Choosing the right food is one of the most important things we can do for our canine companions. For the Bichon Frise, this is of particular importance, given the small stature and possibility of musculoskeletal problems with a nutritionally incomplete diet. Our dogs are devoted to us, so it is our duty to choose the best food to allow them to live their best life.
In our guide, we’ll take a look at the best foods available for the Bichon Frise, and what makes each one special or unique. In the end, our buyer’s guide will help simplify food selection and empower you to provide the best possible nutrition for you and your Bichon’s needs.
Best Dog Foods For Bichon Frise
Here are our Bichon Frise dog food reviews.
Blue Buffalo Wilderness High Protein Natural Puppy Food is a protein-rich food designed for Bichon Frise puppies. It is created with real chicken and contains LifeSource Bits which add additional antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals. Designed for puppies, the small kibble size is perfect for them.
- Packed with protein and healthy fats for plenty of puppy energy
- Includes DHA and ARA, fatty acids found in mother’s milk
- Available in three sizes, 4.5-pound, 11-pound, and 24-pound
Taste of The Wild Grain Free High Protein Dry Dog Food Appalachian Valley Small Breed is a great high protein food. It is formulated with real venison as the primary ingredient for lean, strong muscles. The grain-free formulation features garbanzo beans as a healthy carbohydrate and fiber source.
- Added superfood fruits and vegetables for quality antioxidants.
- Highly digestible with proprietary probiotics that thrive in the canine GI tract
- Available three sizes, 5-pound, 14-pound, and 28-pound
Instinct Raw Boost Small Breed & Toy Breed Grain Free Recipe Natural Dry Dog Food is created with freeze-dried raw chicken for unaltered high-quality protein. It is made without grain, potato, corn, soy, wheat, meals, byproducts or artificial colors.
- Processed as little as possible to maintain raw nutrition
- Includes non-GMO fruits and vegetables
- Available in a 4-pound and a 10-pound size
Castor & Pollux Organix Grain Free Organic Small Breed Recipe Recipe Dry Dog Food is formulated around the main ingredient of organic free-range chicken. It is supplemented with organic flaxseed, blueberries, and coconut oil.
- Added probiotics and prebiotic fiber to promote healthy digestion
- Made with at least 95% certified organic ingredients, and cooked in an organically certified kitchen in the USA
- Available in a 4-pound and a 10-pound size
Halo Natural Dry Dog Food, Small Breed Chicken & Chicken Liver Recipe is centered around whole chicken, not rendered meal or by-products. Designed for small breeds the smaller, more nutrient-dense kibble fits better with the smaller mouths, shorter digestive tracts, and higher metabolism. In addition to whole chicken, it includes chicken liver, healthy grains, and non-GMO vegetables.
- Additional fatty acids to promote healthy skin and coat
- Highly digestible, allowing more nutrients to become bioavailable to your Bichon
- Halo brand supports farmers and ranchers that practice sustainability, responsible husbandry, and shun GMO feeds
Nulo Small Breed Grain Free Dry Dog Food is a high protein low carb formula dog food. The grain-free formula uses no corn, wheat, soy, tapioca, or white potatoes. It is designed to promote proper chewing, digestion, and less choking buy using miscanthus grass as a natural fiber source to satisfy the ravenous small breed appetite.
- Includes ingredients with low glycemic indices like lentils, chickpeas, and sweet potato
- Patented BC30 probiotic supports healthy gut flora to assist small stomachs fully digest their meals
- Available in 4.5-pound and 11-pound sizes
Wellness Simple Natural Limited Ingredient Dry Dog Food Small Breed is a great food for Bichons that have allergies or food sensitivities. It is formulated simply and with as few ingredients as possible while still providing the optimal nutrition for your dog. It contains all-natural ingredients salmon and potatoes, with no gluten, grains, fillers, or artificial additives.
- Small kibble size is perfect for the smaller mouths and digestive tracts of a Bichon Frise
- Added flaxseed for healthy skin, and probiotics and prebiotics for enhanced digestion
- Available in 4.5-pound and 10.5-pound sizes
Whole Earth Farms Grain Free Small Breed Recipe is a poultry-based dry food for small breeds like Bichons. Formulated with real chicken and turkey, with added vitamins and minerals. The all-natural recipe contains no corn, wheat, soy, by-products, or artificial colors or preservatives.
- Includes vegetables and fruits to enhance nutrition and support overall health
- Formulated for all life stages
- Cooked in the USA from the best wholesome ingredients.
CANIDAE Grain Free Pure Petite Small Breed Raw Coated Dry Dog Food is a limited ingredient adult food. Utilizing real lamb as the first ingredient, it is then coated with freeze-dried lamb as well for ultimate taste and nutrition. It contains healthy digestive aids like peas, lentils, and garbanzo beans for optimal absorption of the nutrients.
- It contains only 8 key ingredients, and never contains corn, wheat, or soy.
- Small kibble size is ideal for the Bichons smaller mouth and digestive tract
- Available in 4-pound and 10-pound sizes
Wellness Core Natural Grain Free Dry Dog Food Small Breed Puppy is a completely balanced and grain-free dry food for your young Bichon. It is formulated with only premium, all-natural ingredients, with optimal levels of protein and healthy fats. Designed with multiple protein sources for the best taste nutrition.
- The Core recipe contains only natural and non-GMO ingredients
- Added DHA for healthy brain and eye development
- Available and 4-pound and 12-pound sizes
Bichon Frise Dog Food Buyer’s Guide
When choosing a food for your Bichon Frise, it is important to consider your dog’s possible sensitivities or allergies, and which stage of their life they are currently in.
First and foremost, when choosing a food, you should take into account and food or ingredient allergies they have. Some Bichons have sensitivities to poultry, chicken in particular. If this is the case with your furry friend, you should make sure that the options you evaluate exclude poultry from the protein sources. There are several foods that utilize lamb, venison, beef, or other proteins that would best suit a dog in this situation. Another possible sensitivity would be to grains. Luckily, there are many grain-free options available. They take special steps to make sure there are no shortfalls in nutrition as they include other carbohydrates and fiber sources that are not sourced from grains.
The other important factor to consider during food selection is your dog’s stage of life. Puppies have specific nutritional requirements, as do adults and seniors. There are several foods that we’ve highlighted that are specifically formulated for juvenile Bichons, they contain a higher caloric content per feeding, as well as appropriate protein and fat content to support their growing bodies and muscular demands. Adult foods and senior foods are often quite similar. Several of the foods we’ve covered are suitable for all life stages or adults and seniors. These foods will have protein and fat content that will support maintaining lean muscle mass and healthy body fat levels. Once your Bichon reaches the senior stage of life, their metabolism tends to slow down a bit, so to compensate, you can simply feed them slightly less, to avoid putting on excess weight as they advance in age.
Dog Food For Bichon Frise Review Conclusion
We hope our guide has helped you decide what food will best suit your Bichon Frise. As long as you take into account their allergies, nutritional needs, and their age, you will be well equipped to choose the best food to keep them healthy for many years.
- Best Dog Food
- Best Dry Dog Food
- Best Wet Dog Food
- Best Senior Dog Food
- Best Dog Food for Sensitive Stomachs
- Best Dog Food for Allergies
- Best Dog Crate for Bichon Frise
- Best Dog Bed for Bichon Frise
- Best Dog Brush for Bichon Frise
- Best Dog Toys for Bichon Frise
- Best Dog Collar for Bichon Frise
- Best Dog Harness for Bichon Frise
- Best Dog Muzzle for Bichon Frise
- Best Dog Shampoo for Bichon Frise