The best diet will be high in protein to help support and develop muscles and enough fat to ensure high levels of energy. Bloodhounds do have a few dietary restrictions. Because they may be prone to being overweight and suffer from allergic reactions to unnecessary ingredients, it is important to feed your Bloodhound a diet that lacks excess fillers and refrain from too many treats.
Best Dog Foods for Bloodhounds
Here are our Bloodhound dog food reviews.
Purina Pro Plan Adult Dry dog food is formulated to meet all the nutritional needs for your Bloodhound. This formula has 26 percent protein and 12 percent fat in every serving, which helps your Bloodhound maintain ideal weight and body condition. Purina Pro Plan is made for dogs at least 50 pounds and over.
- Purina contains EPA, an omega 3 fatty acid, and glucosamine to help support joint health and mobility.
- This formula contains natural prebiotic fiber, sourced from wheat bran, helps promote digestive health.
- Purina Pro Plan features meat as the first ingredient.
Blue Buffalo Wilderness is made of unique nutrition made for your Bloodhound’s natural love for meat. This formula contains BLUE’s exclusive LifeSource Bits, which is a precise blend of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals carefully selected by holistic veterinarians. It also features healthy fruits and vegetables.
- Blue Buffalo contains omega 3 and 6 fatty acids to support skin and coat health.
- This formula never contains chicken by-product meals, corn, wheat, soy, artificial flavors or preservatives.
- Blue Buffalo is made of healthy carbohydrates including sweet potatoes and peas perfect for your Bloodhound.
Simply Perfection is a natural dog food that is sourced from local ingredients to the dog food makers. In fact, the ingredients are sourced from trusted farmers and local suppliers to Simply Perfection. Real meat is the first ingredient to provide total nutrition for the Bloodhound.
- Simply Perfection is completely grain-free, with no wheat or corn or soy.
- This formula contains omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids for a proper coat.
- Simply Perfection also features protein fiber for healthy digestion.
Canidae Pure prides itself on having simple ingredients for wholesome nutrition for your Bloodhound. In fact, this formula is limited to 10 ingredients. This grain free is specifically created to meet the highest standards of food for your Bloodhound.
- There are probiotics added to every kibble after cooking to support healthy digestion.
- Omega 6 and 3 fatty acids to support beautiful skin and coat.
- These simple, whole-food recipes are made in Canidae’s Texas facility.
Instinct is made with raw ingredients meant to be the most natural formula for your dog. This grain free formula is also made without fillers and artificial flavors. Instinct tumbes raw food into every kibble.
- Instinct Original dry dog food is made with 70% real animal ingredients and nutritious oils.
- USA raised beef is the #1 ingredient in this formula.
- This formula is also minimally processed.
Bloodhound Dog Food Buying Guide
To maintain the health of your Bloodhound, keep his mind sharp, his muscles lean and his energy high, it is imperative to feed your Bloodhound a diet rich in nutrition. The Bloodhound is well known for his hunting and tracking capabilities, and is considered a master of smell. This is a large breed and requires an adequate diet to support his frame and prevent common injuries or health issues found in Bloodhounds, like weak joints and obesity. The diet should be appropriate to the age of your Bloodhound, as the Bloodhound may require additional supplements based on their stage of life. In this case, if you are looking for the right food for your adult or senior Bloodhound, there are a few factors you should consider in the purchase of the proper food.
Minimally processed with meat as the first ingredient
Just as in a human diet, you should feed your Bloodhound a diet that is minimally processed with simple ingredients. In addition, look for kibble and wet dog food that features meat as the first ingredient. Some kibble, like Instinct, adds raw food into every bite of kibble and has USA raised beef as the primary ingredient. Whether you are in the store or online, look at the ingredients in the formula. If meat is not the primary ingredient, it’s best to move on.
Free from toxins like artificial colors and preservatives
Artificial colors, flavors and preservatives have no business being on your Bloodhound’s food. Formulas that are high in these may actually cause injury to your Bloodhound. Provide your Bloodhound with a diet that is flavored only naturally. Introducing added chemicals may irritate your Bloodhound’s skin or coat, causing allergic reactions and itching.
Grain free and free from poultry by product and fillers like corn and soy
Bloodhounds are excellent tracking dogs, but a diet that is filled with by products and fillers will zap them of their energy and zest. Dog formulas, like Canidae, limit their dog food to only four ingredients. Added grain does nothing but add to the dog food bulk, while filling your dog on junk and potentially exposing them to a lack of nutrients.
Some of the best dog foods for your Bloodhound will also feature ingredients of added minerals that support the overall health of your Bloodhound. This is important because the Bloodhound is a very large dog and may require additional nutritional support to keep it’s joints and muscles healthy. Simply Perfection dog food, for example, features added Omega 3 and 6 oils for a healthy coat and muscles.
- Best Dog Food
- Best Dry Dog Food
- Best Wet Dog Food
- Best Senior Dog Food
- Best Dog Food for Sensitive Stomachs
- Best Dog Food for Allergies
- Best Puppy Food for Bloodhounds
- Best Dog Crate for Bloodhounds
- Best Dog Bed for Bloodhounds
- Best Dog Brush for Bloodhounds
- Best Dog Toys for Bloodhounds
- Best Dog Collar for Bloodhounds
- Best Dog Harness for Bloodhounds
- Best Dog Muzzle for Bloodhounds
- Best Dog Shampoo for Bloodhounds