Part of the shepherd class of working dogs, Australian Cattle Dogs are both physically powerful and surprisingly intelligent. When their herding instinct kicks in, they may want to chase a person or animal who runs from them.
To maximize control over these dogs, owners of Australian Cattle Dogs may prefer a harness instead of a collar, particularly for training. A good harness for this breed will be breathable, durable, and comfortable.
Best Dog Harnesses for Australian Cattle Dogs
Here are our Australian Cattle Dog harness reviews.
The Embark Adventure harness provides ease of wear; adjust once and you’re ready to go. The soft padded harness offers comfort while also not pulling or choking the animal. Designed for adventure, the Emback features 250 times the pulling strength of a traditional harness.
- Two points of adjustment required only once, on the neck and chest.
- The no pull dog harness for large dogs surpasses national pulling strength guidelines by over 100 pounds.
- Embark harnesses feature a no pull front leading leash attachment which has been tripled in strength since the first model.
The Mighty Paw was created to offer the absolute perfect fit and is ideal for Australian Cattle Dog puppies in training. And, Might Paw was also constructed with your pet’s safety in mind, especially with the no pull and reflective striping. Comfortable padding on the dog’s neck and chest keep your pet happy.
- Adjustable straps at the neck and chest allow for a perfect fit no matter what size or shape of the dog.
- Quick release buckles make for easy removal or wear.
- The durable fabric is wear resistant.
Copatchy No Pull Reflective Harness has a double adjustable strap that remove stress from the dogs neck and is ideal for puppies. Available in a variety of sizes, the Copatchy had a design for even the smallest dogs. The comfortable, no pull sponge filled material makes this perfect for even a smaller, fragile dog, or a puppy in training.
- Copatchy clips along the dog’s neck and chest, making application and removal simple.
- The Copatchy eliminates stress on the dog’s neck.
- The dimensions of the XX-Small size fit a dog with a chest size of 9.5-12-inches, a neck size of 8-10 Inches and a weight 3-8 pounds.
With the Bolux Dog Harness, pressure is evenly distributed to prevent the dog from choking and creating a more humane experience. This dog vest is comfortable and ideal for senior dogs and leisurely walks. This super comfortable harness is available in 13 colors and multiple sizes to suit your dog’s taste and girth.
- On the Bolux, pressure is evenly distributed to the body to prevent pulling and choking.
- The dimensions for this harness fit a neck girth between 10″-11.5″ and a chest girth between 12.5″-14″.
- The added reflective straps to ensure your dog is highly visible in low lights and at night.
Australian Cattle Dog Harness Buyer’s Guide
Harnesses offer many advantages over collars, especially for working dogs like the Australian Cattle Dog. Attached to a leash, they do not choke the dog’s neck and distribute pulling force over the strongest part of the dog, they offer ample surfaces for reflective tape if the dog is working at night, and they are very useful for controlling the dog during training. Here are features to focus on when buying a harness for your American Cattle Dog.
Australian Cattle Dogs are workers, and will cover almost any terrain when outside. Harnesses more often catch branches or or snag on obstacles, and for this dog that means that all but the strongest harnesses will wear out quickly. Look for sturdy and dense nylon straps, rather than nylon mesh straps.
Strong buckles and fasteners.
For strong, powerful dogs like the Australian Cattle Dogs, it is essential that a harness can withstand the force of them lunging for proper restraint and training purposes. Avoid flimsy plastic tab buckles, or look for buckles with a load rating of at least 100 pounds. Metal buckles are the best.
Australian Cattle Dogs love getting muddy and their harnesses can get quite dirty. To keep your harness in the best shape, you may have to wash it regularly. Make sure any harness you buy can be washed quickly and easily.
Places for accessories.
Even more than collars, harnesses offer a lot of room for attachments and accessories. They mostly come with leash rings, but many also come with training handles, pull attachments (Australian Cattle Dogs often compete in dog pulling competitions), and reflective tape. Harnesses with velcro are also handy for affixing a name tape on your dog’s harness.
- Best Leash for Dogs that Pull
- Best Dog Harness
- Best Dog Muzzle
- Best Dog Activity Monitor
- Best Dog Bike Trailer
- Best Dog Stroller
- Best Dog Training Collar
- Best Dog Leash for Running
- Best Australian Cattle Dog Essentials, Accessories, and Toys
- Best Dog Food for Australian Cattle Dogs
- Best Dog Crate for Australian Cattle Dogs
- Best Dog Bed for Australian Cattle Dogs
- Best Dog Brush for Australian Cattle Dogs
- Best Dog Toys for Australian Cattle Dogs
- Best Dog Collar for Australian Cattle Dogs
- Best Dog Muzzle for Australian Cattle Dogs
- Best Dog Shampoo for Australian Cattle Dogs