Did you know that as many as 10 million dogs and cats go missing around the US each year? If this is your greatest fear, then you might want to come up with a solution to ensure you’ll be able to find them no matter where they go. Whether you want to take them to the park or go on a grand adventure with your pup, then be sure to consider these 13 best dog GPS trackers.
Why Buy Dog GPS Trackers?
Giving your dog some kind of GPS-tracking device can help in many ways but if you’re still unsure about investing in one, here are just a few reasons why you should consider it.
They Can Save a Life
A GPS pet tracker can help you keep watch of your dog any time you want, even when you’re at work or away from home. This allows you to ensure that your dog is safe at all times. Should your dog run away, you’ll be able to find them quickly through the real-time tracking that they provide.
Monitors Dog Activity and Health
Many pet GPS trackers can keep you updated with your dog’s activity and health levels. These can record your dog’s sleeping, resting, and walking times, as well as other activities. In terms of health, some trackers can also check on your pet’s behavior and heartbeat — it can then notify you when something’s wrong.
Provides a Virtual Fence
The best GPS tracker for dogs can also serve as a virtual fence to help contain dogs within certain areas of your home. A virtual fence costs less compared to physical ones while helping you keep track of your pets’ movements. When your dog runs past the fence, you’ll get a notification so you can immediately take action, plus you can make more fences using these devices.
Great Tool for Hunting
Whenever you go hunting with your pooch, a GPS device is a must-have. Once your dog finds its prey, you won’t have to worry about losing it during chases and you’ll be able to keep track of your dog no matter where it goes off. Some trackers will be able to display your dog’s behavior along with other details such as time spent and distance traveled.
The 13 Best Dog GPS Trackers
Dog owners looking for the best GPS dog collars will be happy to know that there are plenty of options to choose from in the market. Below are the top choices available today.
- Monitors your dog’s location and alerts you when your dog leaves the safe zone
- With a yearly plan that delivers weekly reports on your dog’s health and fitness
- Long-lasting battery that works for up to 20 days on a single charge
- Comes with the Whistle app that provides on-demand, licensed veterinary experts
Give your furry friend the safety it needs to freely explore any place with the Whistle Go Explore GPS tracker, which can accurately track your pet’s location and health. Simply attach it to the collar and set personalized alerts through the Whistle app — the live tracking mode allows you to get location updates. This device comes built-in with light for visibility and helps you monitor your dog’s activity, nutrition, and health levels while alerting you to repetitive behaviors such as scratching and licking.
- Requires a subscription plan to use which comes in 1, 2, or 5-year plans
- Creates a virtual fence that sends alerts when your pup strays and returns
- Provides activity monitoring throughout the day and counts the calories burned
- Works in more than 150 countries and comes with a free app for your phone
With Tractive’s GPS Location and Smart Activity Pet Tracker for Dogs, you can see every step your dog takes in real time — the waterproof Tractive works with your dog’s collar and your phone. Through the free Tractive app that’s available on both Android and iOS, you’ll be able to check your dog’s location anytime, anywhere with an unlimited range. Once you get started with your subscription, this tool will allow you to track your pup pretty much anywhere in the world through your mobile network — even in remote areas.
3. Apple AirTag
- Can be used on your pets and other valuable items using a holder
- One-tap setup connects with your iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch
- With Ultra Wideband Technology for accurate and precise locating
- Find My Network helps to find items that have been lost further away
While it may seem strange, one of the best GPS dog trackers isn’t even made specifically for dogs — the Apple AirTag was designed to help people locate their missing valuables but actually works just as well as other options in this list. With it, you can use Siri to help locate your pooch, pinpoint its location even when it gets lost somewhere far away, and check your pup’s location through your favorite Apple devices. It offers additional features such as a replaceable battery that lasts more than a year, Find My network, IP67 water, and dust resistance, plus a wide range of accessories to help customize your dog’s tracker.
- With a week-long battery life perfect for your daily adventures
- Has 18 levels of behavior correction, including vibration and sound
- Track up to 20 dogs within 9 miles, making it the best option for multiple pets
- Can sync with some smartphones, vehicles, and Garmin dog-tracking units
The Garmin Alpha 10 Dog Tracking and Training Collar offers a 2-in-1 training and tracking solution that allows you to replay where your dog has been and view their tracking data. Capable of tracking a total of 20 dogs through its multi-GNSS tracking, you can keep an eye on each one making it perfect for big families who love to travel with their four-legged family members. When you’re ready to train your pooch, this device can also help by providing various levels of behavior correction such as sound and vibration as you track your dog’s data.
- This powerful tracker can help to retrieve lost items apart from your pooch
- The free app can be used to ring your missing item when within Bluetooth range
- Helps to find your missing items from further away using the Tile Network
- Compatible with iOS, Android, and smart home devices for more options
Because it doesn’t require a subscription to provide you with its full functionality, the Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker is one of the most affordable options in the market and is best for pet parents on a tight budget. Even without the use of cellular networks, this versatile device is compatible with Hey Google, Siri, and Amazon’s Alexa, while its compact design makes it easy to attach to your pooch. Extra features include an IP67 water-resistant build, a 1-year replaceable battery, and a tracking range of up to 400 ft.; you can also upgrade to a premium plan to get Smart Alert notifications.
- Helps to track pets, people, vehicles, and belongings through your cell phone
- With a rechargeable battery that lasts between 10 to 60 days per charge
- Provides location tracking for your dog and real-time notifications for various activities
- Offers convenient tech support and customer service when problems arise
If you have a pet that loves to get lost in its adventures, then the Cube Real-Time GPS Dog Tracker is the perfect solution for you. Using a SIM card, this GPS tracker connects to your cellular service and can be used through your computer or mobile device to provide you with the real-time location of your pooch. It’s robust enough to set up geofences while providing you with notifications for low battery, crossing boundaries, speeding, and other alerts, offering a good option for hyper and small dogs.
- A complete tracking system that shows your dog’s location at all times
- Supports the tracking of as many as 12 dogs within a 7-mile range
- With DryTek technology that helps the collar stay waterproof up to 25 feet
- Has 99 levels of momentary, rising, programmable, and continuous static stimulation
With the SportDOG TEK Series GPS Dog Tracking System, you can track the exact location of your pet — it comes with a handheld device and smart collar that provides the ultimate tracking solution. It provides reports of your dog’s location, status, and direction which is displayed on the LCD screen, while the rechargeable lithium-ion batteries last 24 hours after each charge for the collar and 20 hours on the device. Capable of tracking up to 12 dogs over a 7-mile range and with 99 levels of programmable stimulation, it provides a better option for a pet owner looking to train their dogs.
- Using satellite antenna positioning, offering accurate positioning, especially in rural areas
- Provides an operational range of 1,300 with an adjustable range of 15 to 999 yards
- Choose from vibration, beeper, and static shock training modes
- Made using a waterproof design and a long battery life of up to 36 hours
When you want your pet to play within a safe area even when you’re away, the Petdiary F800 GPS Wireless Outdoor Electric Dog GPS & Activity Tracker can give it a wide space to play using by setting up an electric fence. Through GPS technology, it can set boundaries in a few minutes without the need for a monthly subscription fee, mobile app, base station, wires, or transmitters, providing dogs and their owners ease of use. Because it’s so convenient to use, it is arguably the best dog tracker available in the market, provided that you can shell out the one-time purchase for this tracker.
- An innovative tracker that combines GPS, Wi-Fi, cellular, and Bluetooth technology
- Lightweight, small, water-resistant, and durable to withstand everyday activities
- Accurate and reliable beaconing technology to locate your pup even in remote locations
- Can be attached easily to your dog’s collar and offers an unlimited range
When you want an option that’s different from most activity trackers, then the Jiobit GPS Dog Location Monitor is a great option — it uses a combination of Wi-Fi, cellular, GPS, and Bluetooth to keep track of your pet’s location. As a result, it provides reliable and accurate results, along with real-time alerts, location updates, and live tracking while letting you see your pet’s activities through its timeline history feature. At the same time, the actual tracking device is small enough to be attached to your pet’s collar where it can create a designated area for it to move in — it’s also durable, water-resistant, and lightweight.
- This waterproof tracking device can last up to 80 hours after charging
- Can be paired with compatible Garmin devices to be put on sleep mode
- Comes with Garmin Express software, which can be used on Windows and Mac devices
- Provides 18 levels of momentary, vibration, tone, and continuous stimulation
When it comes to dog GPS collars, the best tracker you can invest in is the Garmin TT 15X Tracking and Training Dog Device, which can help track your dog as far as 9 miles away. Setting this tracker to sleep mode is the best way to use your dog training and tracking device when paired with your compatible Garmin device — it’s also water-resistant for up to 10 meters. Finally, this device is compatible with all Alpha, Astro 430, and PRO 550 Plus handheld Garmin devices; it delivers a wide range of stimulation levels to keep your dog well-behaved at all times.
- Allows you to create a local network of neighbors, friends, and family members
- Helps you make a digital profile for your pup, including its medical information
- Provides a Bluetooth range of 300 feet in all directions as its safe zone
- With a social network that connects you to pet-friendly businesses, and a community of like-minded pet parents
Help your dog find its way home with the Pawscout Version 2.5 Bluetooth Dog Tag — with this device, you can use the Pawscout app and rally other dog lovers to help whenever you need it. However, it’s not just helpful when your is lost, but it can also come in handy when you need important details during a vet visit; this tool allows you to create a behavioral and medical profile for your pup. Because it’s so versatile, you can set up virtual fences, share photos, schedule playdates, and discover pet-friendly places for you and your canine companion to visit.
- Around 22% smaller compared to the original PathFinder2 tracker
- Lithium batteries provide a quick charge that only takes 4 hours
- Provides a stimulation-free experience for your dog while tracking its location
- Tracks your dog’s location without the need for a monthly subscription, Google Maps, or cellular signals
When you want to give your dog a stress-free experience while they explore the world around them, there’s no better option than the Dogtra PATHFINDER2 Mini TRX Dog GPS Tracker. This extra collar is compatible with the Dogtra PATHFINDER2 Mini Dog Bark Control and helps to track your dog as far away as 4 miles using the free app on a compatible smartphone. The good news about this option is that it requires no monthly fees, subscriptions, or payments while providing you with tracking that’s as accurate as many of the choices in this list.
- Offers a 30-day free trial to everything Link has to offer without any commitments
- A small collar attachment that provides real-time tracking through a combination of technologies
- Comes with an accelerometer that tracks your pup’s steps, activity targets, and daily activities
- Vibrations and tones that reinforce positive behavior in your dog along with training videos
With the Link My Pet Dog GPS Tracker and Activity Monitor with Training Tools and Wrap, you’ll get a lightweight and compact device that can be attached to almost any kind of collar and harness. Using Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, or GPS, it can locate your pup in real-time, while Cellular Technology can be used to monitor your dog’s activity, steps, and goals through the free app. Even when you’re far from home, you can get alerts when your pup leaves its safe zone, and you can quickly correct any unwanted behavior through app-controlled vibrations and tones so you can ensure that your pooch stays a good boy.
Accessories for Dog GPS Trackers
Lucky for you, we’ve also done more research on the best accessories for the smaller dog GPS trackers listed above.
- Can securely hold an Apple AirTag and other similarly-sized items
- With a slide-to-lock carabiner for increased security
- Provides a discreet, lightweight, and protective housing for small trackers
- Has inner grooves for a tight hold and a pull-on tab that opens it easily
If you’re worried about losing your precious GPS trackers because they’re so small, then the Nite Ize WearAbout Dog Clippable Tracker Holder is the perfect accessory for you! Made from a lightweight, thermoplastic lid and housing, this clippable holder for small trackers can withstand daily, long-term use and can be opened easily thanks to its easy-to-use pull tab. It also provides a tight and secure hold that can be easily clipped on a harness or collar that won’t get lost even through rough play and all-day running.
- Secures small trackers onto your pet’s collar so that you never lose it
- Made from waterproof silicone that’s easily washable and soft to the touch
- Allows you to personalize with up to 4 lines of text to help your pooch get home safely
- Offers flexible openings that allow it to fit a wide range of collar sizes
If you’re using an Apple AirTag or the Pawscout 2.5 Dog Tag, the GoTags Engraved AirTag Dog Collar Holder is washable and waterproof and is a great addition to your dog’s accessory collection. Safely securing your dog’s tracker, it also provides a more customized holder for your pooch, so if you ever get separated, you can add details that will help your dog find its way back home. This holder is also available in many sizes that will fit most collars and its slide-on design provides a more comfortable fit for your pooch compared to metal tags — it also comes in a wide range of colors to give your furbaby extra flair!
Things to Consider with Dog GPS Trackers
While all GPS trackers for dogs promise to deliver stellar results not all are made equal; some will live up to their promise while others tend to fall short in terms of accuracy and features. Before you commit to purchasing an item in particular, there are a few things that you will need to consider to ensure that you will get the most out of your purchase.
Your Dog’s Needs
If you plan on getting a GPS tracker to go out hunting with your dog, a regular option won’t be enough if you’re on a hunting trip with your dog in a remote place without any signals. It could result in the tracker struggling to keep up with your pooch. As such, a tracker that uses multiple ways of communication will be a better choice — some options offer Wi-Fi, satellite, GPS, and Bluetooth connectivity in one.
The Size of Your Pup
Because GPS trackers will come in a wide variety of designs and sizes, it can be easy to choose the wrong one. Be sure to measure your pet’s neck size and familiarize yourself with a size chart before taking one home.
Many dog GPS trackers will claim to implement LTE but actually use 2G or 3G, which is no longer suitable for today’s standards. Be sure to double-check details and choose a tracker from a trusted brand to avoid scams. Many modern trackers will have great connectivity — picking the right tracker for your pet shouldn’t be too hard if you go directly to the source.
Durability and Quality
Be sure to choose a tracker built using high-quality materials that can withstand water. These will be made from premium materials and will have an IP rating that will stay functional even after swimming.
Long Battery Life
Having a GPS tracker that dies in the middle of looking for your dog is pretty much useless, so be sure to get a tracker that will work for a minimum of a few days. Many trackers will use lithium-ion rechargeable batteries, so be sure to get one as well.
Fees and Subscriptions
If you want a dog tracker that comes with a monthly fee or subscription, then be sure to get as much as you can out of every dollar you spend. Look for options that come with extra features like health and activity tracking as well as other essentials.
The best dog GPS trackers should have your dog’s needs in mind and should ensure that your dog is safe at all times, providing you with a worry-free experience whenever it’s in use. Even if you have a dog walker to take your dog outside when you don’t have the time, using a tracker can help keep an eye on your pup no matter where you are. But no matter which option you prefer from the list above, be sure to get the right measurements of your pup to make sure it fits.