Do you own a Chihuahua and wonder what type of dog food is the best for them, giving the necessary nutrients they need on a daily basis? Well when looking to buy any dog food you should be sure to check the ingredients list, some brands will slip unsavory ingredients into the fine print. The next most important thing to do is be sure your dog has no allergies or food sensitivities, as these can cause unnecessary discomfort for your pup.
After thorough research I have compiled the top five recommended dog foods for Chihuahua’s with a short item description under each product.
Best Dog Food for Chihuahuas
Here are our Chihuahua dog food reviews.
The Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Dog Food is made with chicken and brown rice to give your Chihuahua the necessary animal protein it needs. The recipe is made for small breed dogs, packed with the right amount of nutrients in each bowl full. All ingredients used are natural for a safe and healthy dog food.
- Chicken and Brown Rice is used for animal sourced protein
- Made for small breed dogs, has all the vitamins and nutrients they need
- All natural dog food is safe and healthy for your Chihuahua
The Wellness CORE Natural Dog Food is made completely grain free for Chihuahuas with sensitive stomachs or allergies. The food contains no wheat, corn, soy, by products, or artificial flavors. The recipe is designed for small or toy breeds and is packed with the nutrients they need daily.
- Grain free food is great for dogs with allergies or sensitive stomachs
- No wheat, soy, corn, by products or artificial flavors are used in the food
- Designed for small breeds, gives all the vitamins they need
The Hill’s Science Diet Dog Food is made with only the best ingredients, and fewer of them, to ensure your Chihuahua’s health and nutrition. With boosted prebiotic fiber, this food gives your Chihuahua’s digestive health extra support. The nutrients and vitamins are all balanced and chosen with little dogs and their needs in mind.
- All high quality ingredients are used for a healthy dog food
- Prebiotic fiber gives a boost to your Chihuahua’s digestion
- Vitamins are balanced and made specifically for small breeds
The Instinct Chicken Natural Dog Food is completely grain free for your Chihuahua with a sensitive stomach or allergies. Real chicken is the main ingredient for an animal source of protein, giving the food a high quality protein. The food is made with fresh and raw ingredients to ensure a safe and healthy dog food.
- Grain free for dogs with allergies or sensitive stomachs
- Real chicken gives animal sourced protein, high quality protein in food
- Fresh and raw ingredients for a natural and safe dog food
The Castor & Pollux Natural Dog Food is made with the highest quality of organic ingredients to ensure a healthy food for your Chihuahua. Real chicken is the main ingredient, giving a quality animal sourced protein to your dog’s food. The food is made with no chemicals, hormones or artificial flavors.
- All Organic and high quality ingredients are used
- Real chicken gives the food an animal protein source
- No chemicals, hormones or artificial flavors for a safe dog food
Chihuahua Dog Food Buyer’s Guide
As you can see from the above, there are many types of foods out there for you to choose from and they all have their own features that make them a good choice. Below I will go into the various types of food and the bonuses each of them have for your Chihuahua’s health.
Hypoallergenic is a term used for any product that is designed to help with allergies. In the case of dog beds, hypoallergenic means they are made with materials that repel dust mites or other irritants. In dog food’s case though, it means all ingredients that are used in that food were picked for their lower chance of setting off an allergic reaction in your Chihuahua. This is an excellent food type for dogs with allergies or just sensitive stomachs.
Limited ingredient dog food is exactly what it sounds like. Generally for a dog food to be labeled limited ingredient there are less than eight ingredients total, but I have seen them go up to ten before. The nice thing about limited ingredient dog food is that it is easy for you to look at the list of ingredients present and decide if your dog will like it. If your dog has allergies or a sensitive stomach to certain foods this dog food is even nicer.
This term confuses many pet owners. Grain is a must have in most people’s diets, so if it is so vital in our diet why is it such a big thing for the brand to have a grain free dog food? The answer is simple, dogs have allergies just like humans do. Sometimes they don’t have a full allergy, but a sensitive stomach. Grian can be heavier on the stomach than other things and as such a grain free dog food can be a bonus.
Soy, Wheat and Corn Free
Soy, Wheat and Corn Free dog foods have a similar reason behind it to the above Grain free. These three ingredients can be heavier on your Chihuahua’s stomach therefore there are foods that take them out.
Animal Sourced Protein
The reason animal sourced protein is so important is because you can get protein from certain plants, but you can’t change out all of the meat in a dog’s diet with those proteins because their diet demands the meat proteins specifically. Eliminating meat from a dog’s diet will make them sick, do not do this.
- Best Dog Food
- Best Dry Dog Food
- Best Wet Dog Food
- Best Senior Dog Food
- Best Dog Food for Sensitive Stomachs
- Best Dog Food for Allergies
- Best Dog Crates for Chihuahuas
- Best Dog Brush for Chihuahuas
- Best Dog Bed for Chihuahuas
- Best Dog Collar for Chihuahuas
- Best Dog Toys for Chihuahuas
- Best Dog Harness for Chihuahuas
- Best Dog Muzzle for Chihuahuas
- Dog Shampoo for Chihuahuas