Once trained as a farm breed to have a check on rodents, Rat Terriers are highly energetic but sensitive species. Their feel-good temperament makes them a perfect family companion. As a native of America, they are also known as American Rat Terriers. When treated properly with a balanced diet, the training process of these terriers is not an uphill battle. A healthy meal is also necessary to prevent destructive behavior among them.
However, their proneness to weight gain makes the selection of their food a bit challenging. A low carbohydrate diet with protein-rich nutrients is essential to maintain their vigor. Therefore, to ensure that your Rat Terrier gets a nutrition-rich diet, we have reviewed five best dog foods for Rat Terriers.
Best Dog Foods for Rat Terriers
Here are our dog foods for Rat Terriers reviews.
1. Royal Canin Size Health Nutrition Small Adult Formula Dog Dry Food
The energy requirement of a smaller breed is more than the bigger ones. Considering this specification, the Royal Canin Size Health Nutrition Small Adult Formula Dog Dry Food is crafted, especially for small-sized breeds like Rat Terriers. It contains L-Carnitine that regulates their proneness to weight gain by improving their metabolism.
- Exclusive flavors for your picky breed.
- Added EPA & DHA for a healthier coat
- The kibbles are formulated to reduce tartar production.
2. Taste of the Wild High Prairie Grain-free Dry Dog Food
With protein-rich ingredients like buffalo and bison, the Taste of the Wild High Prairie Grain-free Dry Dog Food has all the required elements to sustain the stamina of your vibrant Rat Terriers. The sweet potatoes and chickpeas ensure a highly digestible recipe. The chelated amino acid in the ingredient stimulates their immune system.
- Grain-free recipe
- Includes natural antioxidant sources and prebiotic fibers for the enhanced digestive system.
- It contains Omega 3 & 6 fatty acids to maintain their smooth and lustrous coat.
3. Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Adult Chicken & Brown Rice Recipe Dry Dog Food
The Super 7 package exclusive of Blue Buffalo is full of antioxidants essential for your Rat Terrier. This protein-rich meal, including deboned chicken, is an apt choice for your pet. It is a balanced diet with efficient nutrition value from wholesome ingredients to maintain their vigor. Added calcium and phosphorus strengthen their bones and teeth.
- Includes glucosamine to regulate their joints
- Offers better immunity with essential vitamins, chelated minerals and antioxidants.
- No added colors, flavors or preservatives.
4. Purina Pro Plan Savor Adult Shredded Blend Chicken & Rice Formula Dry Dog Food
A treat to your Terrier’s taste buds, Purina Pro Plan Dry Dog Food comes in savory flavor to make your choosy small-sized breed crave for it. The primary ingredient of this diet i.e., deboned chicken, is a protein-rich source constituting 26% of the meal, maintaining a balanced protein-to-fat ratio. Added probiotic fibers ensure healthy digestion.
- Vitamin A, along with Omega fatty acids, maintains their lustrous and healthy coat.
- An exclusive texture with shredded morsels.
- A balanced amount of protein and fat prevents them from getting overweight.
5. Rachael Ray Nutrish Natural Chicken & Veggies Recipe Dry Dog Food
With basic and essential ingredients, the Rachael Ray Nutrish Natural Chicken & Veggies Recipe Dry Dog Food is an apt choice for your Rat Terrier as the less number of ingredients reduces the probability of getting allergies. A protein-rich first ingredient, along with added nutrients from wholesome fruits and vegetables ensures that your pet gets the required nourishment. It also provides prebiotic support and regulates healthy digestion through brown rice and beet pulp.
- Includes natural sources of vitamin and minerals
- Added Omega 3 & 6 fatty acids for healthier skin and coat.
- Does not contain poultry by-products, added colors, or preservatives.
Dog Foods For Rat Terriers Buyer’s Guide
These vigilant and active species require an adequate amount of nutrition to keep up with their energetic character. A ketogenic diet i.e., low carbs and protein-rich diet are recommended for American Rat Terriers in order to maintain their weight. An overweight terrier can easily get prone to disorders like hip dysplasia and patellar luxation. Moreover, a healthy diet enhances their training capacity. Also, the food selection gets a bit difficult because of the picky nature of small-sized breeds.
There is some obvious confusion among the owners regarding a proper diet for their Rat Terriers, and to answer all those doubts, we have mentioned certain factors that should be taken into consideration before opting for a particular product.
Before anything else, every buyer looks for a cost-effective deal. A portion of well-nourished dog food that goes easy on your pockets is not a complex endeavor unless and until you do not compromise with the quality of the product for its cost. While you can always avail of the offers endowed by the respective dealers.
The primary ingredient of the chosen diet for your Rat Terrier must be an animal-based protein-rich source. You should make sure that you do not choose a meal with vegetables as the protein source to reduce the cost. Further, added elements like antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, chelated amino acids, and probiotic fibers boost the nourishing process. While an adequate amount of antioxidant is necessary for healthy digestion, the chelated amino acids stimulate their immune systems. Added Omega fatty acids maintain their dense and shiny coat.
Age and size
The age of your Rat Terrier is one of the most important criteria while selecting a meal for them. The puppies require a larger amount of protein as compared to the adult ones in order to sustain their growth. Moreover, they also require added calcium and phosphorus for stronger bones and teeth.
Also known as Decker Giants, this breed has two size divisions- miniature and standard. An average miniature adult weighs 4-6 pounds, while a standard one weighs 10-25 pounds. This evident difference between them individualizes their calorie requirements.
An overweight Rat Terrier gets prone to hip dysplasia and patellar luxation. Therefore, one must ensure that they do not take more than the required calories. The same proneness requires them to be treated with a diet with low carbohydrates. If necessary, you must consult a veterinarian regarding its weight. Furthermore, Rat Terriers can easily develop allergies as they are not hypoallergenic species. Some popular ingredients like chicken, potatoes, or any other meat or vegetable can act as an allergen. Certain herbs or spices can also trigger allergies among them.
One of the frequent doubts among the owners is regarding the type of dog food appropriate for their Rat Terriers. The two primary options- wet food and dry food do not have a prominent difference except that dry food has high-calorie density. With the same amount of kibbles, your Terrier will get more calories when served dry dog food. There are also certain specialized diets for different conditions, but you should buy them only after consulting a veterinarian.
- Best Dog Food
- Best Dry Dog Food
- Best Wet Dog Food
- Best Senior Dog Food
- Best Dog Food for Sensitive Stomachs
- Best Dog Food for Allergies
- Best Puppy Food for Rat Terriers
- Best Dog Crate for Rat Terriers
- Best Dog Bed for Rat Terriers
- Best Dog Brush for Rat Terriers
- Best Dog Toys for Rat Terriers
- Best Dog Collar for Rat Terriers
- Best Dog Harness for Rat Terriers
- Best Dog Muzzle for Rat Terriers
- Best Dog Shampoo for Rat Terriers
- Best Training Book for Rat Terriers