Have you bought or are considering buying a Maltese and wonder what dog food is the best for their unique dietary and nutrition needs? Well look no further, there are thousands of different dog food brands out there for you to choose from and that can make it difficult for you to pick one. When buying dog food for your Maltese you need to remember that protein is one of the most important vitamins for them, meaning you need a dog food that has animal sourced meat ingredients.
While foods with healthy fruits and vegetables are also a plus, meat must be a main ingredients as well for a good dog food for your pup. Below are the top five recommended dog foods for Maltese with a short product description under each one. Three features of the food will be listed underneath that to give you an idea of why you would want that particular food.
Best Dog Foods for Maltese
Here are our Maltese dog food reviews.
The Taste of the Wild Appalachian Valley Dry Dog Food is made with real venison as the first ingredient, making it a perfect food packed with protein for your Maltese. It is made with no corn, wheat, grain or filler for dogs with sensitive stomachs. With high quality ingredients, this food is made to be easily digestible.
- Real venison makes for a great animal sourced protein heavy dog food
- No potentially harmful additives, or ingredients likely to set off allergic reactions
- Food is digestible and made with highest quality of ingredients
The Wellness Simple Dry Dog Food is made with limited ingredients, making it great for Maltese who have allergies to certain food types. With salmon as the main ingredient, this food is packed with protein for your pup. All the ingredients used are natural for the safest and healthiest dog food available.
- Limited ingredient food is great for dogs with allergies
- Salmon offers great animal sourced protein
- All natural food is safer and healthier than other brands
The Whole Earth Farms Dry Dog Food is made from all natural ingredients, making it safer and healthier for your Maltese. The food is grain, wheat, corn, by product, and artificial ingredient free for great dog food. Chicken and turkey combine to give the food multiple protein sources, making it great for dogs with high metabolisms.
- All ingredients are natural, safer and healthier than other brands
- Food has no potentially harmful ingredients, safer for your dogs daily diet
- Multiple animal sourced protein for the food, great for high metabolisms
The Canidae Pure Dry Dog Food is made with freeze dried, raw salmon coating each kibble for your Maltese’s health. The food is made with limited ingredients for your pups with allergies or sensitive stomachs. The kibbles are made smaller to lower the risk of choking with smaller breeds of dog.
- Freeze dried salmon gives kibbles the animal sourced protein they need
- Limited ingredient dog foods are great for allergies or sensitivities
- Smaller kibbles to lower choking hazard and make it easy on smaller breeds to eat
The Instinct Small Breed Dry Dog Food is completely grain free for your Maltese with a sensitive stomach or allergies. The food is made from all natural ingredients to ensure a safe and healthy dog food. Every kibble is coated with raw ingredients that give extra protein and is minimally processed.
- Grain free for dogs with allergies or food sensitivities
- All natural food for a safer and healthier dog food
- Raw coated kibbles for high protein and less processed than other ingredients
Maltese Dog Food Buyer’s Guide
As you can see from the five options above, there are many different types of dog food for you to choose from. They all have various features that make them stand out amongst other dog foods. Before I go on to explain the differences and what each term means, I will remind all pet owners that when buying a dog food you must always look at the ingredients list. Some brands will sneak in harmful or less savory ingredients into the list, so you must be vigilant for your furry friend’s safety. If your Maltese has an allergy it is even more important to carefully scan the list to avoid unfortunate accidents.
Human Grade dog food is exactly what it sounds like. This is food that has been tested and proven to be of the highest quality that even humans could consume it. It is rare to find food of this caliber, but they are out there.
Holistic dog food means that all the vitamins and nutrients are balanced while the amounts meet your dog’s daily nutrients needs. This may not sound like much, but consider what happens to the human body when we are low on one vital nutrient. There is a variety of different effects with some being more severe than others. The same goes for your dog, they have a minimum amount of vitamins they need to stay healthy and Holistic dog food is great for that.
The term hypoallergenic is used for any product that is made with to reduce allergies and their side effects. In the case of dog beds, if the bed is labeled hypoallergenic it means that it is made from material that repels dust mites and other irritants. In the case of dog food, it means the ingredients used are picked for being least likely to cause an allergic reaction in your Maltese.
Limited Ingredient dog food is what it sounds like. Generally if a food is labeled limited ingredient it has less than six total ingredients in it, but sometimes they go as far up as ten. The reason this is a nice feature is because if your Maltese is allergic to something, you can browse through the ingredients list and know if that food will work or not.
- Best Dog Food
- Best Dry Dog Food
- Best Wet Dog Food
- Best Senior Dog Food
- Best Dog Food for Sensitive Stomachs
- Best Dog Food for Allergies
- Best Dog Crate for Maltese
- Best Dog Bed for Maltese
- Best Dog Brush for Maltese
- Best Dog Toys for Maltese
- Best Dog Collar for Maltese
- Best Dog Harness for Maltese
- Best Dog Muzzle for Maltese
- Best Dog Shampoo for Maltese