Selecting the right food for your pet is an important decision to make when becoming a dog owner. If you own a designer dog like a Chiweenie, you may be wondering if there is a particular type of food needed. Chiweenies are small in stature and have hearty little appetites, so it’s important to choose a dog food with optimal nutrition levels.
Below you can find the top five dog foods for Chiweenies to ensure you make the best choice for your pet.
Best Dog Foods for Chiweenies
Here are our Chiweenie dog food reviews.
Hill’s Science Diet Dry Dog Food is a premium, small-kibble dog food designed for small breeds like the Chiweenie. Recommended by veterinarians, Hill’s Science Diet contains no artificial preservatives or flavors. Each small bite is made of chicken meal and barley.
- Precise nutrition for less active dogs.
- Omega-6 fatty acids and Vitamin E promote healthy hair.
- Antioxidants are clinically proven to support a healthy immune system.
Nutro Wholesome Essentials Natural Small Bites Dog Food is a nutritional dog food made from non-GMO ingredients including farm-raised chicken, brown rice, and sweet potatoes. This balanced dog food is natural in flavor that dogs love without artificial ingredients and fillers. Healthy digestion is a guarantee with the food’s natural fibers.
- Chicken, a natural protein, is the first ingredient used to promote strong muscles.
- Available in 5 lb, 15 lb, and 30 lb bags.
- 100% satisfaction is guaranteed.
Lamb meal and bison meal are the proteins used to create Earthborn Holistic Great Plains Feast. Each holistic bite contains wholesome fruits and vegetables. Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids support your Chiweenie’s immune system.
- L-Carnitine amino acids maintain lean muscles while burning fat.
- This product is grain and gluten-free.
- Earthborn Holistic is partnered with TerraCycle to make each bag recyclable..
Cesar Small Breed Dry Dog Food is made with real meats and spring vegetables in every formula. Your Chiweenie’s health will be supported by 26 nutrients specially developed for small breeds. Its crunchy kibble promotes strong teeth and gums.
- Food comes in three flavors.
- Each bag has a resealable zipper to guarantee freshness.
- A convenient feeding guide allows you to find the perfect meal size for dogs up to 30 pounds.
Your Chiweenie will love the protein-rich recipe in Blue Buffalo Wilderness High Protein Grain Free Natural Dry Dog Food. This small kibble dog food promotes a healthy diet for small dogs. Blue Buffalo Wilderness is created with antioxidants that support a dog’s immune system.
- Each bag features the finest natural ingredients.
- A healthy blend of protein, fat, and complex carbohydrates assures your dog is getting the right nutrients.
- Small-bite kibble has reduced fat calories.
Chiweenie Dog Food Buying Guide
Buying the right dog food for your Chiweenie demands an understanding of the nutritional requirements needed for this unique breed. This designer hybrid breed is small with a fast metabolism. A diet rich in calories will best meet the energy level of the Chiweenie as you contemplate the food that is best for your dog.
Size and Age
Puppies eat more frequently than older dogs and require a dog food high in calories. As your Chiweenie grows older, it requires slightly less protein and fat, but always consider the ratio of protein to fat. You want your dog to gain muscle mass but not fat.
By the time your dog reaches about 7 years old, expect its metabolism to slow down. This is where weight gain becomes an even bigger risk. You may be able to scale the portion you are feeding your Chiweenie unless you want to switch to dog food that contains a low-fat recipe.
As a mix of a Chihuahua and a Dachshund, your Chiweenie is likely to inherit health problems associated with either breed including diabetes, hypoglycemia, and disc disease. Its small body is predisposed to muscular-skeletal issues as well. Try to find foods that are high in protein to aid in digestion, and low in grains or grain-free to support the Chiweenie’s bones and joints.
Another thing to keep in mind regarding cost is the ingredients found in dog food. Maybe you are willing to pay more for specific ingredients or formulas that promise specific health benefits for your dog. Dog foods with added fillers may be cheaper at the checkout, but consider what the preservatives might do to your dog’s overall health.
Look for a dog food that lists meat and proteins, as the first ingredients rather than meat by-product. Proteins should be listed by name. Dog food made from byproducts likely has hidden and hard to pronounce ingredients. The more protein listed in a recipe, the more nutrient-rich the dog food is. You will want a dog food that is high in the specific vitamins and minerals a small dog needs.
When analyzing various dog food formulas, look for natural preservatives. Natural preservatives are safe and healthy for your pet while artificial preservatives are not. The best dog food for your Chiweenie should contain lean protein ingredients, healthy fats, and complex carbohydrates that are easy to digest.
- Best Dog Food
- Best Dry Dog Food
- Best Wet Dog Food
- Best Senior Dog Food
- Best Dog Food for Sensitive Stomachs
- Best Dog Food for Allergies
- Best Puppy Food for Chiweenies
- Best Dog Crate for Chiweenies
- Best Dog Bed for Chiweenies
- Best Dog Brush for Chiweenies
- Best Dog Toys for Chiweenies
- Best Dog Collar for Chiweenies
- Best Dog Harness for Chiweenies
- Best Dog Muzzle for Chiweenies
- Best Dog Shampoo for Chiweenies