While we love their energetic nature, they easily become destructive if starved of some activity. And this may mean an aggressive dog around strangers or other pets. We’ve picked out five dog muzzles we think may suit your GSP.
Best Dog Muzzle for German Shorthaired Pointers
Here is our dog muzzle for German shorthaired pointers review.
This Baskerville Ultra Muzzle is an all-time favorite as it allows your dog pant, eat, drink, and munch on treats while it’s on. It also has a soft neoprene lining to help prevent over-heating.
- Optional over-head strap for added security
- Collar attachment loop
- Basket-styled webbing
The Four Paws Quick Fit Dog Muzzle is an excellent choice for your German shorthaired pointer when you want something timeless but functional. It is difficult for your dog to paw out by itself, and allows for panting and drinking water with ease. You’ll also find its adjustable straps to be a plus.
- Fully adjustable straps for a convenience
- Washable nylon
- Soft material to prevent friction and skin irritation
This Viper Bravo Leather Agitation muzzle is an excellent idea if you’re seeking for aesthetic appeal as well as utility. It is of full-grain leather, yet it manages to be soft. Its sides have reinforcements to ensure that no amount of tugging and pulling by your canine will make it lose shape.
- Leather-covered bar and reinforced sides
- Well ventilated construction to prevent over-heating
- Quick-release buckle
While we understand your reluctance about metal muzzles, this Dean and Tyler Wire Basket Muzzle settle all of your fears for metal muzzles. Its sturdy wiring provides for maximum ventilation and allows your pet to breathe freely, pant, and drink water. It also features a padded nose piece that won’t graze against your pointer’s already prominent nose.
- Designed to prevent the biting, chewing of unwanted objects
- Allows for proper ventilation
- Sturdy wiring to prevent being pawed off
The Downtown Pet Supply Quick Fit Muzzle makes our list for its durable nylon fabric, soft inner lining, and general comfortable fit. It comes with adjustable straps and allows for drinking and panting comfortably.
- Quick-release buckle
- Adjustable straps
- Strong and durable nylon fabric
Dog Muzzle for Shorthaired Pointers Buyer’s Guide
While we’ve introduced you to some of our top picks for a muzzle, we’ll also guide you through what you need to know about German Shorthaired Pointer muzzles.
Generally, there are five types of muzzles; the plastic basket muzzle. This is our favorite as it aids optimum ventilation. The leather muzzle, the soft muzzle which may cause overheating as it doesn’t allow for proper breathing. There’s the grooming/mesh/ fabric muzzle.
This type should only be used for short periods as the material constrains your dog from drinking, eating, and even panting. Finally, there’s the metal basket muzzle. Whichever type you get, ensure you get the proper fit as if it is too small, it may constrain proper breathing and cause over-heating. If it is too large, it may be pawed out by your pet easily.
To get accurate fit, measure your dog’s snout from its eyes to the tip of his nose. Proper size should also allow for perfect airflow, drinking, panting, and breathing.
Another thing to consider is the material it is made of, especially the interior as you don’t want a material that creates friction with its nose, or irritation for an already distressed dog.
You want to get a muzzle while grooming your pointer on its social skills and by various conditioning techniques. This is important as if it ever happens that your pet paws off its muzzle, a threatening dog will remain just that- threatening! Proper training and a muzzle will ensure that others are safe around your German shorthaired pointer.
- Best Leash for Dogs that Pull
- Best Dog Harness
- Best Dog Muzzle
- Best Dog Activity Monitor
- Best Dog Bike Trailer
- Best Dog Stroller
- Best Dog Training Collar
- Best Dog Leash for Running
- Best Dog Food for German Shorthaired Pointers
- Best Puppy Food for German Shorthaired Pointers
- Best Dog Crate for German Shorthaired Pointers
- Best Dog Bed for German Shorthaired Pointers
- Best Dog Brush for German Shorthaired Pointers
- Best Dog Toys for German Shorthaired Pointers
- Best Dog Collar for German Shorthaired Pointers
- Best Dog Harness for German Shorthaired Pointers
- Best Dog Shampoo for German Shorthaired Pointers