The confident temperament of the Shetland Sheepdog makes them well enough for the outside world. They require a fair amount of socialization and mental stimulation to keep their mental state intact. These responsive and active working dogs have a common tendency to pull and herd. They cannot resist the urge to run after moving objects, and therefore, the use of the leash becomes a necessity to keep them as well as others safe.
As these small-sized herders have a wider neck than their head, a dog collar might not be the safest option. In such a situation, a dog harness comes to their rescue, and we have come to yours by reviewing the five best dog harness for Shetland Sheepdog.
Best Dog Harnesses for Shetland Sheepdogs
Here are our dog harnesses for Shetland Sheepdogs reviews.
The multi-purpose PetSafe 3 in 1 Reflective Dog Harness is an appropriate choice for evening walks. The reflective nylon material increases its visibility during the dark and keeps your Shetland Sheepdog from getting lost. It is designed to ensure maximum comfort and safety of your Shetland Sheepdog along with discouraging pulling.
- Comes with a back clip as well as a front clip.
- Appropriate for car safety with a car control strap.
- Five adjustment points for a better fit.
Get an aesthetic and stylish training tool for your Sheltie with Chai’s Choice 3M Polyester Reflective Front Clip Dog Harness. While the front clip discourages excessive pulling without any strain over their trachea, the reflective piping keeps your Shetland Sheepdog visible during evening walks. The lightweight mesh material enhances their comfort and padding, disperse the pressure along their chest.
- Adjustable straps with a number of size options for a comfortable fit.
- Nine vibrant colors for customization.
- Provides car safety with an inbuilt handle for attaching seat belts.
With easy step-in design, the Pawtitas Nylon Reflective Back Clip Dog Harness ensures that it is easy to put on and off your Sheltie. A perfect option for day as well as night with reflective nylon straps, which provides maximum visibility in low light conditions. It also takes care of your Shetland Sheepdog’s comfort with neoprene chest padding that reduces the strain along their neck.
- Durable buckle and metal leash ring.
- Adjustable straps for a custom fit.
- Available in multiple color options to suit your Shetland Sheepdog.
With ergonomic foam along the chest strap, the EzyDog Chest Plate Dog Harness is an apt choice for your Sheltie regarding its safety as well as comfort. During excessive pulling, the chest panel redistributes the pressure along their chest rather than their throat. The reflective stitching on the straps ensures your Shetland Sheepdog’s safety by providing visibility during night time strolls.
- Constructed with sturdy nylon material.
- Detachable car restraint that ensures car safety.
- Corrosion-free D-ring to attach the leash.
Get an efficient and stylish training tool for your Shetland Sheepdog with Copatchy No-Pull Reflective Adjustable Dog Harness. This handy design comes with reflective straps that ensure your Shetland Sheepdog’s safety during early morning and night-time walks. The mesh material provides maximum breathability that makes it appropriate for summers as well.
- Added pull-back handle to regain control over your Shetland Sheepdog quickly.
- Sponge filled fabric distributes the pressure along their neck and chest while pulling.
- The clips at the chest and neck make it easy to put the harness on and off.
Dog Harnesses For Shetland Sheepdogs Buyer’s Guide
A dog collar may make these furry and long-coated species lose their hairs extensively. Also, it is not the best option for strong pullers as it can hamper their breathability and cause excessive pressure over their trachea, which may lead to permanent damage. Alternatively, a dog harness redistributes the pressure along their chest and keeps them from straining. But, you might be thinking about the factors that make a particular dog harness suitable for Shelties. To help you out, we have explained the most important factors that must be considered while buying a dog harness for your Shetland Sheepdog.
The higher cost of a harness doesn’t make it the best one. You must prioritize the quality instead of the price. Choose the best quality product available at your budget. A dog harness isn’t usually high on cost, but if it gets out of your budget, you can always take advantage of the discounts provided by the respective sellers.
- No-pull harness: This type of harness prevents maximum pulling when attached to the leash without affecting the coat and trachea of your Shetland Sheepdog. It can either come with a front-clip or a back-clip. Choose a harness with broader and padded straps to reduce the pressure to a larger extent.
- Front clip harness: As the name suggests, this type of harness has the leash attachment on the front side, i.e., along the chest. It shifts the pressure while pulling along their back and provides maximum security to your Sheltie. The dogs tend to move in the direction of their head, and hence, the front clip harnesses allow better control over your Shetland Sheepdog.
- Back clip harness: It has the leash attachment at the back, and hence, a back clip harness is not considered as safe as the front clip ones. We suggest you opt for the front clip harness rather than a back clip design to ensure the maximum safety of your Shetland Sheepdog, especially the untrained ones.
A wrong size will make the harness inefficient in its purpose, whether it is safety or prevention of pulling. If you buy a larger size, your Shetland Sheepdog will easily slip out of it, and if you buy a smaller one, it can cause discomfort and even choke your Shetland Sheepdog. Therefore, it is better to measure your Sheltie before starting your search for a perfect dog harness.
The safety of your Shetland Sheepdog must be your primary concern. The dog harnesses are already the safest option on the leash. But even while selecting a harness, you must make sure that you opt for the perfect size, neither larger nor small. Other things you should take care of are the padded and broader straps for reduced pressure and front clip attachments for no-pressure along their neck or chest.
The extra features acknowledge your additional doubts about whether it is a safe option for your Shetland Sheepdog or not. The padded straps improve comfort. Many dog harnesses come with two leash attachments to customize it according to your needs and comfort. Some are even engineered with reflective nylon material for better visibility during night-time strolls. A few of the harnesses come with car safety design.
- Best Leash for Dogs that Pull
- Best Dog Harness
- Best Dog Muzzle
- Best Dog Activity Monitor
- Best Dog Bike Trailer
- Best Dog Stroller
- Best Dog Training Collar
- Best Dog Leash for Running
- Best Dog Food for Shetland Sheepdogs
- Best Puppy Food for Shetland Sheepdogs
- Best Dog Crate for Shetland Sheepdogs
- Best Dog Bed for Shetland Sheepdogs
- Best Dog Brush for Shetland Sheepdogs
- Best Dog Toys for Shetland Sheepdogs
- Best Dog Collar for Shetland Sheepdogs
- Best Dog Muzzle for Shetland Sheepdogs
- Best Dog Shampoo for Shetland Sheepdogs
- Best Training Book for Shetland Sheepdogs