Often nicknamed as sheltie, Shetland Sheepdogs were bred for sheep herding in the United Kingdom’s northernmost part. Although these Scottish dogs largely resemble rough collie, they don’t share ancestry with them directly. Shetland Sheepdogs are about 15 inches high, but due to their agile, intelligent, and obedient nature, they have made a special place in Americans’ hearts. Long coated Shetland Sheepdogs are very affectionate and loyal towards their owners. The enormous barking tendency of this sensitive herding dog makes them an excellent watchdog.
If you want to welcome such a cute Shetland Sheepdog in your life, it is high time you started doing research on which dog food is best to meet the nutritional standard of your Shetland Sheepdog.
Best Dog Foods for Shetland Sheepdogs
Here are our dog foods for Shetland Sheepdogs reviews.
For providing a nutritious meal to your Shetland Sheepdog, the Purina Pro Plan Adult Sensitive Skin & Stomach Salmon & Rice Formula Dry Dog Food is appropriate. It contains salmon which is rich in protein and prebiotic fiber which is easy to digest. Along with rice and oats, it also consists of fish oil which is rich in omega 3 fatty acids.
- Ideal for those with sensitive stomach
- Promotes a healthy immune system
- Supports healthy joints and nourishes skin
Available in three varied sized bags, Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Adult Chicken & Brown Rice Recipe Dry Dog Food takes care of your Shetland Sheepdog’s well being. A perfect blend of real meat, vegetables, and grains makes this delicious food dog’s favorite. It is evident from the smaller kibble size that the food has been made keeping in mind the smaller jaws of Shetland Sheepdogs.
- The food product is efficient in tartar removal.
- The availability of glucosamine takes care of its bone health.
- It doesn’t contain any soy product, wheat, or corn as some dogs are sensitive to these.
3. Nutro Wholesome Essentials Small Breed Adult Farm-Raised Chicken, Brown Rice & Sweet Potato Recipe Dry Dog Food
This uniquely designed Nutro Wholesome Essentials Small Breed Adult Farm-Raised Chicken, Brown Rice & Sweet Potato Recipe Dry Dog Food acts as an all in one food for Shetland Sheepdogs. Farm-raised chicken, sweet potato, peas, rice, lamb meal, and many other ingredients make this food a lip-smacking one for your Sheepdog. These crunchy kibbles contain two different kinds of omega fatty acids that act wonder to their skin and coat.
- This is 100% natural and doesn’t contain any artificial element.
- The natural fiber of the food keeps its digestion process healthy and regular.
- As per cup of this food contains 343 Kcal, it is pretty good for its heart health.
4. Hill’s Science Diet Adult Sensitive Stomach & Skin Small & Mini Breed Chicken Recipe Dry Dog Food
This Hill’s Science Diet Adult Sensitive Stomach & Skin Small & Mini Breed Chicken Recipe Dry Dog Food is a great choice for your tiny Shetland Sheepdog. Along with chicken and egg, the food also has a twist in its flavor as it uses pork liver. The prebiotic support of the dog food boosts the immunity standard of your Sheepdog.
- The abundance of vitamin E in the food gives it healthy skin.
- This food packet abides by the pet food safety standard.
- There is a 4 lb bag and a 15 lb bag for this food.
This Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Urinary SO Small Breed Dry Dog Food takes good care of bladder health for small-sized dogs such as Shetland Sheepdog. This delicious chicken meal is also good for its dental health. This wonderful food pops a blend of unique kinds of taste inside its mouth.
- The hydration quality of the food keeps your Sheepdog hydrated for a long time.
- Compounds made of calcium and phosphorus are good for skeletal development.
- Apart from vitamin E, there are also vitamin B and Vitamin D rich ingredients.
Dog Foods For Shetland Sheepdogs Buyer’s Guide
This gentle yet active dog falls in the category of British herding dogs. But, until the 20th century, the rest of the country was not aware of this straight coated dog’s existence. Although originally they were bred to help farmers in the field, their role has changed with passing years. Now, almost all the Americans dream of having such a Shetland Sheepdog as a family pet for the cute look of these tiny dogs. If you are one of them, here we will guide you through buying the best suitable food for your toy dog.
A proper diet should consist of a neat balance of fat, protein and carbohydrates. That is why almost every dog food these days contains raw meat and rice. If there isn’t any symbol of obesity in your Shetland Sheepdog, you can easily provide it a bowl full of fatty dog food. This will help your Sheepdog get a shiny and soft coat.
Both vitamins and minerals are very important in dog foods. These make an immunity shield against all germs and prevent your Sheepdog from falling sick.
For toy dogs like Shetland Sheepdog, small and medium-sized bags weighing up to 15 pounds are perfect. Most of the Shetland Sheepdogs have a weight of 15 to 25 pounds. They can hardly consume more than 15 pounds of food in a month.
Breed of the dog
As Shetland Sheepdogs are small breed dog communities, they won’t need any high-calorie food to keep them active and agile. If the food contains around 350 Kcal per cup, it is more than enough to meet their nutritional requirements.
In the end, we hope that these suggestions will help you to find the right dog food for your Shetland Sheepdog.
- Best Dog Food
- Best Dry Dog Food
- Best Wet Dog Food
- Best Senior Dog Food
- Best Dog Food for Sensitive Stomachs
- Best Dog Food for Allergies
- Best Puppy Food for Shetland Sheepdogs
- Best Dog Crate for Shetland Sheepdogs
- Best Dog Bed for Shetland Sheepdogs
- Best Dog Brush for Shetland Sheepdogs
- Best Dog Toys for Shetland Sheepdogs
- Best Dog Collar for Shetland Sheepdogs
- Best Dog Harness for Shetland Sheepdogs
- Best Dog Muzzle for Shetland Sheepdogs
- Best Dog Shampoo for Shetland Sheepdogs
- Best Training Book for Shetland Sheepdogs