In our guide, we’ll explore the best dog proof litter boxes, and highlight the best features of each. In the end, our buyer’s guide will simplify the task of choosing a litter box that will fit you and your cat’s needs, and exclude your dog.
Best Dog Proof Litter Boxes
Here are our dog proof litter box reviews.
The Catit Jumbo Hooded Cat Litter Pan is created with a swinging door and a large hood. The hood raises for easy access and simple cleaning. It is designed to keep the dog out and the kitty litter in.
- The integrated carbon filter helps remove odors as air circulates
- Enclosed design provides comforting privacy for cats
- Created entirely from BPA-free materials for optimal health and safety
The Petmate Litter Pan is a tall, top-entry style litter box. It is designed with high walls for maximum privacy and litter containment. The top-entry deters dogs from interfering or digging in the litter.
- Litter-Cling Lid prevents messes by wiping paws with special texturing
- Constructed from recycled plastic
- Extra tall walls help to prevent dogs from getting into the litter
The IRIS Top Entry Cat Litter Box is a unique, top-entry style litter box. It is constructed from BPA-free materials for your pet’s safety. The high walls and top entry keep out curious dogs.
- The stylish and unique lid helps reduce litter tracking by allowing the cat’s toes to spread before leaving
- Designed with rounded corners to make cleaning easier
- Includes a free litter scoop
The Petmate Booda Dome is a covered and domed litter box. It is up to 50% larger than the average litter box. The covered design keeps the litter hidden from curious and adventurous dogs.
- Available in two sizes to fit all cats
- The rounded design makes it super easy to clean
- Built-in charcoal filter greatly reduces odors
The AmazonBasics Hooded Cat Litter Box is a great option for a covered litter box. The hood snaps on securely and provides a feeling of privacy for the cat. It is constructed from durable polypropylene plastic for effortless cleaning.
- Available in a variety of sizes and styles
- Includes a carbon filter to reduce odors that would otherwise escape into your home
- The swinging door can be opened easily by small cats but helps deter dogs from entering
The Van Ness Cat Pan has a locking lid is an odor-reducing enclosed cat litter box. The locking lid secures against any overly curious canine inspection. It also has a swinging door to keep fido out and odors in.
- Constructed from durable and easy to clean plastic
- Large pan means less frequent cleanings
- Built-in zeolite air filter for class-leading odor control
The PetSafe ScoopFree Ultra is a self-cleaning covered litter box. It is designed to use PetSafe disposable litter trays. The sturdy hood covering the litter box helps to keep out the family dog.
- Available in a front-entry to top-entry style
- Digital counter for monitoring the number of bathroom trips
- Automatically cleans after a set interval, so the temptation for dogs to investigate is reduced
The ecoFlex Litter Loo is a dog-proof container for your cat’s litter box. The enclosed design is made from a composite material that will not absorb any waste products. It doubles as a stylish end table for any room.
- ecoFlex composite will outlast wood and will not absorb liquids, odors, or warp
- Sealed to protect floors from messes, and easily wipes clean
- Durable construction keeps the family dog from getting into the litter box and making a mess
The Cat Washroom Bench is an enclosed cat litter box. It is designed to fit any litter box and to double as a small bench with storage. The small door and sturdy construction keep fido out of the cat’s business.
- Available in two colors
- Designed to fit even large automatic litter boxes
- Pre-cut opening and magnetic doors restrict access to inquisitive dogs
The Modkat Litter Box is a high-wall top-entry litter box. The high walls and top-entry deter dogs from interfering with the litter. The lid locks in place for an additional safeguard against curious dogs and to ensure a safe exit.
- The lid has an integrated litter removal texture to reduce tracking
- Available in three colors
- Includes a free scoop and reusable liner
Dog Proof Litter Box Buyer’s Guide
Before buying a dog proof litter box, there are a couple of factors you should consider first. You should take into account where you’ll be keeping the litter box, the number of cats that will be using it, and how persistent your dog is.
When considering where you’ll be keeping the litter box, the area available will largely determine the size and shape of the boxes that will fit. For smaller areas, you will likely be better served by a top-entry style, as they tend to be taller and have smaller footprints than the traditional rectangular or domed litter boxes. For larger areas, you will have more freedom to choose a style that appeals to you, without worrying about the size. Large boxes will include the enclosed bench or table types, self-cleaning types, and domes.
For households that have multiple cats, you should take care to allow enough space to obtain one of the larger enclosed boxes, or domes. They will all allow for larger quantities of litter to be used while maintaining a modest box cleaning schedule.
The final factor to consider is how persistent your dog is. Most dogs can be deterred from getting into the litter box by a simple function of its design. Top-entry boxes are simply too tall for most dogs to lean their head in and don’t allow enough room for them to really interfere. Domes and enclosed boxes also restrict the dog’s access by simply having an access door or hole that they cannot fit into, thus the litter is more or less entirely hidden from them. The most persistent dogs will likely only be deterred by the bench or table style boxes. These will be the most durable against curious nosing and persistent paws, resisting both opening and tipping over.
Dog Proof Litter Box Review Conclusion
We hope that our guide has helped you decide what will be the best dog proof litter box for your home. As long as you take into account the size of the area the box will be stored in, the number of cats using it, and how persistent and determined your dog is, you will be well equipped to choose the best box for your needs.
- Best Dog Food
- Best Dog Bowl
- Best Automatic Dog Feeder
- Best Interactive Dog Toys
- Best Dog Playpen
- Best Outdoor Dog Kennel
- Best Dog House
- Best Dog Crate
- Best Dog Treat
- Best Automatic Fetch Machine
- Best Dog Activity Monitor
- Best Dog Food Container
- Best Electronic Dog Door
- Best Dog Ramp
- Best Dog Cooling Vest
- Best GPS Tracker for Dogs
- Best Dog Bed
- Best Dog Cooling Pad
- Best Indestructible Dog Bed