The best dog playpen doesn’t seem like an important addition to your list of canine essentials, until you discover your perfectly manicured turf grass decimated by your puppy’s claws.
On a bad day, your exquisite, expensive woodwork can be at the receiving end of your pet’s energy expending needs.
A playpen keeps them contained. It gives them a limited but sufficient space to play around, keeping your furniture and lawn safe from potential damage.
Despite being one of the simplest pet products, playpens are available in a mind-boggling variety of designs, sizes and configurations.
Here’s some help.
Best Dog Playpens
Even the sneakiest, escape artist would have their task cut out trying to break their way out of this.
The simple, wireframe design makes it a breeze to install. Also, this keeps things bright and airy, just the way doggies like it.
Easy to secure
The Midwest Foldable playpen consists of 8, interconnecting metal wire panels. Each panel stands 36-inches tall and 24-inches wide, giving your pet a total play area of 16-square feet.
8-ground anchors and corner stabilizers keep it grounded and secured. It won’t tip over even on a windy day or with your dog pushing against it. The hardware included in the package is plastic. But the quality is excellent.
The panels are coated with a protective e-coat finish that keeps it impervious to rust. However, we recommend that you store it indoors after use. It collapses down completely flat to a compact size after all.
Multiple-size and color options
The playpen is available in a five size increments. The smallest size for small dogs measures 24”x24” (each panel) whereas the largest-size measures 24” x 48”.
Also, you can choose a door-less design or one with two doors. The doored design allows you or your kids easy access to the playpen without having to disconnect one of the panels.
You can also choose from an all-black version or a golden-zinc one. Comes with a one-year warranty.
- Easy to install and fold after use
- 8 interconnecting panels
- 8 ground stakes and thumb-snaps
- Rust resistant Black e-coat finish or Gold-zinc finish
- Available in Five sizes and two colors
- Great customer reviews all over
- Attractive price tag
Allows you to get along with your household chores without a rambunctious puppy running amok in the house.
Sturdy, plastic construction
We know exactly what just popped up in your mind. How can a plastic playpen withstand the constant pushing and battering that an energetic pup can subject it to?
Don’t let the unassuming design fool you. This is an incredibly sturdy unit. The plastic panels are thick and stay grounded. Unless you have a battering ram for a pet, this should easily hold up and keep your them contained.
It weighs just 21 lbs. So, it’s easy to move outdoors if need be.
While the manufacturer recommended way of installation is to form an octagon, you can actually connect it just about any way that you want to. A square, rectangle, it can be arranged in just about any shape that works for you.
Easy installation, door for quick access
The IRIS playpen features slide-in rods that make it extremely easy to assemble and dismantle. Just lift the rods to disconnect the panels and fold them away for storage or for transport.
There have been a few complaints about the caps for these connecting rods falling off. Just use some glue and they should be fine.
Accessing the playpen is easy because doesn’t have a roof. You can scoop off puppy litter or refill the water bottle with ease. Also, it features a double-latched door that allows your pet to bound outside easily when it’s time for a break.
- Lightweight but sturdy playpen
- 21-sqaure feet play area for your pets
- Best suited for small dogs and puppies
- Easy installation and dismantling
- Double-latched door for quick access
- Can be installed in just about any shape
- Budget priced unit
This is the soft, playpen from Esk Collection that creates a meshed, all-enclosed, play/containment area for small dog breeds or puppies.
It has a protective fabric covering with see-through windows on all sides. Zippered walls keep the puppy from clawing or chewing their way out and you can keep an eye on them all the time. A win-win for everybody.
Set up in two minutes
Setting up this puppy playpen is as easy as attaching the zippered top and bottom panels. The sides pop out into shape pretty easily. Most customers are able to get this ready in just about two minutes.
Ditto with tearing it down for storage.
Once collapsed, it neatly tucks into the travel tote that’s included in the package. Makes for a great, portable dog playpen.
It stands 24” tall which more than suffices for puppies, small breeds and cats.
Most pet parents are concerned about their puppies tipping this over or chewing their way through the mesh. Not possible. The fabric is incredibly durable and can easily withstand normal attempts at chewing.
Zippered sides keep the puppy tucked in
A lot of the initial dog playpens had Velcro on the top and bottom panels to make it easier to attach and remove. However, it didn’t take long for puppies to figure out a way to escape. So, Esk Collection has replaced the Velcro with metallic zippers. This will be impossible to break out of. Also, you can just unzip the bottom panel if you are installing the playpen in the lawn.
Access to the inside of the play area is through two zippered doors and gives you ample room to refill the water or remove the litter box (for cats).
If you have a small dog breed or cat that needs to be contained while you can keep an eye on them, there’s no better choice.
- Compact, puppy playpen with roof
- See-through mesh walls and sunroof
- Zippered doors on the sides for easy access
- Removable and washable bottom panel
- Waterproof fabric
- Easy to install
The Pet Trex 8 Panel Pen Exercise Playpen is a great aid for potty-training a puppy. It is a budget-priced playpen that sets up fast and keeps your puppy confined inside until they are ready to be taken outside for potty time.
8, lightweight, interconnecting metal panels come together to complete what is a simple, but effective design.
Durable, metal construction
The panels are made of tough stainless steel wireframe and feature a protective Electro-Coat finish that keeps it from rusting. It is rated for use with puppies that are up to 40 pounds and at a price tag that’s at least 50% less than the nearest competition, it offers phenomenal value.
Slide bolt latches make set up a cakewalk. Just slide in the rods and the panels lock into place.
However, the gauge of the steel isn’t the heaviest that we have seen. It is very durable, mind you. But may not be as heavy as the Midwest one in this list.
If your puppy leans against it a lot, it might deform the shape of the interconnected octagon or rectangle, whatever the shape that you have set it up with. That’s not a biggie. And an easy workaround would be to secure the panels using some extra cable ties.
Also, standing 24”x 24” per panel, the Pet Trex barely suffices for a puppy that’s a few weeks old at best. If you feel that an upgrade might be required sooner than you expect to, then you can opt for the 30-inch version instead.
Doggy door with Double latches
A convenient doggy door gives you access to the inside of the cage and allows the puppy to get in and out pretty easily.
The door features a heavy duty stainless steel double-latch that thwarts breakout attempts.
When not in use, the Pet trex dog exercise pen stores flat and can easily be stored in a corner of the house.
- Budget-priced playpen
- Metal panels with weatherproof coating
- Double steel latch on the door
- Available in two sizes, 24-inches and 30-inches
- Panels that can be interconnected to form any shape
This playpen for dogs is identical to the #3 pick in this list of best dog playpens, the Esk Collection model. However, this one stands 32-inches tall. That’s at least 8-inches taller than any other competition.
If you feel that your puppy has a future in the NBA and might outgrow the 24-inch height a lot sooner than you imagine, then this one from Elitefield might be better bet.
Roomy dog exercise pen with a roof
There’s plenty of room for your puppy to move around inside this playpen. This means that for puppies being toilet trained, there’s ample room to add potty pads and water bottles.
The removable bottom surface is waterproof and there are two layers of overlapping zippers protecting it. This ensures that nothing spills out of it.
You can install this indoors on hardwood or carpet without any worries whatsoever. If you are venturing outside, four ground stakes keep you covered.
The fabric and the construction is top-notch. It can easily withstand the abuse that comes with rambunctious puppies trying to be contained.
Mesh doors all around
There’s nothing more important than keeping an eye on your puppy at all times, even when they are inside playpens. The see-through mesh walls on the sides give you the much desired peace of mind about the safety of your little ones.
This also ensures that your puppy can watch you at all times from the airy and bright confines of their new play area.
Sets up and collapses in the blink of an eye and extremely easy to move around the house if need be.
- Cheap, dog play pen with a roof
- 32” high side walls
- Removable bottom and top panels
- Waterproof fabric
- Spill proof design
- Bright and airy due to mesh side walls
- Easy to install and collapse
- Ground stakes for outdoor use
Here are the other models we considered in our dog playpen reviews:
The Hepeng Pet Carrier and Kennel takes just moments to open and is constructed of durable material. This case is lightweight, waterproof and breathable. Set up is easy and takes seconds.
- Easy assembly; takes only seconds to set up.
- High-quality Oxford coated denier material that is waterproof and breathable.
- Comes with carrying case and collapsible pet bowl.
This playpen is available in three heights, 20″, 32″ and 40,” while all pen gates are 30 feet square feet. The Paws and Pals dog fence is very durable and is constructed from rust free material. The folding metal fence features easy set up and collapses quickly when ready to put away.
- Customize your height; pen is roomy with 30 square feet.
- Safe edges prevent your pet from being injured on a sharp corner.
- Easy set up and take down requires no tools.
The Parkland Pet Playpen sets up in seconds and is portable. A zipper on the top provides easy access. Made of durable material, this small playpen is appropriate for indoor or outdoor use.
- Simple set up; takes only seconds to pop open and shape the playpen.
- Extremely lightweight and ideal for travel.
- Zipper on the top allows or quick and easy access.
Available in three sizes and five different colors, the PicassoTiles playpen is customizable to your pet and your preferences. There are four entries for easy access. A special mesh cover provides continual air flow.
- 4 zippered entries with velcro with easy access and easy closure.
- Includes steel wire mesh panels to maximize visibility and air flow.
- Includes a travel bag for extra portability.
The IRIS four sided playpen can be customized in different colors. It is made of durable material, and provides eight feet of play space. Additional panels may be purchased to create a larger play space.
- Made of durable, recycled material, the IRIS playpen comes in multiple colors.
- The playpen measures 35.6″W x 35.6″W x 23.6″H. Each panel measures 33.6”W x 1.5”D x 23.6”H
- The IRIS playpen allows for 8 square feet of play.
The Furhaven is an indoor and outdoor play pen. Made of mesh material, it provides breathability and air flow. The Furhaven Pet Playpen comes in three colors: grey, hunter green and sailor blue.
- Easy to store and easy to open; the Furhaven can be assembled in seconds.
- Easy to clean material.
- Secure and comfortable, Furhaven Pet Playpen comes in three colors.
The EXPAWLORER Portable Playpen is breathable and portable for your and your pet’s comfort. No assembly required, this playpen pops open in seconds and is easy to store and carry. Teh EXPAWLORER comes in two colors: pink and brown
- No assembly required and easy storage in seconds.
- Despite portability, the EXPAWLORER has roomy dimensions 16″ high, 26″ in diameter.
- The mesh material is easy to carry and lightweight; can be stored virtually anywhere.
- Customize to two sizes for small or larger dogs, both include eight panels for roomy experience.
- Secure double latch access keeps your pet secure.
- Durable, electro-coat finish is rust-proof for indoor and outdoor use.
The ABO Gear Dog Playpen offers a spacious experience with 36″ in diameter and 23″ in height. The open mesh sides allow for maximum airflow. Appropriate for indoor or outdoor use, the ABO Gear Dog Playpen is easy to clean.
- Easy to install, eight panel design.
- Durable, waterproof material is easy to clean and wash.
- Pop up assembly installs in seconds.
This large, sturdy playpen features 16 panels that can house multiple pets. The durable, rust proof material allows for indoor, as well as outdoor use. The ZENY playpen is easy to assemble and requires no tools.
- The ZENY panel contains 16 rust proof panels for maximum space.
- Easy fold down design makes set up simple and tool-free and disassembly and storage very simple.
- The ZENY pet playpen features 66.52 square feet of enclosed area for pets.
Easy to assemble with the extra security of cable ties, the Tespo Pet Playpen offers space for your pet to explore. Anti-slip pieces prevent the locks from sliding to the floor. Provides a maximum of 20 square feet with customizable design.
- Easy to assemble with illustrated instructions and cable tie security.
- Design allows for personal customization of over 20 square feet.
- Create foldable fences and doors with included anti-slip design.
With eight different designs and eight sizes, the EliteField 2-Door Soft Pet Playpen is totally customizable. Two doors provide easy access, both can be locked for security. It also features a washable floor mat .
- Two doors provides easy access and locks for extra security.
- Lightweight, washable material provides easy assembly.
- Totally customizable in eight colors and eight sizes .
Eight rust proof panels connect to create 16 square feet of playspace. Customizable of five different heights, the AmazonBasics Pet Playpen can come with a door or no door. Sets up in seconds and very easy to store.
- The AmazonBasics Pet Playpen is customizable in five different heights.
- Easy set up with no tools required; collapses for easy storage.
- Includes 8 ground anchors for extra stability during outdoor use.
- Lockable door made of durable plastic.
- Portable, lightweight and easy to assemble and store.
- Skid resistant pads make it safe for floors.
The Pawdle Deluxe Portable Playpen assembles in seconds and is extremely lightweight. Made of durable materials with reinforced stitching, the Pawdle Deluxe comes in three colors: red, blue and green. Additional storage pockets allow you to store treats, bags, etc.
- High-quality materials with reinforced stitching provides extra durability.
- Washable material is appropriate for indoor and outdoor use.
- Extra material, stakes and carrying case is included.
With 16 panels at customizable heights, the Taheetech Playpen allows for maximum space. Extremely durable, rust proof material is easy to fold, store and set up! A door latch makes for easy entrance and exit.
- 16 panels allow for multiple configurations to fit desired space.
- Easy to assemble, no tools required. Also easy to disassemble and store.
- Constructed of premium iron powder coated panels and stakes for maximum durability.
The BestPet playpen comes in three heights and two different styles. Constructed of heavy duty, rust-proof material, the Best Pet Playpen is durable enough to use outside. This playpen is lightweight and collapses easily for storage.
- Assemble and change the shape of the playpen without tools
- Heavy duty material is suitable for indoor or outdoor use.
- Portable, lightweight and easy to store.
This AmazonBasics 8 panel playpen can be customized into four different colors. Constructed of heavy duty industrial plastic, the AmazonBasics can be used indoors and outdoors. This playpen also includes a lockable gate.
- Heavy duty plastic is also lightweight and easy to store.
- The AmazonBasics has a hinged, lockable gate.
- Modular locking panels allow you to customize the shape and size.
With three sizes and 9 colors, the HORNIG Dog playpen can be customized to design preference. The easy to assemble playpen folds down to one panel for easy storage. The HORING Dog playpen is machine washable.
- Machine washable for easy cleaning.
- Assembles in seconds and stores down to a single, thin panel.
- Multiple colors allow for complete customization.
This modular system is made of either wire or transparent material. High quality steel allows for sturdy design. Multi-angle connectors make it easy to assemble.
- High-quality steel panels and resistant plastic connectors add to extra durability.
- Provides 28 square feet of space for play.
- Cable ties and anti-slip technology keeps playpen firmly connected.
The built-in hinged, flip down door provides easy access for your pet. This 8-panel design is idea for smaller dogs. The Rackaphile can be expanded for more space.
- Durable and sturdy, fashioned with small connectors it takes only minutes to install
- The powder-coated steel wire panels withstand years of use.
- Easy to customized into preferred shape and design.
Enclosure or small puppies; the top zipper provides easy access. The Etna Puppy Playpen is portable and lightweight. Easy to store and great for travel!
- Top zipper for easy enclosure.
- Ideal for small dogs or puppies.
- Machine washable.
With three different colors, the X-ZONE PET playpen can be assembled in seconds. Locking zippers provide extra security. The top cover and bottom are easily removed for easy washing.
- Easy to assemble; opens up in seconds.
- Top and bottom panels are removable for machine washing.
- Locking zippers provide extra security.
This stylist, 8-panel portable playpen is customizable in four colors and provides a roomy interior. The playpen comes in three sizes: small, medium and large. For indoor or outdoor use, the Zampa portable playpen also comes with ground stakes for extra stability.
- Customize to three different sizes: small ,medium and large.
- Pop open and assembles in seconds.
- Mesh top provides air flow and breathability.
Extremely high-quality material provides extra durability. Lightweight and easy to store, this playpen assembles in seconds. Side pockets provide extra storage space for treats.
- High-quality, durable material that also provides air flow and breathability.
- Lightweight and easy to store. Assembles in seconds.
- Pet Playpen comes in two sizes, medium and large.
45″ wide and 24″ high, the SKA Portable Puppy Playpen comes in 8 different colors. Easy to assemble, the SKA Portable Playpen comes with a carrying case. Mesh windows provide visibility and air flow.
- This playpen includes a removable with water resistant floor and a zip off mesh skylight.
- Easy to assemble and collapsible for easy storage.
- With 8 different styles, the SKA Products includes a matching carrying case.
With two doors and a zip off top for easy access, the Petsfit Pop Up provides durable and spacious playtime. Small side pockets store extra goods in the Petsfit Pop Up. 8 mesh windows provide extra breathability.
- The Petsfit can be folded flat and held in a carrying case. The folded size 21″LX18W” x 2″ H.
- Easy assembly, no tools required.
- Reinforced zippers and fabric sides provide durability.
Water resistant materials in the Richell Playpen offer indoor and outdoor use. The 3-in-1 pet playpen can provide a gate or a room divider. Customizable for a 4 or 6 panel playpen.
- Two customizable sizes with either 4 or 6 panels.
- Playpen can also be unconnected to do double duty as a room gate.
- Water resistant material provides for indoor or outdoor use.
The Precision Pet is extremely durable, with heavy duty zippers and reinforced sides. This pet playpen is washable and works indoors or outdoors. The fabric in the Precision Pet Play Yard is waterproof and washable and provides high visibility.
- Removable top and bottom for easy washing with reinforced zippers and sides.
- Soft-sided dog pen includes a side hole and pocket for dispensing water for easy access to water for pets
- Easy to transport and store; takes up minimal storage space.
The waterproof bottom in the A4Pet Headquarters is removable and washable. Set up takes seconds; collapses in seconds for easy storage. Constructed of durable nylon, this playpen works both indoors and out.
- Easy to clean, waterproof bottom.
- No assembly required; pops up in seconds.
- Removable top and bottom for maximum airflow.
With two doors for convenient access inside and out and mesh panels, the Jespet Pet Dog Playpen provides open ventilation. Two side storage doors provide places to store a leash and treats. Easy to assemble and disassemble, the Jespet Pet Playpen is extremely lightweight.
- The Jespet comes in two sizes and three colors.
- 8 panels constructed of mesh provide ultimate ventilation.
- Sturdy zippers, reinforced corners and washable fabric make the Jespet suitable for indoor and outdoor use.
With a unique, two story design, the Midwest Homes for Pet playpen provides opportunities for multiple dogs, which can be expanded for more room. The playpen folds flat, which makes storage simple. Two side doors provide easy access.
- The Midwest Home comes in three sizes: small, medium and large.
- Side bolt latches provide extra security.
- Black electro-coat finish provides durability suitable for indoor and outdoor use.
The Petego Umbra Pet Portable dog tent is a multifunctional playspace that provides a small room and containment for your pet. This play place is easy to assemble, waterproof, and also contains a tent over the space for extra weather proofing. The Petego includes a carrying case and can be installed or stored in seconds.
- Large mesh windows provide extra ventilation; umbrella provides extra weatherproofing.
- The Petego pops open in seconds and is easy to assemble and disassemble for easy storage.
- Carrying care included for clean, comfortable storage.
Best Dog Playpen Buying Guide
Getting a dog playpen is the perfect way to give your dog some exercise without the danger of him or her running out into the street, as well as the perfect way to give them their own space indoors.
But choosing the best pet playpen can be pretty difficult.
That’s why we have created this buying guide. This guide will help you decide what kind is best for you and your dog. Let’s get started.
Things to consider
As we said earlier, the purpose of a playpen is very simple. To keep your dog or your puppy safe and secure inside the play area. However, the reasons for buying vary from one dog parent to the other. And therein lies the difference.
The intended use: What is the intended use of the playpen? Do you want a durable playpen that can be installed in the lawn giving your dog ample room to play? Then you might want to check out the hardwire metal dog exercise pen from Midwest. It gives your dog a 16-square feet play area and is best suited for outdoor use. For indoor use or for potty training, even the soft playpens from Esk and Elitefield will do fine.
The size of your pet: Always consider the size of the pet before selecting a playpen. You want the pet to have ample room for rest and play. But it is also important to select playpens that they cannot break out of. With puppies, consider the possibility that your puppy might outgrow the play pen in a few months.
Material: While metal is the most desirable playpen material for obvious reasons, it is not always a prerequisite. Plastic playpens like the IRIS Exercise Panel Pet Playpen are cheaper and are equally durable. Mesh playpens are best suited for puppies and well-behaved small breed dogs. If your dog is a certified chewer, then it might not be the best of options at hand.
Roof: Not all playpens have a roof. But not all pet parents look for playpens with a roof. For outdoor use, playpens like the Midwest foldable or the Pet Trex 8 panel roof-less ones work best. If you feel that the puppy might pole vault their way out, look for a playpen with a roof.
Price: Last but not the least, always consider the price as the least important variable. If you try to cut corners with the price, you might end up with a cheaply made gimcrack that your puppy will destroy in no time. Having said that, we have included some good quality playpen for dogs at prices that don’t break the bank. Hope that one of these works for you.
The size of your playpen will depend upon several factors. One of the major ones things to consider is what breed of dog you own.
Larger breeds are obviously going to be the most expensive and difficult when it comes to an exercise playpen for dogs. That’s because they need a whole lot more space than the smallest breeds. Large dog breeds like the Great Dane, Newfoundland, Neapolitan Mastiff or English Mastiff are going to need a much bigger large dog playpen with top because they can easily jump over most of the ones that are out there.
With medium breeds, such as Border Collies, German Shepherds, Labs, Golden Retrievers, Irish Setters and Beagles, you can go with an average-sized outdoor playpen. Generally, playpens are designed with medium dogs in mind, although some of them actually specify what size of dog works best with that particular playpen.
Small breeds are the easiest to accommodate. They don’t need nearly as much space to run around and you can get away with a fairly inexpensive outdoor playpen and still give them plenty of space and include room for them to eat. You may want to utilize a tool like dog activity monitors that will let you know whether your dog is on the move and getting enough exercise in their pen or whether you need to expand it and give them some more space. But almost any outdoor kennel out there will work for smaller breeds like the bichon frise, Chihuahua, poodle, Pomeranian, Terriers or toy dogs.
Indoors vs. Outdoor
You will have to determine whether your playpen is going to be an outdoor playpen or an inside playpen. Some playpens may even work well as both if they are easily collapsible and transportable. There are plenty of folding playpens that can be set up in literally seconds and then moved indoors or outdoors when needed.
The material that you choose for your playpen for dogs is also important. There are three main materials that these dog playpens are made out of.
Metal playpens are more expensive than the other materials out there, but they are also more durable. A metal playpen is going to last you for a long time. However, you also want to make sure that you choose the right kind of metal. If you have a steel playpen that has the ability to rust, and you leave it out in the rain, then it is going to look ugly and have less security than it did before. Stainless steel that doesn’t rust may be your best option.
Dog playpens made of plastic are a lot more lightweight than their steel counterparts. But they are the best when it comes to trying to bridge the gap between price and stability. A mesh playpen is going to blow away quickly when the wind picks up, but one made out of plastic may not. On the other hand, plastic is a lot less expensive than metal, but not nearly as sturdy.
Finally, you can choose mesh playpens, which are made of even cheaper materials and cost less than plastic or steel, but you are pretty much restricted to using them indoors. Mesh playpens are lightweight, easy to set up and can be transported with no problem, but they have disadvantages as well; like not being able to use them outside.
Ease of Setup
Another thing that you want to consider is how easy the unit is to set up. If you are setting up the playpen permanently in your home or out in the backyard, this is not as big of a consideration. However, most people want portability and that means breaking it down and moving it somewhere else when they want to.
If you are getting a play area for your puppy, then you may want to consider getting one that has room to grow. Being able to add panels later on as your dog grows can be extremely useful because otherwise, you will have to either stop using the playpen; or you will have to replace it with a larger one.
Expandable playpens usually are composed of universal panels that fit together in any direction. The model that you buy may have extra panels that you don’t need it first, or you may have to go to the manufacturer website and order more panels. In either case, you should be able to extend it to fit as much space you happen to have in your yard or apartment.
Go with our top choice. You and your dog will be satisfied.
- Best Outdoor Dog Kennel
- Best Dog Crate
- Best Small Dog Crate
- Best Large Dog Crate
- Best Heavy Duty Dog Crate
- Best Dog Bed
- Best Automatic Dog Feeder
- Best Dog House
- Best Dog Bowl
- Best Dog Cooling Pad
- Best Dog Heating Pad
- Best Dog Gate
- Best Indestructible Dog Bed
- Best Pillow Dog Bed
- Best Portable Dog Crate