The Havanese is a bright, happy and outgoing dog breed who make loyal companions and funny performers! The Havenese are an extremely versatile dog; they can thrive in cities just as well as in wide spaces. These adorable dogs are also eager to learn tricks and have often been featured in circus acts for many years. Havanese should be fed high-quality dog food appropriate to the age of the dog, from puppy to senior. Because Havanese can be prone to becoming overweight, dog food without added fillers is most appropriate. Read on to discover our favorite dog food formulas for the Havanese.
Best Dog Food for Havanese
Here are our Havanese dog food reviews.
Weruva Grain-Free wet dog food takes canned food to a new level. Made of high-quality chicken and grass fed beef, Weruva meat is shredded and packed by hand. Free from any fillers and minimally processed, Weruva contains no grain, gluten, Gmos, Msgs or carrageenan.
- Minimally processed and free of grain, gluten, Gmos, Msgs and carrageenan.
- Made with cage-free chicken breast and grass-fed beef, all meats are shredded and hand packed.
- Weruva is hand packed in human food facilities under the strictest B.R.C global standards for foods.
Honest Kitchen free-range chicken dog food is made with highly concentrated, easily digestible ingredients for maximum nutrition. This dog food is actually dehydrated and will require warm water to make a delicious meal. A ten pound box actually makes 40 pounds of food!
- Honest Kitchen is made with free-range chicken and dehydrated for easier digestibility.
- The Honest Kitchen meets the rigorous FDA safety standards to use the label ‘human grade.’
- This dog food is made with no by-products, preservatives or GMO ingredients
Purina Pro Plan Bright Mind is a carefully crafted recipe made specifically for senior dogs. This dog food uses high-quality protein, including chicken as the first ingredient. And, the addition of botanical oils, omega-3 fatty acid and essential vitamins and minerals, Pro Plan Bright Mind is a complete meal..
- The recipe features enhanced botanical oils that have been shown to promote alertness and mental sharpness in dogs ages 7+.
- Pro Plan adds EPA, an omega-3 fatty acid, and glucosamine to help support joint health and mobility.
- The 29% protein and 14% fat recipe blend helps maintain lean muscles and support an ideal body condition
Cesar Gourmet wet dog food features meat as the first ingredient. The small trays feature a freshness seal that makes storage a breeze. Cesar Gourmet is proudly made in the USA.
- chicken is the first ingredient of only six ingredients.
- This gourmet wet food is served in convenient trays with easy, peel-away seals.
- Made in the USA with globally sourced ingredients.
Purina SmartBlend were specifically formulated to meet your puppy’s unique needs. The recipes are developed to feature real beef, chicken or salmon. This puppy dog food is designed to provide 100% complete and balanced nutrition.
- Real chicken is the #1 ingredient.
- Purina One contains DHA, a nutrient found in mother’s milk that supports vision and brain development.
- This formula also contains easily digestible rice and oatmeal.
Havanese Dog Food Buying Guide
The Havanese are friendly dogs that love to perform and are loyal to their owners. Havanese will benefit from a high-quality diet that keeps their mind sharp and body healthy.
Wet and dry
The Havenese benefit from a natural diet and will do well with dry dog food, but wet dog food can provide an extra treat. Wet dog food might with a range of healthy ingredients might be a superb choice for more senior dogs who have dental issues.
Wet dog food has more moisture than dry dog food and can help your Havanese stay hydrated and prevent UTIs. This type of food may be more appealing to senior dogs and picky eaters. As with any dog food, look for wet dog food with limited fillers and high quality protein.
Dry dog food has the advantage of keeping up your Havanese’s oral health. Chewing dry kibble can reduce tartar and plaque in your dog’s mouth and keep gums healthy. As an added bonus, dry kibble will keep your Havanese breath fresher!
Meat as the primary protein source
Look for dog foods that feature meat as the primary source. An added bonus is to look for dog foods that can source where their meat comes from and a dog food formula that features free range or organic meat is an extra treat for your dog’s health. But remember, the second and third ingredients are equally important. Even if meat is the first ingredient, it could be that it is made up of mostly water source. So always ensure that your dog food has high quality secondary and tertiary ingredients, as well.
Whole grains, no fillers
Less nutritious dog foods will feature fillers in their food, like corn meal. Research your dog food and read the labels. Dog food formulas with less ingredients are generally the more high-quality food.
No added fillers, artificial flavors, preservatives.
Some dog foods will minimize the lean protein and fill dog food with fillers, such as corn or wheat. In addition, try to avoid products that have artificial flavors or preservatives. Dog foods that eliminate these will list them in their advertisements, but it’s always important to look at the ingredient list. Generally speaking, dog foods that are more natural will be less likely to contain these by products. But, it is always important to research and to read the fine print.