In our guide, we’ll show you the best dog houses available for keeping your dog safe and comfortable in the winter and highlight the features and benefits of each. In the end, our buyer’s guide will help simplify the task of choosing a dog house.
Best Dog Houses for Winter
Here are our winter dog house reviews.
The Suncast Outdoor Dog House is an all-weather and water-resistant dog house. It is designed with a sloped roof to minimize snow build up. It also has a vinyl door to reduce drafts and heat loss.
- Floor channel to collect and remove liquids, keeping your dog dry
- Constructed from durable hardened plastic
- Available in a small and large size
The Petmate Extreme Weather-Resistant Log Cabin Dog House is a weather-proof cabin-style dog house. It has a protective seal coating to keep moisture out. The slanted asphalt roof facilitates snow and rain runoff.
- Solid wood construction helps insulates against the weather
- The raised floor keeps your dog off the cold ground
- Available in small, medium, large, and giant sizes
The Petmate Barnhome III Dog House is a heavy-duty barn style dog house. It is constructed from durable plastic and has a mold-resistant finish. The dog house assembles quickly and easily from just two pieces.
- Extended roof guard to divert rain and snow
- Interior floor is raised to insulate and keep your dog dry
- Available in 3 sizes, 15-25lbs, 25-50lbs, and 50-90lbs
The Petmate INDIGO W/MICROBAN is an igloo style dog house. The sloped roof prevents the accumulation of snow, and side moats keep your dog dry. It is designed with an offset doorway to shield your dog from rain, snow, and drafts.
- Roof ventilation ensures a constant flow of fresh air
- Microban antimicrobial protection inhibits the growth of odor and stain-causing bacteria
- Available in medium, large, and extra-large sizes
The Confidence Pet Plastic Dog Kennel is a durable plastic dog house. It is designed with a peaked roof to prevent the accumulation of snow. Assembly is easy with the included directions.
- Ramp entrance helps keep the floor dry
- The raised floor helps insulate your dog against cold ground temperatures
- Available in medium, large, and extra-large
The Pets Imperial Insulated Wooden Norfolk Dog Kennel is made from animal-friendly treated timber. The slanted roof design allows snow and rain to run off. The raised floor prevents conducting cold ground temperatures to your dog, keeping them comfortable.
- All panels are constructed with an insulated core
- Adjustablerot-free plastic feet keep the kennel off the ground and level
- Roof opens for easy access and cleaning
The Tangkula Pet Dog House is a wooden cabin style dog house. It is constructed from high-quality fir wood. The high peaked roof has large overhangs and is asphalt-covered for protection against rain and snow.
- Four-legged raised floor prevents penetration of moisture and cold
- The wood is treated with a pet safe and environmentally friendly water-based paint
- Available in 5 sizes from small to extra large
The ASL Solutions Deluxe Insulated Dog Palace with Floor Heater is a premium heated dog house. It is designed with a double-hinged pass-through door. The barn-style roof keeps snow from accumulating.
- Every panel is insulated with between 2” and 4” of foam
- The door is self-closing and insulated
- Designed with six panels that attach with 8 screws so assembly is quick and easy
The AmazonBasics Pet House is a durable plastic dog house. The polypropylene plastic provides lasting protection against the cold. The entryway overhang helps reduce the infiltration of rain and snow.
- Ventilation at the top for optimal air circulation
- Available in a small or large size to fit most dogs
- Simple to set up, as it needs no tools, just snap together
The ASL Solutions DP Hunter Dog House with Floor Heater is a premium heated dog house. It is constructed from rotationally molded plastic. All panels are insulated to protect against the elements.
- Sized for small dogs
- The double-hinged pass-through self-closing door includes a window
- The floor is insulated and raised to keep your dog off of the cold ground
Winter Dog House Buyer’s Guide
When choosing a dog house for winter, you should consider your dog’s size and the severity of the winters that occur in your area.
Many dog houses have a choice in sizes. Some dog houses in our list have between two and five choices available depending on how large or small your dog is. There are also dog houses on either end of the spectrum as well, both being designed for small dogs or large dogs almost exclusively. This will make a difference because obviously, a large dog will not be comfortable or even fit in some of them, while a smaller dog will surely be able to fit in the larger houses, but the extra space will allow more loss of body heat and will not be as effective in keeping them warm or insulating them against the weather.
After sizing concerns have been addressed, you should look at the weather conditions in which you expect your dog to be using the dog house. There are dog houses that are more economical that would suit just fine for milder winters or occasionally cold weather. Conversely, there are dog houses that are much more heavily insulated, and even those with internal electric heat. If your winters get well below freezing or maintain freezing temperatures for extended periods of time, dog houses with features like these would be the optimal choice.
Winter Dog House Review Conclusion
We hope that our guide has helped you to decide what dog house will be the best for your dog in the winter. As long as you take into account the size of the dog you need to house, and what type of weather they’ll need to endure, you will be well-equipped to choose the best dog house for winter.