Playing with your dog by the beach can be a great way to spend the day but if you want to keep your puppy safe, getting a dog life jacket is a good idea. Fortunately, there are plenty of options for you, but this can make the choice much harder. In this guide, we help to narrow down your options by curating the best dog life jackets for your water-loving dogs.
- Comes with dual handles for emergencies
- Front neck float to keep your dog’s head up
- Adjustable release buckles for a comfortable fit
- Bright colors and reflective accents for extra visibility
One of our top picks is the Outward Hound Dog Life Jacket, a high-quality, yet affordable option that comes in a range of sizes to keep all kinds of dogs safe during your water activities. Available in extra-small to extra-large sizes, it can provide a snug fit for dogs with a girth between 11 inches to 44 inches. It features dual handles for quick rescue situations, two waist buckles, and a chest strap to guarantee the right fit, while soft foam panels help your puppy stay afloat.
- With extra padding for strong buoyancy
- A combination of a neck strap and belly strap
- Durable and sturdy grab handle for emergencies
- With quick-release buckles and adjustable straps
If you’re shopping on a budget, then the Vivaglory Dog Life Jacket is a great choice that surely provides value for money. It comes in many colors and sizes, fits dogs with a chest size between 12 inches to 38 inches, and is easy to take off and put on every time. The simple grab handle lets you quickly take your pup out of the water while the useful D-ring allows you to attach a dog leash, offering great features for less.
- Provides 50% more buoyancy compared to other jackets
- Made from foam and heavy-duty polyester
- Comes with a top handle that makes it easier to enter and exit the water
- With chest and belly straps for a secure fit
Your water adventures are made even better with the EzyDog Doggy Life Vest Jacket. Establishing a reputation as a top-performing jacket, it offers as much as 50% more buoyancy compared to traditional vests and will keep your best friend safe and comfortable even in strong currents. It’s also easy to use and comes with strong straps around the belly and the neck for a secure fit, along with a convenient leash attachment.
- Provides high visibility with reflective accents and a bright color
- Comes with 20mm-thick foam for extra buoyancy
- With side-release buckles and adjustable straps for the perfect fit
- A strong handle allows you to pull your pooch out of the water
When you want to go out for a day of fun in the water, make sure to take this Frisco Dog Life Jacket with you. Designed with both safety and flexibility in mind, this canine life jacket comes with 20mm foam panels, a neoprene belly band, and side-release buckles with adjustable straps to give your dog the best fit. Located at the top of the jacket is a strong grab handle, while larger sizes are fitted with two handles, ensuring the safety of your pup in an emergency.
- Can be used as a dog life vest or as a raincoat
- With a D-ring leash point that’s easy to use
- Made from ripstop material and closed-cell foam
- Designed with reflective piping and high-contrast colors
The Kurgo Surf-n-Turf Dog Life Jacket has been designed for use as a life jacket and as a waterproof coat when the foam is removed. Included are two transverse handles for quick extraction and control of your pups when in deep water. You’ll also find additional features such as a metal leash ring when you want to take your pup for a walk, as well as reflective tape and high-contrast color for added safety.
- Low-profile handle for rescue situations without the extra bulk
- Comes with a telescopic neck flotation feature
- Covered buckle closures on all chest straps
- Made with visible colors to increase safety
This durable and high-performance Float Coat jacket was designed by Ruffwear and has been packed with many safety features. Its unique telescoping neck closure allows for a comfortable fit while keeping the neckpiece whole, plus the vest has been designed to allow for maximum movement both on land and on open water. Finally, it comes in many colors and sizes to ensure that every pooch comes home with the right size life jacket.
- Features a cute, fish-tail design for small dogs
- Bright pink color for added visibility and safety
- With a foam neck that has an adjustable strap
- Quick-release buckles for ease of use
Designed to help smaller dogs stay afloat while looking their best, the WOpet Dog Life Jacket is a good choice if you’re working with a bigger budget. Its gorgeous pink color is the perfect fit for dog owners looking to show a bit of flair, where the fishtail feature finishes the look. You’ll find that it’s also highly functional and comes with adjustable straps, a rescue handle, soft fabrics, and a leash ring; it’s suitable for a dog’s girth that’s between 12 to 21 inches.
- Dense foam panels offer much buoyancy
- The red color and reflective strips allow for higher visibility
- Available in many different sizes
- Comes with snap buckles and adjustable straps
Through the ZippyPaws Adventure Dog Life Jacket, you can keep your furry friend safe at all times, and is great for a pup that may not be a great swimmer. It’s also useful for boating trips and for dogs that love to swim until their lungs give out. Made with good-quality foam panels, it also comes with padded handles for assisted swimming, and is available in a variety of sizes, starting from XX-small to X-large.
- Comes in six sizes and two colors
- Has many added safety features
- Leash attachment allows for use on land and in water
- Made from high-quality, heavy-duty nylon
Your fun-loving and energetic dog deserves the best, so be sure that they’re safe and secure with the KONG Sport AquaFloat Dog Flotation Vest. Made from rugged nylon and multiple layers of foam, it delivers maximum buoyancy and a comfortable fit helping your pup become a natural swimmer. Its mesh material quickly drains and dries to protect your canine buddy from the cold water, while quick-release buckles on the dog’s chest, neck, and belly ensure that the life jacket fits.
- Features the official logo patch of the US Army
- Comes with bright yellow accents for better visibility
- Adjustable girth and neck with fasteners
- Has high buoyancy to keep dogs afloat for a long time
Available in a dark camo color, the US ARMY Dog Life Vest allows your dog to go on a wide range of water sports and missions. Its high buoyancy foams and bright yellow materials will keep your dog highly visible even over great distances. Available in small to X-large sizes, this life vest features a reinforced handle, adjustable girth and neck fasteners, and a D-ring where you can directly attach a leash.
- Made from quick-drying neoprene
- More lightweight compared to others
- Can be a good option in warmer climates
- Dual chest straps for more security
Good swimmers with short legs are sure to appreciate this Pet Life Jacket from Paws Aboard, which has been made to be durable and quick-drying while being lightweight and flexible at the same time. It also features a high-quality mesh fabric located below the chest for superior breathability and drainage, making it a good choice even for warmer environments. Created with safety as its main priority, it offers reflective strips, a neck strap with buckle closure, adjustable chest straps, and a grab handle.
- Great for larger dogs up to 41 inches in girth
- Made from tough, 1000 denier Cordura nylon
- With a five-point adjustment system for a custom fit
- Comes with a zippered pocket for your dog’s needs
With a range of sizes from 18 inches (XS) to 41 inches (XL), the NRS CFD Dog Life Jacket provides different options for many breeds. Made using 1000 denier Cordura nylon, it’s both strong and durable, allowing strong swimmers to face anything that may come their way. Its best feature is the five-point adjustment system that comes with two chest straps secured by buckles located at the back for the best fit while allowing your fur baby to move freely without any mobility issues.
Best Features in Dog Life Jackets
Before deciding on the best life jacket for your pooch, make sure that you know what to look for and assess how they can give you the best value for money.
Before spending money on any kind of product, make sure that you know the size that will fit your dog best. Check for your dog’s chest measurements and weight — you may also want to find out about neck circumference and body length if you’re looking for specific jackets. Compare these measurements to a size chart to find out the right fit for your canine pal, or look for options that allow for adjustments to help ensure that your dog will have the right fit.
Even if your dogs are excellent swimmers, the primary reason to purchase dog life jackets is to ensure that they stay afloat, so look for options that will provide balance floatation. A good life jacket will come with front, side, and bottom panels to allow for swimming motions that flow naturally. Some options will also come with a floating panel for the neck to keep a short snout out of the water.
Many dog jackets will be made from ripstop nylon with bold and striking colors because they improve durability and visibility. If your puppy is in the water, their life jacket will make it easier to see them, and reflective strips can help further boost their visibility at night. When looking for a great dog life jacket, make sure that they come with reflective material and are made from durable materials, while useful features include a loop fastener, belly buckles, and even a shark fin.
Handle and D-ring
Looking for dog life jackets with a D-ring and a grab handle is a great idea since they can be useful in emergency situations. Be sure that you look for options that can support the weight of your pup and that you test it before going into the water. You may also use the D-ring to attach a leash during times when you want to stay on land and go for a walk instead of diving into the pool or heading for the beach.
A good reason to purchase dog life jackets is to support older dogs or those who aren’t good swimmers. But before you get one, make sure that choose an option that’s secure and comfortable while providing plenty of functional and safety features. Another thing to consider is whether or not it will provide a proper fit, so be sure to take measurements of your best friend ahead of time. By having the right dog life jackets, both you and your pal can enjoy day after day by the water, knowing that you’re both safe and sound.