Otterhounds are active large dogs whom you can use for hunting trips. They are even great as companions due to their natural loyalty towards their masters. If you wish to keep your Otterhound happy and dedicated towards his purpose, you have to feed him with an adequate meal.
We know that the presence of multiple dog foods in the market confuses you. We decided to make your life easier by enlightening you with our valuable reviews. We encourage that you read them ahead, as that will make your life way more comfortable.
Best Dog Foods for Otterhounds
Here are our dog foods for Otterhounds reviews.
This Blue Buffalo Wilderness Large Breed Dog Food is specifically formulated for those dogs which belong to the large breed category. You will find a generally bred variant in this version as well, but this one is primarily for your dogs like your Otterhound so that you can twist its composition. This dog food is enriched with ingredients that promote healthier muscles and a better digestive system and immune response.
- Packed with LifeSource Bits, which are rich in dietary essentials such as antioxidants and probiotics
- Enriched with omega fatty acids for healthier skin and coat of your Otterhound
- Planned to serve a high-protein recipe
Wellness CORE Dog Food is planned to be grain-free to support the digestive system of your Otterhound. This dog food can be digested easily, so your Otterhound gets to avail wholesome energy, fruitful for his exercise and training sessions. It even helps him perform better during the hunting sessions.
- Packed with highly nutritious ingredients such as natural turkey and chicken and a whole lot of naturally sourced antioxidants, probiotics, vitamins, and minerals
- Has omega fatty acids sourced from flax seeds
- Free of any potential artificial flavors
Hill’s Science Diet Large Breed Dog Food is primarily designed for those Otterhounds which are in their adulthood. It is aptly packed with the nutrients essential for the healthier maintenance of your pet pal so that you can trust its nutrient-dense formula.
- Has natural chicken as its primary ingredient, which is responsible for providing the flavor-rich taste and proteins
- Has an efficient blend of antioxidants to support immune response
- Free of common allergic ingredients
Diamond Naturals Large Breed Dog Food is specially prepared for large breed dogs like an Otterhound, so its makers have ensured that it provides those nutrients that precisely favor your Otterhound’s healthier maintenance. This diet is planned to be a nutrient-dense meal; therefore, it has natural ingredients like real chicken and brown rice among its primary ingredients.
- Has cage-free chicken as its #1 ingredient
- Centered around a natural recipe
- Free of common food allergens
Purina ONE SmartBlend True Instinct Dog Food is planned to provide a healthy and holistic meal to your Otterhound so that he can give out his hundred percent in his playing and training sessions. This dog food is aptly designed to have a high-quality blend of natural ingredients, including a rich level of proteins and other dietary essentials, so you can be confident that you are feeding your Otterhound well.
- Has turkey along with venison as its primary ingredient to provide apt levels of protein
- Free of the common ingredients that cause allergies
- Helps in maintaining stronger muscles
Dog Food for Otterhounds Buyer’s Guide
Otterhounds require a well-maintained and balanced diet to stay healthy and fit. Since pet parents have their image as a large breed dog, they often overfeed their Otterhound with a calorie-rich meal. This only increases the risk of joint disorders like hip dysplasia as it causes obesity. You should understand this by now that dog food selection is not random, and it is instead based upon the evaluation of certain aspects.
These aspects mainly define its suitability for your Otterhound, so you should understand them beforehand. You can read more about them in this section, as we decided to discuss them in our buyer’s guide to make life further easier for the confused yet dedicated pet parents.
The primary factor that you need to be aware of is the size of your Otterhound. Since you are aware that your Otterhound belongs to the large breed, you should restrict yourself to those dog foods prepared, especially for large dogs, or are generally better for all breeds. A dog food that serves multiple breed sizes generally has a multi-protein formula. They can be a suitable choice for your Otterhound as they will be more nutrient-dense. However, the ones dedicated to serving your Otterhound are also suitable, as their nutrition is targeted, so you don’t have to worry if you are overfeeding your Otterhound.
It is essential to know more about what is added to dog food to know if it is suitable for your Otterhound. Otterhounds are unwisely used for hunting purposes, so they need to maintain stronger muscles. Muscles are only maintained stronger with the right quantity of protein in one’s meal. To ensure that the diet has adequate protein, you should always check if the first ingredient in the list is real meat. Along with protein, carbohydrates are essential as well because they provide instant energy for daily tasks. The presence of vitamins like vitamin E and C ensures antioxidants, which are beneficial for the immune response. Along with that, the presence of natural fruits and vegetables is also preferable.
This brings us to the conclusion that dog food, which has more natural and fewer GMO ingredients, are suitable for the digestive system of your Otterhound. You should avoid buying foods with fillers, as they have a higher risk of causing obesity. The foods with common food allergens should also be avoided because they might be harmful to your Otterhound’s health. You should acquire more knowledge regarding these allergens from your Otterhound’s breeder.
- Best Dog Food
- Best Dry Dog Food
- Best Wet Dog Food
- Best Senior Dog Food
- Best Dog Food for Sensitive Stomachs
- Best Dog Food for Allergies
- Best Puppy Food for Otterhounds
- Best Dog Crate for Otterhounds
- Best Dog Bed for Otterhounds
- Best Dog Brush for Otterhounds
- Best Dog Toys for Otterhounds
- Best Dog Collar for Otterhounds
- Best Dog Harness for Otterhounds
- Best Dog Muzzle for Otterhounds
- Best Dog Shampoo for Otterhounds
- Best Training Book for Otterhounds