Your beloved Dalmatian is a unique breed with unique dietary requirements. At first, it may seem like a lot of special considerations, but finding a high-quality dog food for your pup doesn’t need to be stressful. In general, look for brands with a lower protein content derived from lean low-puring sources such as fish and poultry. This will support his urinary system, which is top priority for this pup’s diet. A quality blend will round out and balance what he needs with what he loves to eat.
Best Dog Food for Dalmatians
Here are our dog food for Dalmatians reviews.
The Dr John Silver Dry Dog Food recipe has the perfect balance of protein and fat for your Dalmatian’s specific needs. This tasty chicken and vegetable recipe also supports his bones, joints and teeth.
- Low in purine-rich ingredients
- Protein level is 18%, oil and fat content 6%
- Bite-sized kibble basted in chicken juices
Diamond Naturals Light provides a quality source of lean protein with this lamb and rice recipe, while still maintaining the low-fat needs of your Dalmatian. This blend has special probiotics that survive in the GI tract for excellent digestion.
- Superfood fruits and veggies for antioxidants
- Essential fatty acids for healthy skin and coat
- No corn, wheat, filler or artificial preservatives
Hill’s Science Diet Urinary Track Health dog food recipe has a lower protein content to help prevent the formation of urinary stones in your Dalmatian. This chicken recipe has added antioxidants to support a healthy immune system.
- Added vitamins and minerals for balanced nutrition
- Low sodium to maintain blood pressure
- Reduced levels of magnesium and phosphorous
This Royal Canin Veterinary Diet helps reduce the concentration of the minerals that cause urinary stones. This blend also contains essential omega-3 fatty acids to help fight infection and inflammation.
- Controlled amounts of magnesium and phosphorous
- Enriched with vitamins, minerals and other nutrients
- Contains compounds to dissolve struvite urinary stones
Blue Buffalo Natural Veterinary Diet Kidney Support is a special recipe designed to maintain your Dalmatian’s urinary tract health and prevent stones from forming. This grain-free blend is enriched with added nutrients for your Dalmatian’s overall health.
- Contains LifeSource Bits, a proprietary mix of vitamins and minerals
- Low calcium, phosphorus and sodium for kidney heatlh
- Contains L-Carnitine, omega-3 fatty acids and antioxidants
Dog Food for Dalmatians Buyer’s Guide
Choosing the right dog food for your Dalmatian is very important because this breed has very specific nutritional requirements to keep him energized and healthy. You will need to do some research and check with your vet to ensure he is getting everything he needs from his diet. The biggest concern is the formation of urinary stones, a problem specific to this breed because of the way he produces urine. Unlike most dog breeds, Dalmatians need a food that is lower in protein and high-purine ingredients. Finding a great food will help your Dalmatian live a long and healthy life, full of the vitality and spunk you love.
Our buying guide reviews the best dog food for Dalmatians on the market so you can choose the right food for your dog. The following should be considered for your Dalmatian’s specific needs and are included on most premium dog food recipes.
A diet that has a higher pH, (meaning more alkaline – between 6.5 to 7) is best for your Dalmatian. You can achieve this by choosing a recipe with fewer acidic ingredients such as beef, pork or corn gluten. Most importantly, feed your Dalmatian a diet lower in protein and purine content. A food with 18 percent protein content will support his energy needs, protect his heart and liver but still prevent urinary issues. Great protein and nutrition sources include fish, poultry, fruit, vegetables, cheese and potatoes. Avoid recipes that contain wild game, offal and organs. Always make sure your Dalmatian drinks lots of water, to help pass the crystals that could later develop into stones.
Other Health Considerations
A Dalmatian’s temperament can vary, and some say their diet plays a part in their personality. Some studies show a diet that is lower in protein and higher in omega 3s can help reduce anxiety and aggression – this is alongside a well-developed training regimen, of course. Avoid high fat diets as Dalmatians are prone to bloat. Dalmatians are known for their beautiful coat, so a recipe with adequate amounts of omega 6 and 3s will help maintain its silky sheen. Finally, Dalmatians can develop skin allergies. These are primarily from airborne allergens, but it will make his skin sensitive. Choose a recipe with skin nourishing ingredients, such as vitamin E. A well-balanced dog food will have adequate amounts of other vitamins and minerals to support joint, bone, heart and immune systems as well.
- Best Dog Food
- Best Dry Dog Food
- Best Wet Dog Food
- Best Senior Dog Food
- Best Dog Food for Sensitive Stomachs
- Best Dog Food for Allergies
- Best Puppy Food for Dalmatians
- Best Dog Crate for Dalmatians
- Best Dog Bed for Dalmatians
- Best Dog Brush for Dalmatians
- Best Dog Toys for Dalmatians
- Best Dog Collar for Dalmatians
- Best Dog Harness for Dalmatians
- Best Dog Muzzle for Dalmatians
- Best Dog Shampoo for Dalmatians
- Best Training Book for Dalmatians