The right harness for your Bloodhound offers multiple points of adjustment, gives you control and helps you to train your dog and ultimately, keeps your Bloodhound safe. The right harness will also be durable, with solid construction, resist chewing and tearing and be made of high-quality, indestructible materials. Wondering where to start? We’ve selected our top five harnesses for Bloodhounds.
Best Dog Harnesses for Bloodhounds
Here are our Bloodhound dog harness reviews.
1. Gooby – Escape Free Sport Harness
Bloodhounds are persistent dogs and their sense of smell could send them running off in a flash. This is why it’s important to have an escape-free harness to prevent your Bloodhound from escaping out of your control The patented escape free frame reduces choking and prevents your Bloodhound from escaping.
- The soft and padded neoprene material hugs your Bloodhound’s body softly.
- There are four adjustable points, two on the neck and two on the chest, for the perfect fit.
- Escape free, the harness reduces the space around the back making it hard for the dog to escape.
2. RUFFWEAR – Front Range Dog Harness
Ruffwear makes products for dogs and their humans that love adventure, especially Bloodhounds. Ruffwear is durable and this harness is designed for the larger Bloodhound, but can grow with your pet. This is because Ruffwear offers a customizable fit.
- Five convenient points of adjustment offer full range of motion.
- The foam-padded straps provide lasting comfort without hindering movement.
- The RUFFWEAR offers two sturdy leash ring connectors.
3. EXPAWLORER Big Dog Harness
The Expawlorer dog vest is designed to offer comfortable control of Bloodhounds. The quick buckle helps adjust the dog vest. And the nylon harness is thick, breathable, and comfortable.
- The dog harness is designed with a quick buckle for easy wear.
- Equipped with nighttime reflective tape for visibility.
- A strong rubber ring on the top of the harness allows for direct and effective control.
4. BABYLTRL Big Dog Harness
The Babyltrl is highly rated and designed for large dogs like your Bloodhound and is especially beneficial for more mature pets. This is because the harness is no pull and choke free. And, it’s adjustable fit ensures a secure and comfortable fit.
- The pulling pressure is evenly distributed to the body to prevent choking.
- The harness comes with a D-ring leash attachment point to help you to control your dog.
- The reflective strip keeps you and your pet visible in low light.
5. Embark Adventure Dog Harness
The Embark Adventure harness provides ease of wear for your Bloodhound; adjust once and you’re ready to go. The soft padded harness offers comfort while also not pulling or choking the animal. Designed for adventure, the Emback features 250 times the pulling strength of a traditional harness.
- Two points of adjustment required only once, on the neck and chest.
- The no pull dog harness for large dogs surpasses national pulling strength guidelines by over 100 pounds.
- Embark harnesses feature a no pull front leading leash attachment which has been tripled in strength since the first model.
Bloodhound Dog Harness Buying Guide
Bloodhounds can track someone for miles, that’s what makes this breed such an asset to law enforcement. They also make excellent hunting and tracking dogs. However, if they catch a scent, a Bloodhound will be off and running. And while they are extremely intelligent, a Bloodhound may be slow to train. This breed requires a fence and strong control. In this breed, perhaps even more than others, the Bloodhound requires a durable harness that offers additional features, like training options and reinforced stitching. A regular harness will likely not be strong enough for the Bloodhound. If you’re looking for a harness for your Bloodhound puppy or adult, we suggest you consider following these features.
Multiple points of control, pulling strength
It is imperative that you purchase a harness that offers multiple points of control. This will not only help you take your Bloodhound on a walk, but will also be an essential training device. The best harness, especially when you are working with a Bloodhound puppy–but also for our adults, is a harness that offers two points of control. The first, a D-ring leash attachment near the upper back, offers more control while also distributing the pressure. The second point of control, a D-ring toward the back, is ideal for more casual walks with a Bloodhound that has more training. We love the Embark harness for it’s multiple attachments and pulling strength!
Durable and wear and tear resistant material
The Bloodhound is a powerful dog, who also loves to chew! If your harness is not made of durable material that will not withstand the wear and tear of a dog with boundless energy, it’s likely to fall off–or end up in your Bloodhound’s stomach. Look for harnesses made of durable nylon, like the ExPAWLOR.
The ideal harness for your Bloodhound will have reinforced stitching in order to keep your dog’s harness tight and secure. Because the Bloodhound is powerful, a harness with flimsy sewing can quickly tear. This is also important around the D-ring; the Bloodhound will have no problem pulling you down the street if they catch a scent. And, if they are able to get loose, they will take off after their tempting scent.
Multiple points of adjustment
The Bloodhound breed, along with all other large breeds, is certainly not one size fits all. Look for a harness that offers multiple points of adjustment, especially around the neck and the chest girth. This will ensure the safest fit. Once adjusted, the harness should be able to be easily taken on and off. We love the Gooby harness for this; it offers multiple points of adjustment to make it virtually escape proof.
- Best Leash for Dogs that Pull
- Best Dog Harness
- Best Dog Muzzle
- Best Dog Activity Monitor
- Best Dog Bike Trailer
- Best Dog Stroller
- Best Dog Training Collar
- Best Dog Leash for Running
- Best Dog Food for Bloodhounds
- Best Puppy Food for Bloodhounds
- Best Dog Crate for Bloodhounds
- Best Dog Bed for Bloodhounds
- Best Dog Brush for Bloodhounds
- Best Dog Toys for Bloodhounds
- Best Dog Collar for Bloodhounds
- Best Dog Muzzle for Bloodhounds
- Best Dog Shampoo for Bloodhounds