Many owners therefore conduct initial training with muzzles as a way to ensure safety and help their Australian Shepherd become more social. When choosing a muzzle for an Australian Shepherd, it must be comfortable and fit without cutting into the dog’s skin or impairing the ability to run, but should fit well enough so the dog cannot open its mouth more than an inch.
Best Dog Muzzles for Australian Shepherds
Here are our Australian Shepherd dog muzzle reviews.
The Four Paws Walkabout has durable construction and is machine washable. And, as it is available in seven sizes, there’s a size that will fit nearly any pet. This muzzle eliminates the biting but allows for panting and breathability.
- Made of durable nylon and is completely machine washable.
- Available in 7 different sizes
- Allows panting and drinking.
The Idepet set comes with five muzzles to ensure a comfortable fit for your dog. Made of Oxford cloth, the muzzles are waterproof and very easy to wash. Plus, the adjustable straps allow for customization.
- Five different sizes in each set.
- Constructed of waterproof Oxford cloth.
- Features an adjustable strap and quick release buckle.
The SlowTon nylon muzzle is made of durable nylon and wrapped in flannel for ultimate comfort. Reflective material is attached to the adjustable straps for comfort. The muzzle has a loop to attach to the leash to keep it securely in place.
- Slowton dog muzzle is wrapped around soft flannel padding
- The adjustable loop on the neck part is designed to attach to collar and keep the muzzle securely in place.
- Muzzle uses reflective stripes to ensure safety.
The BRONZEDOG is a highly-durable muzzle constructed of stainless steel with interior padding for comfort. The comfortable shape covers the dog’s mouth, but still allows for breathability. And with four adjustable straps, you can be sure for a secure fit.
- Constructed from durable stainless steel with soft interior padding.
- Equipped with four adjusting straps.
- Comfortable shape basket dog muzzle allows unrestricted nose licking.
The PET ARTIST muzzle is made of high-quality leather. With three adjustable straps, the muzzle stays in place. The all-around protection eliminates biting, but is still breathable to allow for panting and drinking.
- Three PET ARTIST has three strong straps ensure the muzzle always remains securely in place.
- Constructed of genuine leather material and features strong buckles.
- The padded dog muzzle applies reflective stripes
Australian Shepherd Dog Muzzle Buyer’s Guide
The loyalty and protectiveness of Australian Shepherds may make a muzzle necessary during training. Muzzle-wearing, however, doesn’t need to be a bad experience for either the dog or the owner. Look for the following feature of muzzles for Australian Cattle Dogs.
Australian Shepherds like to run, and will need to be able to do so (and pant!) while wearing their muzzle. If the dog cannot pant, it may overheat, especially with the beautiful long coat common to Australian Shepherds. The best muzzles for this dog have breathable mesh covering the dog’s mouth and permit the dog to drink water.
A strong buckle.
As active dogs, Australian shepherds put their muzzles through a lot. They may snag on branches and furniture, and the dog may paw at it especially when first becoming accustomed. The most secure muzzles have safety buckles located where the dog cannot reach, such as the back of the neck..
Because they are very smart dogs, Australian Shepherds respond well to training and discipline. Accessories like a leash ring on the muzzle permit the owner to show the dog exactly where he/she wants it to go when training it to heel or to herd. Other accessories include ways to mark the muzzle with the dog’s name or a phone number.
Easy to clean.
The muzzle of an active Australian Shepherd will certainly get muddy and dirty, so it needs to be easy to clean! Look for muzzles that are machine washable for the easiest care, and make sure that the muzzle is easily adjusted, because all nylon muzzles will stretch when wet.
- Best Leash for Dogs that Pull
- Best Dog Harness
- Best Dog Muzzle
- Best Dog Activity Monitor
- Best Dog Bike Trailer
- Best Dog Stroller
- Best Dog Training Collar
- Best Dog Leash for Running
- Best Australian Shepherd Essentials, Accessories, and Toys
- Best Dog Food for Australian Shepherds
- Best Dog Crate for Australian Shepherds
- Best Dog Bed for Australian Shepherds
- Best Dog Brush for Australian Shepherds
- Best Dog Toys for Australian Shepherds
- Best Dog Collar for Australian Shepherds
- Best Dog Harness for Australian Shepherds
- Best Dog Shampoo for Australian Shepherds
- Best Puppy Food for Australian Shepherds