a senior dog food, and a food for puppies, too
- Backed by a Satisfaction Guarantee
- Made in the USA
Reasons to Complain
- Some users complained about the size of the bag
- Others said that the cost was high
Final Verdict: For a high quality dog food for allergies, PS for Dogs 100% Hypoallergenic Dog Food is a great choice. This food is specially formulated to reduce skin irritations and other side effects of allergies, and most pet owners say that their dogs love the flavor. However, do note that the bag is on the smaller side, so keep this in mind when ordering.View on Amazon
If you’re looking for a natural dog food to reduce allergies in your adult breed, AvoDerm Natural Dog Food for Adults is an excellent option to consider. Made with all natural ingredients that are easy to digest and nourish the skin, you can rest assured that your pooch will get the nutrition that he needs while reducing the side effects of the allergies he is suffering from.
What sets this formula apart from others is that it contains avocados. While avocados are technically a fruit, they are a fantastic source of protein and they are easy to digest. They’re also packed with other essential nutrients, including fiber, vitamins A, C, E, B6, and essential fatty acids.
In other words, they promote the development of lean muscle mass and help to nourish the skin and coat; plus, dogs love the flavor. Other premium ingredients include grown brown rice and oatmeal, which are easy to digest carbohydrates, tomato, and pineapple.
This formula is also infused with a wealth of essential nutrients to ensure your pup is receiving well-balanced nutrition. Overall, pet owners report that they are very pleased with the product and that their pets love the flavor.
What We Like About It
- Made with real California avocados
- Crafted for adult dogs of all breeds and sizes
- Completely grain free
- Contains no artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives
- Infused with vital nutrients
- Easy to digest
Reasons to Complain
- Some pet owners say that they believe this food contributed to gas issues
- Others said that they didn’t see an improvement in the condition of their dogs’ skin
Final Verdict: AvoDerm Natural Dog Food for Adults is specially formulated to reduce allergies in adult dogs of all breeds and sizes. It feature real avocados, which is an unusual, yet healthy ingredient found in dog food, and most pet owners say that they have seen a positive outcome after feeding their dogs’ this food.
Many pet owners trust Wellness dog food, as it contains the best possible ingredients to offer complete nutrition for their dogs. Their Simple Natural Limited Ingredient Dry Dog Food is specifically formulated to reduce allergies, as it is a limited ingredient recipe. In other words, it contains fewer ingredients for canines that have food sensitivities, allergies, or intolerances.
This formula features a single source of protein, which is derived from real salmon, helps to reduce allergies while offering essential nutrients, like amino acids, Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids, and protein. Easy to digest carbohydrates, like potatoes, will keep your pet energized and ease any stomach issues that he may be having.
It’s also infused with probiotics and prebiotics to further improve digestive health and ease tummy troubles. The addition of flaxseed helps to nourish the skin and coat, and the infusion of essential vitamins and minerals ensure that your pup receives optimal nutrition.
What We Like About It
- Completely grain free
- Made with a single source of protein
- Easy to digest
- Contains probiotics and prebiotics
- Backed by a satisfaction guarantee
- The majority of pet owners say that they are very pleased with the results
Reasons to Complain
- Some pet owners said that their dogs didn’t seem to like the flavor
- Others said that the formula has been changed
Final Verdict: If your dog is suffering from food allergies, Wellness Simple Natural Limited Ingredient Dry Dog Food is specifically made to help reduce allergic reactions that are associated with certain foods. It contains all natural ingredients and most pet parents say that they found that it offers positive results.
The last hypoallergenic dog food on our list comes from Blue Buffalo. Blue Buffalo dog food is highly regarded for their use of all natural, nutrient dense recipes that are specifically formulated to meet the unique nutritional needs of all pets. Their Basics Limited Ingredient Diet Natural Adult Dry Dog Food offers only the simplest ingredients to reduce allergic reactions in dogs.
Like all Blue Buffalo formulas, the first ingredient is real protein, which, in this formula, is sourced from deboned turkey. Turkey is an excellent source of protein, as it is easy to digest and contains the vital nutrients that canines need to build lean muscle mass and support healthy joints. Other ingredients include natural, easy to digest carbohydrates, like peas, potatoes, and pumpkin, to give your adult pup the energy he needs.
It’s also free of chicken, beef, corn, wheat, soy, eggs, and dairy, which are allergens for many dogs. It’s easy to digest, so it can help to settle stomach woes, and it will also nourish your furry pal’s skin and coat.
This dry dog food from Blue Buffalo is also infused with Life Source Bits, an ingredient that is exclusive to Blue Buffalo products. These bits are made by animal nutritionists and veterinarians and contain a precise blend of antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals that dogs need to thrive.
What We Like About It
- Features real deboned turkey as the first ingredient
- This limited ingredient formula is free of corn, eggs, wheat, soy, milk, chicken, and beef; known allergens in dogs
- Contains easy to carbohydrates, such as potatoes, peas, and pumpkin
- Infused with essential vitamins, minerals, and nutrients
Reasons to Complain
- The cost is a bit on the high side
- Some pet parents say that they didn’t notice an improvement in their dogs’ sensitive stomachs
Final Verdict: For adult dogs that suffer from food allergies, Blue Buffalo Basics Limited Ingredient Diet Grain Free Natural Adult Dry Dog Food is a fantastic choice. This limited ingredient recipe features premium quality ingredients and no foods that dogs are known to be allergic to.
American Journey Salmon & Sweet Potato Recipe Grain-Free Dry Dog Food is nutritionally complete food that avoids common allergens. It is created with real salmon, vegetables, and antioxidants. It is made with beneficial Omega fatty acids, for the health of the brain, eyes, skin, and coat.
- Grain-free food that is also free of added corn, wheat, and soy.
- High-protein food with real salmon for healthy lean muscle.
- Includes fiber rich chickpeas and sweet potatoes for lasting energy and healthy digestion.
The Natural Balance L.I.D. Limited Ingredient Diets Dry Dog Food is a great option for allergy symptom relief by limiting ingredients. It is formulated around a diet stemming from a single protein source. Includes natural fiber blend for healthy digestion.
- Grain free formula contains no artificial flavoring or coloring.
- Real chicken is the primary ingredient, and supports healthy muscles.
- Contains easily digestible carbohydrates like sweet potatoes.
Rachael Ray Nutrish Just 6 Limited Ingredient Diet Dry Dog Food is a great food based around simplicity. It features a central protein with easily digestible carbohydrates and wholesome fiber. It never contains any by-product meal or artificial flavors or preservatives.
- Lamb is the first ingredient, along with brown rice, ground rice, and dried beet pulp.
- High quality ingredients like chicken, beef, and fish, along with real vegetables.
- A portion of each sales goes to the Rachael Ray Foundation for animals in need.
Tylee’s Human-Grade Beef Recipe Frozen Dog Food provides complete nutrition with real, whole ingredients. Real meat is combined with fruits and vegetables and then frozen, so mealtime is easy. It contains no filler or artificial flavors or colors.
- USDA beef, plus sweet potatoes, mango, plus fiber and nutrient rich broccoli, spinach, and zucchini.
- Flaxseed and sunflower oil provide omega-3 and 6.
- All natural ingredients are easy on sensitive stomachs.
Merrick Grain-Free Texas Beef & Sweet Potato Recipe Dry Dog Food is top quality, allergy-friendly nutrition. Grain-free recipe is centered around beef, sweet potatoes, and fruit. It is supplemented with glucosamine and chondroitin for joint health.
- High levels of omega 3 and 6 for healthy skin and a shiny coat.
- Poultry free formulation is ideal for sensitive stomachs.
- Made in the USA from locally-sourced ingredients.
Wellness CORE Grain-Free Original Deboned Turkey, Turkey Meal & Chicken Meal Recipe Dry Dog Food provides wholesome nutrition without many of the common allergens that cause issues. High protein, grain free formula sources the protein from real chicken and turkey. It excludes by-products, wheat, soy, corn, and artificial flavors, colors and preservatives.
- Includes added glucosamine and chondroitin for healthy mobility.
- Omega-3 fatty acids support healthy skin and coat.
- Nutrient dense kibble is coated with probiotics for good digestion.
The Crave Grain Free Adult Dry Dog Food is good for all breeds and sizes of dogs. Created with 34% protein from the first ingredient listed. It is free of any by-products or preservatives.
- No corn, wheat, or soy-derived protein.
- Inspired by the high protein diets of wolves.
- Made from real salmon and ocean fish.
Zignature Turkey Limited Ingredient Formula Grain-Free Dry Dog Food provides wholesome nutrition with natural midwestern ingredients. This formulation is made with a single protein source, and only a few additional ingredients. It excludes common allergens like corn, wheat, soy, and potatoes, for a hypoallergenic and low glycemic meal.
- Made with farm raised turkey from the american midwest.
- Primary protein is low in saturated fat and rich in selenium.
- Great taste will engage even picky eaters.
ACANA Dog Protein Rich, Real Meat, Grain Free, Adult Dry Dog Food is a high-protein complete nourishment for your dog. It is free of grains, gluten, potato, and tapioca. Made in Kentucky from rich, regional ingredients.
- Available in four sizes, from 4.5 pounds up to 25.
- Crafted from whole, quality animal ingredients.
- Nutrient-dense formulations that include beef, pork, or lamb.
Wellness Simple Natural Grain Free Dry Limited Ingredient Dog Food is a great option for allergen free nourishment. It is specifically formulated for dogs with sensitivities or allergies. Made with as few ingredients needed for complete nutrition.
- Single protein design keeps protein as the first ingredient.
- Always uses easily digestible carbohydrates.
- Added probiotics and prebiotics.
The Instinct Limited Ingredient Diet is formulated for simplicity with 1 protein and 1 vegetable. Designed for dogs with allergies or sensitivities. Every piece of kibble is coated in a raw food layer that is then freeze dried.
- Each piece of kibble is coated in freeze dried raw food for increased nutrition and taste.
- Flavors are designed around 1 protein and 1 vegetable.
- Made in small batches to retain attention to quality.
The Castor & Pollux Organix Grain Free Organic Chicken & Sweet Potato Recipe Dry Dog Food is a delicious option for allergen free dog food. It is made with organic, free-range chicken, along with a superfood blend. It is free of any chemical pesticides, preservatives, hormones, or synthetic fertilizers.
- First ingredient listed is free-range, organic chicken.
- Cooked in an Organically Certified USA Kitchen.
- Encourages reduction of allergies, itchy skin, and digestion issues.
“I and love and you” Lovingly Simple Dry Dog Food is designed to provide optimal nutrition to those dogs with sensitive stomachs or grain allergies. No grains, instead they’ve included chickpeas, pea protein and sweet potatoes. Real meat is always the first ingredient.
- Added flax seeds and fish oil for healthy skin and coats.
- Poultry and beef free formula to reduce stomach irritation.
- No by-product meals, wheat, rice, soy, or corn.
Nulo Puppy & Adult Small Breed Freestyle Limited Plus Grain Free Dry Dog Food is made without the most common allergens, to be allergy friendly to your dog. Formulated with probiotics to help sensitive stomachs digest food better. High protein and low carb formula provides all needed nutrition.
- Available in 3 sizes, from 4 pound to 22 pound.
- Recipes are sourced from a single main protein.
- Includes GanedenBC30 probiotics.
ORIJEN Fit & Trim is a premium, high-protein, grain-free dog food. It is formulated with 85% quality animal ingredients, Made in the USA from fresh regional ingredients from trusted sources.
- Created from fresh or raw ingredients in their most nourishing form.
- Utilizes meat, organs, cartilage, and bone.
- Nourishment is formulated according to dogs biological needs.
Only Natural Pet MaxMeat Air-Dried Lamb & Cod Grain-Free Dog Food is a unique, complete nutrition option. Formulated in a jerky-style, it can be used as a meal or as training treats. Includes pumpkin for added digestion assistance.
- Made with 90% real meat from cod and lamb.
- Provides daily nutrition in less volume.
- Allergy friendly formula contains no grain, corn, or soy.
Brothers Complete Lamb & Egg Advanced Allergy Formula combines digestive enzymes and pre- and probiotics. Protein is more than 90% animal derived. Formulation is free from waste, high protein blend reduces skin reactions and yeast.
- The most abundant ingredients in this recipe are lamb meal, whole egg, and turkey meal.
- Addition of egg adds all 22 amino acids.
- Eliminated common allergens like grain and potatoes.
Blackwood Pet Sensitive Skin and Stomach Dog Food is a great tasting option for dogs with sensitive stomachs. It is formulated with everything needed for a nutritionally complete food with minimal allergens. Added pre- and probiotics help encourage tummy health.
- Family owned, and made in the USA in small batches.
- Dry dog food is slow cooked with all natural primary ingredients.
- Available in bags up to 30 pounds.
Lucy Pet Products Formulas For Life Duck, Pumpkin & Quinoa Formula Grain-Free Dry Dog Food is a wholesome and delicious way to provide complete nourishment with minimal allergies. It contains no by-products or artificial ingredients. Utilizes potato-free carbs like chickpeas, and prebiotics and pumpkin for aiding digestion.
- Balanced and complete nutrition for all life stages.
- Blend of superfood supports healthy immune system.
- Duck is the first ingredient and packs the food full of protein.
Weruva Caloric Melody Chicken Dinner with Lentils Grain-Free Dry Dog Food is delicious food that is gentle on your dogs stomach. It utilizes protein as the main coloric source, and adds seaweed and pumpkin for digestion. The high quality ingredients keep even picky pets interested.
- Free of potatoes and grains, reducing allergens.
- Fish oil keeps skin and coat healthy.
- No artificial flavors or preservatives and a low glycemic index for diabetic pets.
The Authority Grain-Free Chicken & Pea Formula Adult Dry Dog Food is a high-quality nutritional food that reduces allergens. It is made with chicken and natural fiber for healthy digestion. Formulated with Ora-Shield to promote healthy dentition as well.
- Blends antioxidants for a healthy immune system.
- Contains additional Omega fatty acids for healthy skin and coat.
- Made in the USA with no artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives.
Hill’s Prescription Diet Z/D Canine Small Bites Dog Food is created to avoid most sensitivities. Specifically targets skin and coat issues from adverse reactions. It was developed by nutritionists and vets.
- Boasts a 30 day timeline for visible improvement in the skin and coat.
- It has been shown to normalize stool.
- Safe from adverse urinary effects.
The Brothers Complete Dog Food is a complete nutritional option for your dog. It includes eggs, which contain all 23 amino acids. Encapsulated probiotics deliver live, beneficial flora to your dog’s stomach.
- Enzymatic action helps to break down food and increase nutrient uptake.
- Naturally preserved without chemical additives.
- Comes with all 23 amino acids, including the 9 “essential” acids.
Hypoallergenic Dog Food Buyers’ Guide
If you think that your four legged family member is suffering from food allergies, filling his dog bowl with food that is specifically formulated to reduce allergies can significantly improve his health and reduce his sensitivities. But, before you switch out the formula that’s in your dog food container, you want to make sure that you choose a high quality food option that will actually offer positive results.
As we mentioned, a lot of manufacturers are now making limited ingredient and/or hypoallergenic recipes that are intended to reduce allergies. While there are a lot of dog foods for allergies to choose from, not all of them are created equal. Just because a label says that it’s hypoallergenic doesn’t meant that it really is.
Before you decide to switch your pet’s food to a hypoallergenic formula, make sure you do your due diligence. After all, his health and well being is your top priority, and the food he eats plays a huge role in his overall health and happiness. In this portion of our guide, we answer some questions you might have about allergen free dog food so that you can make a well-informed decision for the furriest member of your family.
Signs of Food Allergies
Dogs, like humans, can be allergic to a number of things in their environment; however, canine allergies are most commonly linked to food. How can you tell if your pup is suffering from food allergies? Here are some signs that he might be allergic to certain ingredients:
- Paw biting and licking
- Excessively dry, flaking skin
- Extreme itching
- Excessive hair loss; he might have bald patches, for example
- Rashes on the skin
- Hot spots
- Chronic ear infections
- Gastrointestinal issues; nausea, vomiting, constipation, flatulence, diarrhea
- Bottom scratching
If your pooch is exhibiting any of these symptoms, there’s a good chance that food allergies are to blame. However, do make sure that you have your vet conduct a comprehensive physical examination to determine if, in fact, food allergies are to blame. These symptoms can also be associated with other health issues, so you want to make sure that the cause is accurately diagnosed to ensure your pet is receiving the right treatment.
Common Food Allergens in Dogs
Also like humans, canines can be allergic to any type of food. However, researchers have determined that dogs are most likely to be allergic to the following ingredients:
Of course, artificial ingredients can also cause adverse reactions and aggravate allergies.
Other Things to Consider
If your pup is exhibiting any of the aforementioned signs of food allergies and it has been determined that he is, in fact, sensitive to certain foods, switching his diet to a premium quality dog food that is specifically formulated for dogs with allergies can help relieve his allergies and improve his comfort and health.
To ensure you are feeding your canine companion the best dog food for allergies, make sure you read the labels before you choose a formula and pay attention to the ingredients. A superior hypoallergenic dog food will feature the following:
- Limited ingredients. Dog food recipes that are made with limited ingredients are the best for food allergies. Since they are only derived of a handful of select ingredients, there’s less of a chance that your pet will experience a reaction. Why? – Because it’s easier to keep tabs on what your pet is eating.
- Grain free. The best dog food recipes for allergies are free of grains like soy, wheat, and corn. These are known allergens in dogs, and they are also difficult to digest, further compounding the symptoms that are associated with allergies.
- Premium protein. Make sure that the label clearly indicated what type of protein the food is made of; and, ensure that the protein source isn’t one that it is believed your pet is allergic to. For instance, if your vet thinks your dog is allergic to beef, look for a beef-free formula.
- No additives. Artificial colors, flavors, preservatives, and fillers are unhealthy for dogs that don’t suffer from allergies, so imagine what they will do to dogs that do have sensitivities? Steer clear of foods that contain additives to avoid serious side effects.
Dog Allergy Food Review Conclusion
Learning that your pet has food allergies is upsetting, to say the least. However, feeding him the best hypoallergenic dog food can help to alleviate the symptoms that he is experiencing and improve his overall health and well being. All of the recipes featured in our review are made from premium ingredients and are specifically formulated for canines that suffer from food sensitivities.
Your goal, as a pet parent, is to ensure that you are offering your four-legged family member the best care possible. You offer him a tasty dog treat for positive reinforcement, fit him with a comfortable dog harness for those daily walks, provide him with plenty of interactive dog toys to keep him entertained, and make sure that he has the coziest, most supportive dog bed so he can get a restful sleep. In other words, you go above and beyond to make sure that he is as contented as possible.