The Saint Bernard personifies the phrase, “gentle giant.” These dogs are calm, loyal and especially good around children. These exceptionally large dogs can reach up to 200 pounds, but interestingly, the food requirement may actually be lower than other breeds of working dogs as Saint Bernards tend to be more placid. Thus, it is important to ensure that the dog food that your Saint Bernard is eating is high-quality and full of nutritional benefits to support its large frame and health. We’ve identified the top dog food brands for your Saint Bernard.
Best Dog Food for Saint Bernards
Here are our Saint Bernard dog food reviews.
Royal Canin Junior Dry Dog food is specifically formulated for puppies of large breed dogs. This recipe supports muscle development for extra-large puppies in their growth stages. And, the balanced nutrition in this Royal Canin nurtures a Saint Bernard’s immune system for healthy development.
- Royal Canin is enriched with L-carnitine for muscle development.
- This formula meets the nutritional needs of extra-large puppies in their second growth stage.
- The balanced mineral content promotes healthy bones and joints through an adapted energy intake.
Specially formulated to meet the needs of adult dogs who weigh over 50lbs, this dog food is tailor made to your St. Bernard. Purina Pro Plan is made with high-quality protein, including real beef, to energize your St. Bernard. This large breed dog food offers balanced nutrition to help support a strong immune system.
- Unique formula that helps support strong bones and healthy joints of large dogs.
- Formulated specifically for large breed dogs over 50 pounds.
- Purina Pro Plan is Made with real turkey, chicken, beef or salmon and highly digestible rice.
Nature’s Recipe is a premium dry dog food that helps your dog maintain lean muscle mass. This formula contains natural fiber from barley and oatmeal to enhance the flavor and support optimal digestion. Nature’s Recipe has been creating healthy foods for more than 30 years.
- The added fiber helps support digestion and immune system health.
- Nature’s Recipe eliminates added corn, wheat, soy, poultry by-product meal, artificial colors or flavors.
- The chicken in this recipe helps maintain muscle strength.
Hill’s Science Diet is the #1 veterinarian recommended brand. This formula uses specific ingredients to support the needs of an aging dog. Omega-3s and antioxidants work to keep a healthy coat and skin.
- The formula in Hill’s Science supports an older dog’s joints and mobility using omega 3s from fish oil.
- The special antioxidant blend is created to support a mature dog’s immune system.
- Nourishing omega-6 fatty acids and vitamin E help maintain a senior dog’s healthy skin and shiny coat.
The Diamond All Life recipe features a mix of 26% protein, 16% fat and added superfoods. All Life Stages Dog Chicken and Rice Formula provides the energy and muscle building blocks dogs need. Vitamin E ensure adds optimum antioxidants.
- Diamond All Life is made of real cage free chicken with an optimal amino acid profile.
- This formula is nutrient rich and digestible with proprietary probiotics.
- Diamond Life is made in the United States with scientifically advanced food safety protocols.
Saint Bernard Dog Food Buying Guide
The Saint Bernard are placid, calm dogs who enjoy being with their family. Interestingly, Saint Bernard’s have a higher chance of food allergies than other dogs, so this is absolutely something you should discuss with your veterinarian if it seems like your pet is developing sluggish behavior or starts to exhibit allergic reactions on its skin.
Meat as the primary protein source
Look for dog foods that feature meat as the primary source. An added bonus is to look for dog foods that can source where their meat comes from and a dog food formula that features free range or organic meat is an extra treat for your dog’s health. But remember, the second and third ingredients are equally important. Even if meat is the first ingredient, it could be that it is made up of mostly water source. So always ensure that your dog food has high quality secondary and tertiary ingredients, as well.
Wet and dry
The St. Bernard can benefit from a natural diet and will do well with dry dog food, but wet dog food can provide an extra treat. Wet dog food might with a range of healthy ingredients might be a superb choice for more senior dogs who have dental issues.
Wet dog food has more moisture than dry dog food and can help your St. Bernard stay hydrated and prevent UTIs. This type of food may be more appealing to senior dogs and picky eaters. As with any dog food, look for wet dog food with limited fillers and high quality protein.
Dry dog food has the advantage of keeping up your St. Bernard’s oral health. Chewing dry kibble can reduce tartar and plaque in your dog’s mouth and keep gums healthy. As an added bonus, dry kibble will keep your St. Bernard breath fresher!
Low Carbohydrates, More Vegetables.
Grains can elicit an allergic reaction in Saint Bernards, so look for dog foods that are low in grains and bread, and instead consider foods with vegetables, beans and legumes.
No added fillers, artificial flavors, preservatives.
Some dog foods will minimize the lean protein and fill dog food with fillers, such as corn or wheat. In addition, try to avoid products that have artificial flavors or preservatives. Dog foods that eliminate these will list them in their advertisements, but it’s always important to look at the ingredient list. Generally speaking, dog foods that are more natural will be less likely to contain these by products. But, it is always important to research and to read the fine print. Look for dog foods that feature less ingredients when feeding your St. Bernard.