The following buying guide provides an overview of five of the top dog foods to help you decide how to best sate the appetite of your Belgian Malinois.
Best Dog Foods for Belgian Malinois
Here are our Belgian Malinois dog food reviews.
Original Dog Food by Orijen comes packaged in four convenient bag sizes ranging in weight from 12 ounces to 25 pounds. The brand utilizes 85% whole animal ingredients, including meat, cartilage, and bone. This grain-free product advertises a “biologically appropriate” formula designed for the high-protein demanding Belgian Malinois’ dietary needs.
- Original Dog Food by Orijen is appropriate for all life stages of Belgian Malinois.
- Orijen utilizes fresh ingredients provided regionally to its DogStar kitchen in Kentucky.
- Orijen also offers Regional Red and Six Fish varieties of dog food.
Freeze-Dried Raw Dinner Patties by Stella & Chewy’s consist of 95% grass-fed all-natural beef, along with organic fruits and vegetables, with minimal processing. The product boasts convenience “natural state” ingredients. Stella & Chewy’s also commits to responsible ingredient sourcing.
- Freeze-Dried Raw Dinner Patties by Stella & Chewy’s boasts added taurine and the absence of fillers, antibiotics, and hormones.
- This dog food promotes immune system health and has allergy-sensitive properties.
- Stella and Chewy’s nutritional content meets the high-protein and amino acid requirements of the Belgian Malinois.
Natural Dry Dog Food Large Breed Dog Food by Eagle Pack offers a specific high-protein blend with larger kibble for large dogs such as the Belgian Malinois. The balanced formula consists of all-natural ingredients, including chicken, fish, and whole grains. This dog food includes high omega fatty acids but no artificial flavors or preservatives.
- Eagle Pack improves the Belgian Malinois’ muscle tone and flavor through a dual protein formula.
- This dog food also incorporates healthy supplements, including glucosamine hydrochloride for joint health, and flaxseed for a shiny coat.
- Antioxidants provide much needed immune support to improve the health of the Belgian Malinois.
Raw Boost Grain Free Recipe Dry Dog Food by Instinct combines its high protein dry dog food with freeze-dried raw, natural chicken pieces to produce a tasty blend for the Belgian Malinois. All fruits and vegetables used are non-GMO. Cage-free chicken tops the ingredient list.
- Raw Boost by Instinct includes probiotics to promote Belgian Malinois’ digestive health.
- Omegas address sensitive skin and provide a shiny coat.
- Raw Boost is gluten-free.
Grain Free High Protein Adult Dry Dog Food by Crave contains Omega-rich salmon and other fish with no preservatives, corn, soy, or artificial flavorings. Crave claims to base its recipe after a wolf’s diet. This diet includes fresh, high-quality protein and natural carbohydrates to provide the Belgian Malinois long-lasting energy.
- Grain Free High Protein Adult Dry Dog Food contains no chicken by-products.
- Added vitamins and minerals promote digestive health.
- The Omega-rich formula addresses sensitive skin issues that may plague the Belgian Malinois.
Belgian Malinois Dog Food Buying Guide
Choosing a dog food for your Belgian Malinois requires a close examination of the ingredients to ensure the brand and formula you select has a high protein content and high-quality ingredients.
The Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO) is a voluntary organization that regulates the content of animal food. You can validate that the brand you choose meets AAFCO standards before purchasing to ensure quality. The AAFCO also provides lists of recommended dog food brands.
To support the health and energy needs of the Belgian Malinois, you must consider protein content and type, other ingredients, preparation, and supplements.
The Belgian Malinois requires a diet high in protein. When selecting a dog food, buyers should aim for 38% protein content. Chicken and beef provide tasty options; however, salmon and other ocean fish also offer the Belgian Malinois much needed Omega fatty acids for healthy skin and a shiny coat.
In addition to protein content, protein type is equally important. Many companies cut costs by substituting vegetable-based proteins; however, the Belgian Malinois requires meat-based protein for optimal health and performance. Meat should always be the first ingredient.
Non-protein ingredients should include fresh fruit and vegetables as well as grain-free carbohydrates. Soy, corn, and wheat may provide energy, but it is short-lived and cannot sustain the high-performance demands of the Belgian Malinois. Long-lasting, whole-food energy will better sate this dog’s appetite.
Buyers should also ensure an absence of animal by-products, artificial coloring and flavoring, and preservatives.
Though ingredients are a priority, buyers should also ensure those ingredients come from responsible sources. Brands advertising local and national sourcing and production guarantee a higher standard of quality. Consumers should avoid products sourced from countries without animal food production standards, as recalls are common and can lead to contaminants inadvertently introduced into your Belgian Malinois’ diet.
Several brands increase their protein allotment by including freeze-dried raw meat. Raw meat offers the highest nutrition and caloric benefit. This diet also aligns most closely with the Belgian Malinois’ ancestral diet.
The Belgian Malinois can benefit from a variety of supplements added to food for health benefits. Buyers should look for brands rich in omegas and amino acids for digestive and immune system support as well as healthy skin and coat. Also, vitamins and minerals that support joint health can address the Belgian Malinois’ predilection for hip dysplasia. These supplements include flaxseed and glucosamine hydrochloride.
- Best Dog Food
- Best Dry Dog Food
- Best Wet Dog Food
- Best Senior Dog Food
- Best Dog Food for Sensitive Stomachs
- Best Dog Food for Allergies
- Best Puppy Food for Belgian Malinois
- Best Dog Crate for Belgian Malinois
- Best Dog Bed for Belgian Malinois
- Best Dog Brush for Belgian Malinois
- Best Dog Toys for Belgian Malinois
- Best Dog Collar for Belgian Malinois
- Best Dog Harness for Belgian Malinois
- Best Dog Muzzle for Belgian Malinois
- Best Dog Shampoo for Belgian Malinois