Dog muzzles are an essential means of training a Newfoundland. While some muzzles may be too rough for its gentle snout, there are others that are comfortable for continued usage. These muzzles are useful in grooming, washing, and training Newfoundlands. If you have to leave your Newfoundland unattended for a while, it’s best to leave the muzzle on. Here are some high-quality muzzles you can easily find anywhere:
Best Dog Muzzles for Newfoundlands
Here are our Newfoundland dog muzzle reviews.
For those looking for a soft, daily use muzzle, this one from Dogs My Love is a perfect match. It’s made with top quality, soft, and lightweight materials, including sponge and plastic. The muzzle doesn’t snag and is good for regular wear.
- Adjustable snouts.
- Lined with soft padding.
- Cold-resistant snap buckle.
Basket muzzles, such as this one from Dean and Tyler, are more equipped for dog training and invigilation. They’re specially designed for large breeds, including Newfoundland.
- Full ventilation for outdoor use and exercising.
- Prevents chewing, biting, and incessant licking.
- High-quality leather and metal mesh basket.
In case your Newfoundland barks too much, this muzzle from Four Flags can help. It is designed for temporary use and prevents your dog from opening its mouth too much. If you want to avoid a bark training collar, you can choose this muzzle.
- Water and dirt resistant.
- Durable nylon cloth.
- Efficient muzzle closure.
Some Newfoundlands can be surprisingly pretty aggressive. If you’ve encountered one, you may try this leather mesh muzzle from Dogs My Love. It’s an appropriate measure for preventing Newfoundlands from barking and biting.
- Genuine, non-toxic, and lightweight leather.
- Full ventilation.
- Secure fit. It doesn’t remove easily.
If leather and metal mesh muzzles are an extreme option for your Newfoundland, you’d be satisfied with this silicone muzzle. This Fertgo Dog Muzzle is perfect for anti-chewing and anti-bark training.
- Breathable, soft silicone design.
- Perfect for shorter snouts.
- Adjustable nylon straps.
Newfoundland Dog Muzzle Buyer’s Guide
As your Newfoundland starts learning to bark and chew, it becomes a nuisance. If you fail to train your young Newfoundland to behave itself, you’re in for big trouble. A high-quality muzzle for Newfoundland is the only way to avoid something like that. Since Newfoundlands also grow up to become a giant breed, you’ll often need to change their muzzles according to size. Here’s a brief breakdown of how you can choose the right muzzle for your Newfoundland dog.
Dog muzzles for young and older dogs vary in size. While purchasing a muzzle for your Newfoundland, focus carefully on the given size chart. Newfoundlands generally wear muzzles between medium and large sizes.
To find the correct muzzle, measure the following parts of your Newfoundland:
- Measure its snout size. Newfoundlands have a short, flat snout, so it needs a muzzle small in length. Measure the length from your Newfoundland’s eye-line to the tip of its nose. Moreover, note the width and height of the snout as well. Consequently, make sure you purchase a muzzle with a shorter front part.
- Calculate the neck and snout circumference. Most muzzles have adjustable straps located in these two parts, so it’s important you get the size that fits well. Also, be sure to leave a half-inch space so that the muzzle doesn’t choke your Newfoundland.
A second point you should factor in is the type of material and its quality. Newfoundlands are generally very vulnerable. If you get something that’s too tough for their sensitive coat and skin, your Newfoundland won’t be able to complain. It’s better to not be so oblivious in this regard. Instead, verify the material quality for any muzzle you buy. The common few types available out there include these:
- Rubber muzzles: these are popular for anti-chew dog training. Rubber muzzles are slightly tougher than other muzzles and are usable on aggressive Newfoundlands.
- Silicone muzzles: for Newfoundlands who are in dire need of behavior counseling, but have sensitive skin, silicone material is more convenient.
- Wire mesh: wire mesh muzzles are available in cloth material, such as nylon, and metal mesh. For tame and playful Newfoundlands, the former is a better option, while the latter suits more energetic and uncontrollable Newfoundlands.
- Best Leash for Dogs that Pull
- Best Dog Harness
- Best Dog Muzzle
- Best Dog Activity Monitor
- Best Dog Bike Trailer
- Best Dog Stroller
- Best Dog Training Collar
- Best Dog Leash for Running
- Best Dog Food for Newfoundlands
- Best Puppy Food for Newfoundlands
- Best Dog Crate for Newfoundlands
- Best Dog Bed for Newfoundlands
- Best Dog Brush for Newfoundlands
- Best Dog Toys for Newfoundlands
- Best Dog Collar for Newfoundlands
- Best Dog Harness for Newfoundlands
- Best Dog Shampoo for Newfoundlands