If you own an American Foxhound you may have come across the struggle of finding the perfect dog food for your pooch. American Foxhounds need enhanced protein, fiber, fat, vitamins and minerals in their food while having none of the artificial ingredients many dog food companies use. At the bottom of the article I will go further in depth as to what ingredients you should keep an eye out for in your dog’s food and what each one is good for.
Below are the top five recommended dog foods for American Foxhounds with a short summary of the product.
Best Dog Food for American Foxhounds
Here are our American Foxhound dog food reviews.
The Blue Buffalo Wilderness Dog Food is made to be completely grain free for your American Foxhound’s sensitive stomach. All the ingredients are natural to lower the risk of your dog having an allergic reaction. With real chicken as the main ingredient, this food is packed with animal source protein for your pup.
- Grain free for sensitive stomachs or dogs with allergies
- All natural dog food lowers risk of allergic reactions
- Real chicken gives the food an animal source of protein
The Pedigree Complete Nutrition Dog Food is made with roasted chicken, rice and vegetables for a healthy food for your American Foxhound. The chicken gives animal based protein, while the rice and vegetables give fiber and various nutrients your pup needs. With antioxidants and a special fiber blend, this food is an all around healthy dog food.
- Roasted chicken, rice and vegetables give great vitamins and nutrients
- Protein, fiber, minerals and vitamins are all heavy in this food
- Antioxidants and fiber make it easy to digest for dogs with sensitive stomachs
The Canidae Pure Dry Dog Food is made completely grain free for your American Foxhound’s sensitive stomach. With salmon as the main ingredient, this food gives great animal sourced protein in every bowl full. Extra probiotics are mixed in with every kibble to boost your dog’s various health systems.
- Grain free for allergies or sensitive stomachs
- Main ingredient is protein rich salmon, great for muscle growth
- Probiotics are added into each kibble for boosted health
The ORIJEN Dry Dog Food is made completely grain free for your American Foxhound with a sensitive stomach or allergies. All ingredients used are made real and healthy, no artificial flavoring or preservatives. This food is massively packed with protein, eighty five percent of the food is quality animal ingredients.
- Grain free is great for dogs with allergies or sensitive stomachs
- All natural dog food lowers the risk of allergic reactions in your pup
- Nutrient dense food, protein in mass amounts
The Purina One Smart Blend Dry Dog Food is made with the highest quality of protein, with real chicken as the main ingredient, for your American Foxhound. The kibbles are meaty and nutrient dense, making for a great all around daily dog diet. The ingredients are picked to be highly digestible for your pup.
- Real chicken makes for the highest protein in the dog food
- Kibbles contain mass amounts of nutrients that your dog needs to stay strong
- All ingredients are picked for their various health benefits
American Foxhound Dog Food Buying Guide
As you can see from the above product summaries, there are many different dog foods for you to pick from and they all have their own bonuses. These are only five of the thousands that are out there. When choosing a dog food it is vital that you know what you do and do not want in their food. If your dog is allergic to any one ingredient, then it is even more important for you to thoroughly read the ingredients list on every food you plan on buying. Below I will go over the various ingredients you should look for that boost your American Foxhound’s protein, fiber and vitamins that they need.
Protein is one of the most important nutrients in your dog’s diet, it gives them energy to run and play while also boosting their muscles and joints. However, just because a dog food says it is high protein doesn’t always mean it is. The ingredients to look for are the various meats. Lamb, beef, chicken and even fish are high in protein so the higher the meat percentage is in the food, the healthier it is. Eggs are another great source of protein, as is wheat.
While most people see products with high fiber on them, they rarely check the ingredients list to actually verify that it is what it claims to be. Here are the ingredients to look for in real high fiber dog foods. Wheatgerm, Flaxseed, Carrots, Broccoli, Kale, Kelp, Pumpkin, Apples and Beans. All of the above are great ingredients for any fiber rich diet and the more you see on the list, the better it is.
This category is a massive one that would take its own article to completely go through so instead I will go over the most common ingredients used for high vitamin dog foods. Carrots, sweet potatoes and eggs are a great source of Vitamin A. While Brown Rice, green vegetables and beans are an excellent source of Vitamin B. Your dog gets most of its Vitamin C from fruits in the food, but always keep in mind which ingredients are toxic for dogs.
There are many bad ingredients in dog foods that most don’t know about, but I will be going over some of them now. The gluten from corn and wheat are both solid no’s, if you see them in the list immediately about face and walk away. The meals from grain and meat are another one to avoid, as they are only the leftovers of the meat and not the actual healthy portions. Food dyes are common and definitely not healthy, so if you see them avoid that food. There are many other ingredients such as these but it would take me an entire article to list them so I will leave this here.
- Best Dog Food
- Best Dry Dog Food
- Best Wet Dog Food
- Best Senior Dog Food
- Best Dog Food for Sensitive Stomachs
- Best Dog Food for Allergies
- Best American Foxhound Essentials, Accessories, and Toys
- Best Accessories for American Foxhounds
- Best Puppy Food for American Foxhounds
- Best Dog Crate for American Foxhounds
- Best Dog Bed for American Foxhounds
- Best Dog Brush for American Foxhounds
- Best Dog Toys for American Foxhounds
- Best Dog Collar for American Foxhounds
- Best Dog Harness for American Foxhounds
- Best Dog Muzzle for American Foxhounds
- Best Dog Shampoo for American Foxhounds
- Best Training Book for American Foxhounds