And, while a Shih Tzu bite is unlikely, if your pet exhibits extreme anxiety or territorial behavior when out with other dogs, getting groomed or at the vet, a muzzle may be necessary to protect the safety of all. However, because of the Shih Tzus short snout, it’s imperative you select the right muzzle for your pet. These are our top five muzzles for Shih Tzus.
Best Dog Muzzles for Shih Tzus
Here are our Shih Tzu dog muzzle reviews.
1. Canine Friendly Short Snout Dog Muzzle
The Canine Friendly Short Snout is made specifically for dogs like the Shih Tzu that have a shorter snout type. This muzzle is made with an adjustable slider and easy to use side clip. As with all muzzles on short snout dogs, this should only be worn for a short time.
- Canine friendly features an easy to use side release buckle.
- Canine friendly is made from breathable mesh and durable nylon.
- Soft bumpers prevent the mesh from rubbing on the eyes.
2. TANDD Short Snout Dog Muzzle
The TANDD muzzle is made for safety and an attractive design. This muzzle is made specifically for the short snouted dogs like Shih Tzus. Dogs will not be able to eat in this muzzle or snap or bite.
- This dog muzzle is made from environmentally-friendly PVC material.
- The fabric is soft and wear-resistant.
- The three-hold design does not hinder your pet’s vision.
3. JYHY Short Snout Dog Muzzles
The JYHY short snout muzzle is designed for short-nosed dogs that are not suitable for traditional muzzles. This muzzle is constructed from breathable mesh and durable nylon. This will prevent your Shih Tzu from snacking or snapping!
- Made with an adjustable strap for easier fit.
- A quick release buckle helps you safely place on and remove the muzzle.
- Ideal for dogs like Shih Tzus with hard to fit snouts.
4. Short Snout Dog Muzzles
The short snout dog muzzle is made to comfortably fit your Shih Tzu’s face and prevent negative behavior. The design of this muzzle allows for visibility and maximum breathability. The mask is also lightweight and will not weigh down the dog.
- Constructed from breathable mesh.
- Designed with an adjustable and quick release buckle.
- The soft edges protect the delicate area around your Shih Tzu’s eyes.
5. Pro Guard Mesh Dog Muzzle for Short Nose
The Pro Guard Mesh muzzle is designed for dogs with or without breathing issues. This mask curbs aggressive behavior while also allowing for proper ventilation. This is ideal for professional groomers, or anyone that wishes to eliminate the potential for negative behavior.
- This features a cushion strip under the chin.
- There is also a quick slip adjustable strap.
- The mask is made out of breathable mesh.
Shih Tzu Dog Muzzle Buyer’s Guide
It is fairly uncommon to put a muzzle on a Shih Tzu, but some Shih Tzus can get fairly aggressive if their territory is challenged or if they are injured. If then, it may be necessary to put a muzzle on your Shih Tzu. In other instances, a Shih Tzu may need to be muzzled if they get aggressive during a grooming appointment. However, because of the Shih Tzu’s delicate snout, the dog may have breathing issues. This is why it is critical you are careful when selecting your dog’s muzzle. There are certain things you must consider before purchasing a muzzle.
Specific to Shih Tzus
The Shih Tzu has a very different and delicate face shape; it is imperative that the muzzle that you purchase is made specifically for animals with short snouts. Otherwise, you can cause great injury to your pet. Look for a muzzle that is more rounded and fits over your pet’s unique snout.
The muzzle may initially cause anxiety in your pet, so it is important that the muzzle you chose allows for ample breathing and panting. Without it, your pet may get overwhelmed and injure themselves. Make certain that the muzzle you are looking at allows for your pet to open his or her jaws safely.
Non Toxic materials
Because the muzzle will be close to your pet’s face, look for muzzles that are made of non-toxic materials and durable materials that can withstand chewing.
Ensure that your muzzle fits through multiple points of adjustment. Without this, the muzzle could get dislodged and your Shih Tzu could get injured or injure someone else. Look for adjustable straps near the chin and around the sides of the face. These will create the most secure fit.
- Best Dog Grooming Clippers
- Best Dog Grooming Table
- Best Vacuum for Dog Hair
- Best Dog Bath Tubs
- Best Dog Brush
- Best Dog Hair Dryer
- Best Dog Grooming Gloves
- Best Dog Brushes for Long Hair
- Best Soft Bristle Dog Brush
- Best Wired Dog Brush
- Best Dog Food for Shih Tzus
- Best Puppy Food for Shih Tzus
- Best Dog Crate for Shih Tzus
- Best Dog Bed for Shih Tzus
- Best Dog Brush for Shih Tzus
- Best Dog Toys for Shih Tzus
- Best Dog Collar for Shih Tzus
- Best Dog Harness for Shih Tzus
- Best Dog Shampoo for Shih Tzus