Originally bred as a cross between herding dogs and Australian dingoes, the Australian Cattle Dog is known for its endurance and its intelligence. They are highly effective at herding cattle and were trained originally to herd animals by biting at their heels.
Even as pets they sometimes will nip at a person or a child who is running from them, so many owners of Australian Cattle Dogs have a muzzle for their dog to use during training and in crowded areas. The right muzzle should be comfortable enough not to dig into the dog’s skin or impair running but should fit well enough so the dog cannot open its mouth more than an inch.
Best Dog Muzzles for Australian Cattle Dogs
Here are our Australian Cattle Dog muzzle reviews.
The Baskerville Ultra muzzle can be totally customized to for your dog with its unique heat shaping capabilities. Additionally, the muzzle is available in multiple sizes for all dogs. The dog is able to breathe, pant and drink while wearing this device.
- The Baskerville Ultra Muzzle can be heat-shaped to fit your dog’s unique shape and size.
- Available in variety of sizes. Safari grooming tools are easy to use for every coat type.
- Humanely designed to allow dogs to pant, eat/drink while the muzzle is on.
The Softie muzzle is made of lightweight nylon sides and front mesh that allow for easy breathing. Plus, the quick adjust collar allows for easy removal and quick placement. The muzzle is also tear resistant and washable.
- Lightweight nylon sides and front mesh offer comfort for the dog and also allows dogs to breath and pant easily.
- Constructed of durable nylon material that is washable and tear resistant.
- Softie muzzle easily slips onto a dog’s face with an adjustable nylon back strap.
The FOMATE acts as a muzzle and a training device. The adjustable straps are also embossed with reflective material that make you and your pet visible in low lights. An attached D-ring supports training.
- The FOMATE is designed with individual adjustable sections that offer a comfortable fit.
- Straps are embossed with highly reflective material.
- Easy to use lead D-ring that allows for training and behavior discipline.
The Wintchuk muzzle features a special nose strap that prevents the dog from removing it with its paw. Available in seven sizes, the wintchuk has a muzzle for virtually any pet. Plus, the adjustable straps allow for adjustment to any snout length.
- The special nose strap prevents the dog from removing with its paw.
- Available in seven sizes.
- The length is adjustable with a quick release buckle.
The Crazy Felix Nylon muzzle features reinforced stitching and a breathable mesh muzzle. With adjustable straps at the snout and neck, the Crazy Felix can be adjusted to fit whatever snout and size. And, the ergonomic design and head strap ensures a secure fit.
- Constructed with reinforced nylon stitching and non-sticky breathable mesh.
- Adjustable at snout and neck strap.
- Safety strapping ensures muzzle will remain securely in place, had added secure lock-on buckle.
Australian Cattle Dog Muzzle Buyer’s Guide
As part of the shepherd class of working dogs, Australian Cattle Dogs are naturally very active and will get the most out of walks and playtime. Because they want to run so much, it’s critical that any muzzle they wear lets them breathe and pant so they can cool their bodies down. Look for muzzles that have breathable mesh over the dog’s mouth and an opening to allow the dog to drink water.
Locking or safety buckle
Any Australian Cattle Dog owner will tell you that the dog breed is listed as one of the world’s 10 smartest dogs, so a simple catch or buckle on the muzzle may not prove much of a problem for the dog to remove if it doesn’t like it. The right muzzle for this dog should have the buckle behind the neck, or have a belt-style safety attachment.
Partly because they are so smart, Australian Cattle Dogs respond positively to training and discipline. A leash ring on the muzzle can be an invaluable training device to teach your dog to heel, or to look at you when they become nervous.
Australian Cattle Dogs love to be out in all weathers, and will certainly get wet and muddy. Make sure that your muzzle is washable and adjustable, because nylon–the material of most humane muzzles–will stretch when wet.
- Best Leash for Dogs that Pull
- Best Dog Harness
- Best Dog Muzzle
- Best Dog Activity Monitor
- Best Dog Bike Trailer
- Best Dog Stroller
- Best Dog Training Collar
- Best Dog Leash for Running
- Best Australian Cattle Dog Essentials, Accessories, and Toys
- Best Dog Food for Australian Cattle Dogs
- Best Dog Crate for Australian Cattle Dogs
- Best Dog Bed for Australian Cattle Dogs
- Best Dog Brush for Australian Cattle Dogs
- Best Dog Toys for Australian Cattle Dogs
- Best Dog Collar for Australian Cattle Dogs
- Best Dog Harness for Australian Cattle Dogs
- Best Dog Shampoo for Australian Cattle Dogs